Chinese Leader discusses Democracy coming to China. "It is inevitable" he says

Sep 12, 2008
Really big news out of Red China. Over the years they have been washing out the color, and it seems that they recognize that economic change means political change.

They are a bunch of old men. They saw that Russia blew econ and political reform both in major ways. They don't want to go that direction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1auSXvf56w&feature=g-all-u&context=G22d9f03FAAAAAAAAKAA"]Anyway, the speech..[/ame]

Really big news out of Red China. Over the years they have been washing out the color, and it seems that they recognize that economic change means political change.

They are a bunch of old men. They saw that Russia blew econ and political reform both in major ways. They don't want to go that direction.

Anyway, the speech..

It will be interesting to see how they deal with their population control/eugenics programs. Imagine the consumer market of 1.2/1.3 billion people.

China thinks large so how they focus the transition of such an older and majority male environment into a more modern consumer population infrastructure is a curiosity to be sure.

America is used to building factories in cities. China builds the cities, factories and moves the people there until they are not needed anymore. Then it's back home to fending for themselves or finding other positions and that's pretty much all on their own as they are no more than a governmental migratory unit. China closes entire cities like the US closes factories.

China closes entire cities like the US closes factories.

Um, don't overdo it.

Why Is China Building Empty Cities?

Dominant Social Theme: Nothing to see here. Just investments.

Why is China building Eerie 'Ghost Cities’?

And if that’s the easiest way to achieve growth, then you build.”

It's not overdone imo. Look at the time and decision making that went into building the Great Wall of China.

They're doing this to build future growth. :)

China closes entire cities like the US closes factories.

Um, don't overdo it.

Dominant Social Theme: Nothing to see here. Just investments.

It's not overdone imo. Look at the time and decision making that went into building the Great Wall of China.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the current government is not related to the dynasties that built the Great Wall.

And I didn't say that no cities have ever been closed in China, I suggested that claiming cities are closed with the same frequency that factories are closed in the US is an exagerration, and it is.

Um, don't overdo it.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the current government is not related to the dynasties that built the Great Wall.

And I didn't say that no cities have ever been closed in China, I suggested that claiming cities are closed with the same frequency that factories are closed in the US is an exagerration, and it is.
Bo is O-U-T! "Regressive" some might say.........................

Anyway, the speech..

There is a reason the Chinese can trace their family trees back 5000 years! ;)

Anyway, the speech..

There is a reason the Chinese can trace their family trees back 5000 years! ;)
Bo Xilai is ousted for being too......."COMMUNIST". Note his suit & tie in the photo, IF it comes through.

Bo

Um, don't overdo it.

Cities are being created and demolished with as much concern as the US gives to closing large factories and this is because of the cultural differences imo since it is their culture that is the proof of their history and the Great Wall of China is an act of that historical cultural proof.

Republicans want us to be more like China. Not the other way around.

Cities are being created and demolished with as much concern as the US gives to closing large factories and this is because of the cultural differences imo since it is their culture that is the proof of their history and the Great Wall of China is an act of that historical cultural proof.

It doesn't stop being an exaggeration just because you repeat it. Empty generalizations about 'culture' don't help your case.

It doesn't stop being an exaggeration just because you repeat it. Empty generalizations about 'culture' don't help your case.
It appears China wants to be more like the US. It may be decades before they can compete in international markets, still, they MAY become CONSUMERS.

It's not an exaggeration unless you can show it and so far all you have done is discount it. That's fine with me. There's the proof in the given links so it is not an empty generalization either.

I am saying that China builds ghost cities to further expansion, then they build the ghost factories and when the time comes they populate those factories with real people which they use until they no longer need them and that they consider this in much the same way as a factory opening and closing would be handled in the US.

Not a big deal. Agree to disagree.

It appears China wants to be more like the US. It may be decades before they can compete in international markets, still, they MAY become CONSUMERS.

It's already happening.

China wants to be a capitalist country. Socially, they are more like the US was 50 or more years ago. I like the Chinese people. China is becoming far more of a free country even as we become less so.

China wants to be a capitalist country. Socially, they are more like the US was 50 or more years ago. I like the Chinese people. China is becoming far more of a free country even as we become less so.

I don't know about them being more like us 50 years ago, since I can remember 50 years ago and I don't recall in my lifetime giving girls up for adoption so we could have the 1 boy child or any group other than the Mormons having an issue with not being able to be polybamous. According to what one friend I have there told me many Chinese men have more than one family on different sides of the city. But we are moving closer toward one another as to economic practice that's for sure. They are the nicest and most civil people on earth. If it weren't for their accent, they could be southern Americans! It hurt my heart to see one of my group crawl all over one she was doing business with. It was over a few pieces of change at the bank in the hotel, less than a couple of pennies in our currency. But when we went to shop, they didn't charge us the change we owed. All our purchases were with full bills, with the price figured in our favor.

Had always planned to go back and spend several months, maybe even a year, and teach at the university nursing school in Beijing. But now that I'm sick, unless I can get off this pump I know I never will. There are many things I would like to see there too, but I particularly liked haggling with the street vendors! And I wouldn't take a million dollars for the jade elephant my friend gave me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back