Chivalry

I used to have a simple rule for a woman getting a second date, she had to respond to my chivalry.
Here was the test.
I had a car that required a key to unlock the door (no remote control unlocking mechanism).
I would lock all the doors when after we exited the vehicle on our date (dinner, theater, where ever we went).
Upon return to the vehicle I would approach the passenger side first, unlock the door, open it for her, hold it open until she was properly seated, then close the door.
If she didn't reach over and unlock the drivers side door by the time I walked around to the other side of the car, she didn't get a second date.

Sounds reasonable. That is the type of thing I meant many posts ago. I would hope that women are more conscious of being 'just polite human beings', along with me. I do see some improvements regarding basic manners or 'just being polite' among both men and women. Back when Chicago was a prairie, it was men that 'doted on women.' Then came the 70's and everything turned upside down. Then everyone became rude. Some men were blasted for holding a door for some women, women didn't think they 'owed' anything to anyone, many even their husband or children. Courtesies went to the wayside. It was warlike; from classrooms, to boardrooms, to bedreooms.

I think it's swinging back to a more reasonable level. An elderly or handicapped man should not be expected to give up a train seat to an able bodied female. Younger men and women should certainly do so for aged or handicapped or 'loaded down' people of any age. If shopping and are at the door and see someone approaching holding packages or a stroller, I'll take the extra minute to hold the door for them, I've had others do the same, of both sexes.

The other day I went to my local library, as I was walking in, but still in the parking lot, a woman with a walker was heading towards the cars, she was going mighty slow. I asked her if she needed any help? She said, "No, that little one-maybe 7, is my son, he'll catch up in a minute. I've MS and it's acting up." I looked and saw he had bags of books on the ground and was playing on a statuary. She then said, "Do you know that you've been the third person to ask? fifteen years ago people would have just averted their eyes." I think she's right.

I used to have a simple rule for a woman getting a second date, she had to respond to my chivalry.
Here was the test.
I had a car that required a key to unlock the door (no remote control unlocking mechanism).
I would lock all the doors when after we exited the vehicle on our date (dinner, theater, where ever we went).
Upon return to the vehicle I would approach the passenger side first, unlock the door, open it for her, hold it open until she was properly seated, then close the door.
If she didn't reach over and unlock the drivers side door by the time I walked around to the other side of the car, she didn't get a second date.

What kind of woman wouldn't unlock your door for you? :confused:

One with short arms?

Or the one that after observing his table manners beat him to the no second date decision.:lol:

Here was the test.

What kind of woman wouldn't unlock your door for you? :confused:

He had fastened my seatbelt, I couldn't figure out where the door locks were on a tractor, my left arm was in a sling after he dislocated my shoulder while swing dancing.

I tried.

Forum List

Back