Chmn of Joint Chiefs: We Can Leave Iraq

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Top US Military Officer: Military Can Meet Obama Demands

WASHINGTON — The top U.S. military officer said Tuesday the Pentagon is developing plans to get troops quickly out of Iraq and into Afghanistan to battle a more confident and successful Taliban.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told The Associated Press in an interview that the military can make the changes President-elect Barack Obama wants in both wars.

"I've been listening to the campaign, and I understand," Mullen said. "And he has certainly reinforced that since the election, so from a planning standpoint, we are looking at that as well."

___

AP Military Writer Robert Burns contributed to this report.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we're finally getting serious about tracking down Obama and Alqada?

That's nice.

7 years late, of course, but better late than never.

So we're finally getting serious about tracking down Obama and Alqada?

That's nice.

7 years late, of course, but better late than never.

So you support a plan to invade Pakistan? If Bush suggested it you would be howling mad about WW3, but let Obama say it and plan for it and you are just fine with it?

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out; particularly if Obama decides the US should unilaterally violate Pakistani soveriegnty.

First, you don't have to invade Pakistan. If you have solid information on terrorists/Al Quaeda that are hitting our troops, you go after them with special forces/weapons. Obama said that in the campaign and McCain attacked him for giving away our plans.

Second, Ossama is probably dead according to what the intelligence can figure out.

Third, since Afghanistan was the only really justified war on Al Quaeda, maybe we should go back and finish it correctly if that is possible seeing as how the Greeks, Russians and everyone else who tried this failed.

Fourth, however, since liberals don't love this country as much as conservacraps do, we will probably just surrender to them.:cuckoo:

First, you don't have to invade Pakistan. If you have solid information on terrorists/Al Quaeda that are hitting our troops, you go after them with special forces/weapons. Obama said that in the campaign and McCain attacked him for giving away our plans.

Second, Ossama is probably dead according to what the intelligence can figure out.

Third, since Afghanistan was the only really justified war on Al Quaeda, maybe we should go back and finish it correctly if that is possible seeing as how the Greeks, Russians and everyone else who tried this failed.

Fourth, however, since liberals don't love this country as much as conservacraps do, we will probably just surrender to them.:cuckoo:

Ah, so special forces/weapon strikes inside Pakistan do not constitute a violation of national sovereignty in your book. Therefore, you must find the criticism of Bush's authorization unfounded and possibly even the correct thing to do. How do you reconcile that philosophy with your hatred of all thing related to Bush?

• Thanks
Reactions: del
So you support a plan to invade Pakistan? If Bush suggested it you would be howling mad about WW3, but let Obama say it and plan for it and you are just fine with it?

Were I king of America, there wouldn't be a rock in the world that Ossama Bin Laden was safe under.

Not even if he hid under the dome of the rock.

Were I king of America, there wouldn't be a rock in the world that Ossama Bin Laden was safe under.

Not even if he hid under the dome of the rock.

From a military perspective, that would be sound ... no safe haven for ones enemies.

A point of clarification: I specifically used the phrase "violation of national sovereignty" as opposed to the term "invasion" because there is a definite difference in meaning between the two.

A point of clarification: I specifically used the phrase "violation of national sovereignty" as opposed to the term "invasion" because there is a definite difference in meaning between the two.

Which is...?

Which is...?

Violation of national sovereignty encompasses is a much broader list of actions taken by a second nation. Invasion has conotations of cross border incursion by an armed force either airborne or ground mounted or both.

Violation of national sovereignty encompasses is a much broader list of actions taken by a second nation. Invasion has conotations of cross border incursion by an armed force either airborne or ground mounted or both.

Invasion has conotations of overthrowing a government. Violation of national sovereignty sounds like what we did in Syria.

And yet he opposes just such a policy if it is advocated by Bush.

How dare you presume to speak for me?

You wouldn't make a pimple on my ass intellectually, sport.

So assuming that you can understand better than I do what I believe, want or expect, or what my words mean other than exactly what I have written is way the fuck beyond your pay grade, pal.

Invasion has conotations of overthrowing a government. Violation of national sovereignty sounds like what we did in Syria.

The point is there is a huge difference between the two.

As was recently leaked, Bush authorized special operations/ weapon strikes inside Pakistani borders; some criticized this action. Obama has indicated he would advocate much the same course of action with perhaps even more vigor. It will be interesting to see if Obama recieves like criticism with the same amount of passion (and yes, venom) from some of the posters that inhabit this board.

Forum List

Back