Chinese funded project to ease Madagascar’s water woes

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Disir, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,596
    The Chinese funded initiative seeks to drill about 200 boreholes – mainly in the southwest region – to ensure locals can access clean water.
    Chinese funded project to ease Madagascar’s water woes | CGTN Africa

How much will it cost the people to access it? Access and affordability are two very different things.

2. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,734
    This is where China is kicking America's ass big time.

While the U.S. is sending our military around the world kicking in farmers doors and bombing people in the name of freedom and democracy.

China is peacefully going to 3rd world countries and building schools, hospitals, and paving roads.

And the thankful governments are awarding China with lucrative long term contracts to mine their natural resources. .... :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Crepitus

Crepitus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,496
    China has been running a "hearts and minds" program in the third world for a while now.

A much more successful in than ours by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,596
    They have been involved in South and Central America and name your country in Africa. To be fair, when the US "business interests" are neoliberal then it's about privatizing government functions. The US companies that had previously dealt with the water issues charged people money at the pump and the people still could not access it. That is the reason that I asked the question. Water is right there coming out of the pump but if it's the same game as in other countries and you don't have any money then what good is that pump?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,430
    China is doing some good stuff, and some not so good stuff.

I went to Lesotho. There was a poster on the side of the road in Masaru, the capital. They showed each region and the HIV/AIDS rate. 19% was the lowest. I went to some village and got off the combi, it stopped at the AIDS hospital. I was the only one who didn't go into the hospital.

The Chinese gave Lesotho a new parliament building. Hmmm.

They're loading these African countries with massive debt too. Now, think Germany 1920s when the US recalled the debt. That led to war.

What are China's plans? Oh, you owe us a shit load of money, you need to be on our side. They're certainly buying votes in the UN to take it over and use it as the US did with Iraq in 2003.