Chirac Warns Taiwan of Referendum

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
PARIS - France's president, in a strong show of support for the visiting leader of China, warned Taiwan on Monday that it will be committing a "grave error" that could destabilize that region by holding a referendum in March.

Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian plans to ask voters whether the island that China claims as part of its territory should beef up its anti-missile defenses — if Beijing refuses to withdraw the hundreds of missiles it has pointed at Taiwan.

At a state dinner to honor Chinese President Hu Jintao, French President Jacques Chirac added his weight to China's opposition to the plan.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=535&e=8&u=/ap/20040126/ap_on_re_eu/france_china

Does France suffer from some kind of superpower penis-envy type disease, or what?

Honestly, I think at this point France and the rest of Europe can screw themselves. Telling the Taiwanese to stop trying to free themselves from the horrible Chinese government is just disgusting.

Just think about all of the atrocities that have gone on in Europe right next to France and they did nothing to stop it. Like tonight, I watched another documentary about the Serbian wars and I was appalled at how the rest of Europe stood by and watched. Oh, they might say they did something by imposing sanctions, which only makes the poor poorer and the rich just as rich, but they really did nothing.

It happened that time and it must happen this time, the US must step in on behalf of Taiwan and support them in whatever way possible.

And all of this is coming from a liberal.

Agreed pj. But as much as I hate to say it, I don't think starting war with china would be good right now, as that would severely distract from the problem of the middle east. I think China may be ready for reform through Hong Kong, Taiwan, inability to care for its civilian population without international help and fear of NK. France's response seems quite rude, and threatens to escalate the conflict. I think the administration's policy towards Taiwan is disappointing until you consider the logistics of encouraging them to draw the referendum. If such a thing passed and China acted with force, the US would be responsible to muster defense. In light of the fact that we are currently engaged elsewhere, I think that would leave the Taiwanese defenseless and open to discrimination from Beijing for too long a period.

Forum List

Back