Choice For Women/18 Years Payments For Men

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Upfront, I'm against abortion. However, we live in a country where women have the choice to carry or not to term. Birth control is easy, effective, and affordable. If one can't afford, can pick up condoms at health services for the county or likely your public high schools.

First up:

Florida Man Tricked His Girlfriend Into Taking Abortion Pill | Yahoo! Health

Florida Man Tricked His Girlfriend Into Taking Abortion Pill
By Justin Caba
Wed, Sep 11, 2013

John Andrew Welden, 28, faces the possibility of 13 years in prison after he admitted to slipping his girlfriend Remee Jo Lee the abortion pill, which resulted in the loss of the couple’s unborn child. The resident of Florida pleaded guilty to federal charges of product tampering and mail fraud on Monday, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

During court proceedings, Lee’s attorney, Monica Sanchez, introduced text messages between the couple that showed Lee’s happiness over the positive pregnancy and Welden’s dissatisfaction. Welden’s sentencing date is scheduled for Dec. 5.

“She is going through depression and is being treated, but she is trying to move on,” Monica Sanchez told ABC News. “Nothing in the world, even if he was sentenced to life in prison, will bring her baby back."

After he was arrested in May, Welden was convicted on a first-degree murder charge; however, prosecutors dropped the murder charge for mail fraud in accord with the guilty plea. According to the plea agreement, when Lee was six to seven weeks pregnant, Welden removed identifying marks from the drug misoprostol, marketed as Cytotec, and gave it to his girlfriend who thought she was taking amoxicillin for an infection.

Welden also admitted to forging a prescription through his father, OB-GYN Dr. Stephen Welden, so he could add Lee’s name as well as a different medication's name to the pill bottle used to hold the abortion pill.

Shortly after she unknowingly ingested misoprostol, Lee started to experience severe pain and cramps that eventually led to a miscarriage. “Misoprostol may endanger pregnancy (may cause abortion) and thereby cause harm to the fetus when administered to a pregnant woman,” states the pharmaceutical company that produces the pill.

"Whenever a woman is robbed of her ability to give birth and have a child, I don't think there's any greater harm you can cause somebody," Lee's other attorney, Gil Sanchez, told the Associated Press. "She's devastated. She still can't believe this happened to her."

So he is getting likely 13 years or so. If she chose to abort, he'd have no say.

Seems we need some sort of fairness in cases of unmarried women that choose to keep their child.

If the 'partner' doesn't want the child, he can't force an abortion, that is murder or whatever charge the state chooses to bring. But, should he be forced to pay child support? I say, "No." The woman can be sure to use effective birth control or let the man sign away all rights to the child and she can raise the child.

Think Scott Peterson.

Scott Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly different in that they were married and killed his wife too, but 2 counts:

Sentencing[edit source | editbeta]
San Quentin State Prison, where Peterson is incarcerated

On March 16, 2005, Judge Alfred A. Delucchi formally sentenced Scott Peterson to death, calling the murder of his wife "cruel, uncaring, heartless, and callous".[37] The prescribed method of execution was lethal injection. He also denied the defense's request (which was based on evidence of juror misconduct and media influence) for a new trial and ordered Peterson to pay $10,000 toward the cost of Laci Peterson's funeral.

In the early morning hours of Wednesday, March 17, 2005, Peterson arrived at San Quentin State Prison. Peterson was reported not to have slept the night before, being too "jazzed" to sleep, calling some to question his state of mind.[38] [39][40] Peterson joined other inmates in California's sole death row facility while his case is on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California in San Francisco. National Geographic made a documentary on San Quentin prison, with Scott Peterson's admission to the prison covered in its Part Two.[41]

On July 6, 2012, Peterson's lawyer, Cliff Gardner, filed a 423-page appeal of his sentence.[42]

Hasan was also charged with murdering one of his pregnant victims unborn baby.

Currently only women have a choice. I agree that the way the law is now, they should have those choices, but with it should come the responsibility of caring for the child. If the male chooses to not exercise his parental rights, he shouldn't have to pay for the child.

Women do pay if the husband has custodial rights. Rightfully so.

A man should have the right to sign away parental rights during the pregnancy, not after.

Women do pay if the husband has custodial rights. Rightfully so.

A man should have the right to sign away parental rights during the pregnancy, not after.

First time for everything, I agree.

Marriage contract is different. I am speaking of unmarried couples having consensual relations. The man should be able to sign out up to birth of child.

If the guy didnt want to have a child he should not have had sex. Once you make that decision you must deal with the results. He is not a victim.

Last edited:
so should women have to pay when the man raises the child without the Mother.

I got custody of my daughter when she was 7 months old (long story, my X did the right thing for my daughter) my X was suppose to pay court ordered child support $65.00 a month but she rarely did.

So yes, it's a possibility.

I got custody of my daughter when she was 7 months old (long story, my X did the right thing for my daughter) my X was suppose to pay court ordered child support $65.00 a month but she rarely did.

I fought for my oldest for years and finally got full custody at the age of 11. Her mom was supposed to pay but never did.

I fought for my oldest for years and finally got full custody at the age of 11. Her mom was supposed to pay but never did.

I was just glad to get custody.. child support..eh

Yeah I didnt even push it i was so relieved just to have her.

If the guy didnt want to have a child he should not have had sex. Once you make that decision you must deal with the results. He is not a victim.

Sorry, it takes two. What you say of the man is true too of the woman. So, they can reach agreement to raise the child, she could exercise her right to terminate pregnancy, he can sign away his rights.

The woman makes the choice whether or not to carry. If she decides she wants a baby cause her clock is running out, she shouldn't be able to stick someone else with supplementing her income.

