"Chink in the armor"

Is it racist?

• racsit

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • not racist

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • What butthurt corn hole thought that was racist and made it headline news?!

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Nice to know that some people didn't even notice it.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Do you even know anybody from Taiwan? Serious question.

Hundreds of people. Serious answer. You are just trying to play trivial pursuit now to avoid a position you cannot defend.

And here it is-the lack of analysis. It's clear you don't get my overall point (which ironically I get yours-it's just incorrect as a whole).

To be completely honest: it's sad that you see people as part of groups, rather than as individuals. This type of thinking disallows distinction among people of the similar racial/cultural/religious/ethnic/etc, background. As I said earlier painting everybody from Taiwan as having the same outlook is ironically racist (or at the very minimum stereotyping). It's why when you see a headline saying a "chink in the armor" about a TEAM (not an individual player), you automatically think of race immediately. If you admit that if the headline was isolated from any person based upon race-that it wouldn't be racist-than you're admitting that you view individuals in terms of race (and possibly ethnically/culturally, etc). You wouldn't call it a racist statement if "chink in the armor" was written about a team without any asian players now would you?

That's not to say that you shouldn't notice somebody's race. But the problem is that society sees Lin as an asian basketball player first (rather than simply a basketball player that is asian)-THAT is the problem. Not to mention many people confuse race with culture. While some people may refer to Lin to as an "asian-american"...they may also refer to Yoko Ono as an "asian-american". However that's clearly a blanket term-because I don't think anybody in their right mind would argue that both respective cultural backgrounds are the same (or even very similar).

This could lead to potential tension in other races as well. For example the term "african-american"-while being PC, isn't always 100% accurate now is it? There are many black people who trace their roots back to Jamaica, Haiti, etc. who don't consider themselves to be "african-american". Those cultures will also obviously be different than black people from Europe, or africa, etc. Why? because it's a blanket term-and that's what society (and you) are doing.

In short: you're making this into a much bigger deal than it actually is. "Chink in the armor" is a common saying (when used typically has NO racial connotations at all).

Jeffrey Feldman: The Chink In Obama's Armor

Jeffrey Feldman used the term "chink in Obama's armor" why wouldn't that be racist?

To be completely honest: it's sad that you see people as part of groups, rather than as individuals.

I don't (of course, you fucking idiot). In this case, one or a few individual fucking morons showed unbelievably poor judgment (because they are racist or just because they are remarkably stupid? I know which answer YOU are more comfortable with), and now YOU as an individual apologist are twisting yourself into knots trying to explain away the obvious. You're a fucking fool at the very least.

It's why when you see a headline saying a "chink in the armor" about a TEAM (not an individual player), you automatically think of race immediately.

The expression refers to an individual or singular factor from among many no matter how it is used, you fucking idiot.

You wouldn't call it a racist statement if "chink in the armor" was written about a team without any asian players now would you?

It wouldn't BE racist if it hadn't been used in reference to the ONE Chinese-American player in the entire NBA, YOU FUCKING MORON.

Jeffrey Feldman used the term "chink in Obama's armor" why wouldn't that be racist?

Because obama is not Chinese-American and it was not used as a 'clever' reference to that, YOU UNBELIEVABLE FUCKING MORON.

How the fuck do you manage to turn on a computer, being as stupid as you obviously are?

what a sad world we live in today. Whem certain groups seem to own certain words and expressions, and people lose their jobs over common expressions when others are too ignorant to know the meanings.

Do you even know anybody from Taiwan? Serious question.

Hundreds of people. Serious answer. You are just trying to play trivial pursuit now to avoid a position you cannot defend.

And here it is-the lack of analysis. It's clear you don't get my overall point (which ironically I get yours-it's just incorrect as a whole).

To be completely honest: it's sad that you see people as part of groups, rather than as individuals. This type of thinking disallows distinction among people of the similar racial/cultural/religious/ethnic/etc, background. As I said earlier painting everybody from Taiwan as having the same outlook is ironically racist (or at the very minimum stereotyping). It's why when you see a headline saying a "chink in the armor" about a TEAM (not an individual player), you automatically think of race immediately. If you admit that if the headline was isolated from any person based upon race-that it wouldn't be racist-than you're admitting that you view individuals in terms of race (and possibly ethnically/culturally, etc). You wouldn't call it a racist statement if "chink in the armor" was written about a team without any asian players now would you?

That's not to say that you shouldn't notice somebody's race. But the problem is that society sees Lin as an asian basketball player first (rather than simply a basketball player that is asian)-THAT is the problem. Not to mention many people confuse race with culture. While some people may refer to Lin to as an "asian-american"...they may also refer to Yoko Ono as an "asian-american". However that's clearly a blanket term-because I don't think anybody in their right mind would argue that both respective cultural backgrounds are the same (or even very similar).

This could lead to potential tension in other races as well. For example the term "african-american"-while being PC, isn't always 100% accurate now is it? There are many black people who trace their roots back to Jamaica, Haiti, etc. who don't consider themselves to be "african-american". Those cultures will also obviously be different than black people from Europe, or africa, etc. Why? because it's a blanket term-and that's what society (and you) are doing.

In short: you're making this into a much bigger deal than it actually is. "Chink in the armor" is a common saying (when used typically has NO racial connotations at all).

Dude, have you been paying attention to how the whole "Linsanity" thing has been handled by media organizations?

Up until the whole "chink in the armor" headline they were falling over each to make the next pun or double entrende driven headline.

While I agree that "chink in the armor" is an expression that does not have racial connotations when it is used as a headline about an Asian player during a time when pun filled headlines are dominating the coverage of said Asian player it's an issue. To claim that the guy didn't intend for this to be the case is wicked naive.

Now, I don't think he was trying to be hateful but the guy used the wrong "clever" headline. Period.

Last edited:
what a sad world we live in today. Whem certain groups seem to own certain words and expressions, and people lose their jobs over common expressions when others are too ignorant to know the meanings.

There is no misunderstanding of meaning in this case.

Whether intentional or not, ESPN

In these early stages, we can't tell you if ESPN copy editors using "chink in the armor" as a way to describe Asian-American Jeremy Lin and his New York Knicks losing their first game in 13 days on Friday night is on par with what Jason Whitlock pulled off a week before. Whitlock obviously, and admittedly, made an awful (and worse, to me, unfunny) joke at Lin's heritage's expense.

That's it. Headline news for using an old saying is racist b/c he's Japanese.

What's even more disturbing is that 11 people here view it as a racist comment. Damn stupid people. They do more damage to America than Al Qudea could ever dream of.

What a fucking bullshit statement by you, I know your mother raised you better than this.

Dude, have you been paying attention to how the whole "Linsanity" thing has been handled by media organizations?

Up until the whole "chink in the armor" headline they were falling over each to make the next pun or double entrende driven headline.

While I agree that "chink in the armor" is an expression that does not have racial connotations when it is used as a headline about an Asian player during a time when pun filled headlines are dominating the coverage of said Asian player it's an issue. To claim that the guy didn't intend for this to be the case is wicked naive.

Now, I don't think he was trying to be hateful but the guy used the wrong "clever" headline. Period.

If the title had "Lin" anywhere in it-I'd agree with you. All of the puns (and yes there are tons) have "Lin" somewhere in them-this doesn't. Not only that but the article itself was about the Knicks as a whole-not just Lin. If it was solely about Lin-I'd agree that it was racist. Don't get me wrong-was it a stupid title that should have been edited out? Of course. I'm just saying that I think a lot of people are blowing it up to be something that it's not. That's all.

Forum List

Back