~Chocolate Gravy~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Some of y'all might be wrinkling your noses and thinking...chocolate gravy??
But it is mostly a southern thing I'm assuming, because when I tell people about it, if they aren't from the south, they have no clue what I'm talking about.
But it really is some good stuff, a bit rich, so I just eat a tad when I do get some.......I learned how to make it from my Granny...and I make it maybe once or twice a year, yeah, that's it.

But you take 3 tablespoons of cocoa
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar

Place in saucepan and stir together and then take HOT water, and add just a small amount to these dry ingredients, just enough to make a 'paste'.
Then place on stove top, add 1 more cup of water, and stir over medium high heat till it comes to a boil and it will thicken in a short time.

It's rather fudgy.
And we serve it over biscuits with butter.

But it is mostly a southern thing I'm assuming, because when I tell people about it, if they aren't from the south, they have no clue what I'm talking about.
But it really is some good stuff, a bit rich, so I just eat a tad when I do get some.......I learned how to make it from my Granny...and I make it maybe once or twice a year, yeah, that's it.

2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar

Place in saucepan and stir together and then take HOT water, and add just a small amount to these dry ingredients, just enough to make a 'paste'.
Then place on stove top, add 1 more cup of water, and stir over medium high heat till it comes to a boil and it will thicken in a short time.

It's rather fudgy.

Sounds like just chocolate sauce you put on ice cream.

2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar

It's rather fudgy.

Sounds like just chocolate sauce you put on ice cream.

Maybe a bit. But, I am thinking of how they both taste, and I wouldn't want to put that hot fudge sauce over my biscuit and eat it, so they do have a different distinct taste, each of their own.
The gravy is best with butter, but some prefer not to add butter, but when the butter melts, it's more appealing :lol:

omg did you just ask yourself how can i make biscuits and gravy even more fattening lol...

:lol:
What's even worse......I can't even make sausage gravy!
I haven't practiced much, but I just can't seem to get it to look anything like gravy.
But now this chocolate stuff....oh yeah..it's gravy :)

My Granny made this stuff when I was about 7, that's the first time I remember eating it. It's different. And like I said, I only make it occasionally, twice a year if I'm lucky.

i use bacon to make gravy..sausage tends to be too dry and i dont like chucks of it in my gravy......go with bacon...add some flour....then add some milk....just watch how you add the milk.....slow is the key... gravy is easy....just use bacon grease...

omg did you just ask yourself how can i make biscuits and gravy even more fattening lol...

:lol:
What's even worse......I can't even make sausage gravy!
I haven't practiced much, but I just can't seem to get it to look anything like gravy.
But now this chocolate stuff....oh yeah..it's gravy :)

My Granny made this stuff when I was about 7, that's the first time I remember eating it. It's different. And like I said, I only make it occasionally, twice a year if I'm lucky.

I make this very unusual and fantastic crab dip every Christmas. Once a year. We have a crab fest every year beginning of the summer. The leftover crab meat (claws, etc.) is shucked and bagged, and frozen. De-thawed and used in the crab dip when the snow's flying. A yearly tradition!

okay warrior how did we go from fattening ass chocolate gravy to crab dip?

o and another rule.....post the recipe for the crab dip

any of them traditions mentions men's fashion or the habit of shirt wearing

okay warrior how did we go from fattening ass chocolate gravy to crab dip?

o and another rule.....post the recipe for the crab dip

any of them traditions mentions men's fashion or the habit of shirt wearing

I will have to locate that. I will ask the wife where it is.
It is a long-passed down recipe from a dear friend of mine named Beth, in Norfolk, Va.
Probably in a shirt pocket somewhere... LOL!

Forum List

Back