Sorry, it takes two. What you say of the man is true too of the woman. So, they can reach agreement to raise the child, she could exercise her right to terminate pregnancy, he can sign away his rights.

The woman makes the choice whether or not to carry. If she decides she wants a baby cause her clock is running out, she shouldn't be able to stick someone else with supplementing her income.

I agree it takes 2. She is not sticking someone else with supplementing income. She sticking the father of the child. In this case she wanted to have the child. Unless the law has changed he cant sign away his rights unless she agrees. Sucks for the guy but he could always abstain and not have to face that problem.

Last edited:
Upfront, I'm against abortion. However, we live in a country where women have the choice to carry or not to term. Birth control is easy, effective, and affordable. If one can't afford, can pick up condoms at health services for the county or likely your public high schools.

First up:

By Justin Caba
Wed, Sep 11, 2013

John Andrew Welden, 28, faces the possibility of 13 years in prison after he admitted to slipping his girlfriend Remee Jo Lee the abortion pill, which resulted in the loss of the couple’s unborn child. The resident of Florida pleaded guilty to federal charges of product tampering and mail fraud on Monday, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

During court proceedings, Lee’s attorney, Monica Sanchez, introduced text messages between the couple that showed Lee’s happiness over the positive pregnancy and Welden’s dissatisfaction. Welden’s sentencing date is scheduled for Dec. 5.

“She is going through depression and is being treated, but she is trying to move on,” Monica Sanchez told ABC News. “Nothing in the world, even if he was sentenced to life in prison, will bring her baby back."

After he was arrested in May, Welden was convicted on a first-degree murder charge; however, prosecutors dropped the murder charge for mail fraud in accord with the guilty plea. According to the plea agreement, when Lee was six to seven weeks pregnant, Welden removed identifying marks from the drug misoprostol, marketed as Cytotec, and gave it to his girlfriend who thought she was taking amoxicillin for an infection.

Welden also admitted to forging a prescription through his father, OB-GYN Dr. Stephen Welden, so he could add Lee’s name as well as a different medication's name to the pill bottle used to hold the abortion pill.

Shortly after she unknowingly ingested misoprostol, Lee started to experience severe pain and cramps that eventually led to a miscarriage. “Misoprostol may endanger pregnancy (may cause abortion) and thereby cause harm to the fetus when administered to a pregnant woman,” states the pharmaceutical company that produces the pill.

"Whenever a woman is robbed of her ability to give birth and have a child, I don't think there's any greater harm you can cause somebody," Lee's other attorney, Gil Sanchez, told the Associated Press. "She's devastated. She still can't believe this happened to her."

So he is getting likely 13 years or so. If she chose to abort, he'd have no say.

Seems we need some sort of fairness in cases of unmarried women that choose to keep their child.

If the 'partner' doesn't want the child, he can't force an abortion, that is murder or whatever charge the state chooses to bring. But, should he be forced to pay child support? I say, "No." The woman can be sure to use effective birth control or let the man sign away all rights to the child and she can raise the child.

Everyone’s opposed to abortion, the disagreement is how to end it.

Yeah I didnt even push it i was so relieved just to have her.

Fathers should have equal rights when it comes to child custody now-a-days

That bs. of women being the only and best nurturers is no longer true...some are great Moms but many simply suck at it.

First up:

By Justin Caba
Wed, Sep 11, 2013

Everyone’s opposed to abortion, the disagreement is how to end it.

Pure Bullshit...It's obvious that liberals prefer to use abortion as birth control..

Last edited:
Think Scott Peterson.

Scott Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly different in that they were married and killed his wife too, but 2 counts:

Sentencing[edit source | editbeta]
San Quentin State Prison, where Peterson is incarcerated

On March 16, 2005, Judge Alfred A. Delucchi formally sentenced Scott Peterson to death, calling the murder of his wife "cruel, uncaring, heartless, and callous".[37] The prescribed method of execution was lethal injection. He also denied the defense's request (which was based on evidence of juror misconduct and media influence) for a new trial and ordered Peterson to pay $10,000 toward the cost of Laci Peterson's funeral.

In the early morning hours of Wednesday, March 17, 2005, Peterson arrived at San Quentin State Prison. Peterson was reported not to have slept the night before, being too "jazzed" to sleep, calling some to question his state of mind.[38] [39][40] Peterson joined other inmates in California's sole death row facility while his case is on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California in San Francisco. National Geographic made a documentary on San Quentin prison, with Scott Peterson's admission to the prison covered in its Part Two.[41]

On July 6, 2012, Peterson's lawyer, Cliff Gardner, filed a 423-page appeal of his sentence.[42]

Hasan was also charged with murdering one of his pregnant victims unborn baby.

Currently only women have a choice. I agree that the way the law is now, they should have those choices, but with it should come the responsibility of caring for the child. If the male chooses to not exercise his parental rights, he shouldn't have to pay for the child.

You’re confusing civil law with criminal law.

A woman’s right to privacy is predicated on substantive due process in civil law, where the state is prohibited from interfering with a woman’s right to decide to have a child or not prior to fetal viability.

The arrest of Welden concerns criminal law in the context of procedural due process, where he acted in an alleged criminal manner against the woman without her consent.

The Perterson case is also criminal law, not civil.

Consequently, there is nothing ‘inconsistent’ or ‘hypocritical’ about an outside actor harming a pregnant woman, where that actor is charged with two murders in the context of criminal law, and a woman seeking to end her pregnancy on her own accord, in the context of the right to privacy, where the state is prohibited from interfering as a matter of civil law.

Forum List

Back