Chinese food

If you go to China and order LoMein beware of your pronunciation "Lomin" is the correct way "lomain" is chitlins aka pig intestines. I found out the hard way.

The same thing can happen here, what with the chicken craze going on. I ordered a chicken fried steak, which is usually breaded veil with white gravy. Instead I got a real chicken fried steak. I think the real name of the veil platter is Salisbury steak, but that has brown gravy.

Yeh, Chicken Fried Steak, Salisbury Steak and Swiss Steak all come from the same cut (Bottom Round). I went to a place that I ate at quite often and ordered a Chicken Fried Steak (One of my favorites). They had changed cooks and the idiot put brown gravy on it. That as you probably already know just doesn't work. At least on Chicken Fried.

Wow. You must be young. The Fox Theater was on Flatbush Avenue Extension at the corner of Nevins Street and it was a virtual palace with a loge, a mezzanine and two balconies. The place was enormous, with thick red velvet carpeting and brass posts with velvet ropes, huge marble staircases and heavy red velvet draperies. There were enormous hanging chandeliers, big comfortable rest rooms on every floor, a rest room lounge in the basement with big leather sofas and a bank of comfortable telephone booths (a nickel a call in those days).

i just googled the fox. apparently it closed in 1971, which explains why i didn't know about it. i was too young.

the picture of it looks beautiful though.

Cinema Treasures | Fox Theatre

Admission was .65 before 6pm, .75 after six, 1.25 on weekends and they showed two main features and a bunch of other short films. So if I tell you I haven't been to a movie theater in over thirty years it's because I'm spoiled. I went to one of these new so-called movie theaters once and that was it. I felt like I was in a third world country. They are cramped, noisy shoe boxes, they show one movie and charge ten bucks admission. I wouldn't care if admission was free, I still wouldn't go to one of them. They are terrible. Ask an elder in your Brooklyn family. They will tell you about the Fox, the Brooklyn Paramount and the Loews Metropolitan. Palaces.

seems so. i grew up in the age of the multiplex. the only time i was in a big theatre like that was probably at radio city.

If I could make a movie about life as a boy growing up in South Brooklyn in the 50s it would win an award.

and you haven't done it because?

Fun? It was a different world from today. So was America.

yes... some for good, some for bad.

I live in Jersey now because the Brooklyn I knew was breathing its last breaths when I got out of the service in 1960. The last time I went back, which was about fifteen years ago, it was like visiting the grave of an old friend. I was depressed for days afterward.

i suspect if you went back to south brooklyn now, you might be a little less depressed. there are some wonderful places to go now although the old places like lundy's are gone. i think if my grandfather could have seen what brighton beach is like now, he'd have felt like he was back in old country.

he'd have loved it. lol..

... even if richard yee's is gone. :(

Last edited:
I just killed a qt of beef and broccoli, a pint of white rice, and I'm about to kill a qt of won ton.

And I have no idea why.

Still hungry, huh?

I worked a long day today, I have some beer, and football is on.

Yeah, I'm starving :lol:

Sounds like a great day to me! Hard day's work, some relaxing beverages and my favourite ethnic food. I wish I were in your position right now!

Chinese food sounds so damn good right now.

Mongolian chicken with fried rice and a veggie egg roll. :eusa_drool:

Chinese food sounds so damn good right now.

Mongolian chicken with fried rice and a veggie egg roll. :eusa_drool:

You just made me call in another order to the chinese place across the street from me.

I've been to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Shanghai. The best Chinese food I ever ate was in Chinatown, NYC. Followed by Flushing, Queens.

Seriously...

WHY? :dunno:
a billion point 4 chinese can't all be wrong?

Chicken with blackbean sauce for me on rice with fried potstickers thanks and no baby corms! With mandarin oranges and lychees for desert.

I've always liked Chinese food also.

6a0105364cdc73970c011570016eec970b-800wi

Appetizer AntiChrist

Crab Rangoon: a Chinese wonton (or dumpling) deep fried around crab meat combined with cream cheese, scallions, and garlic.

Most Chinese restaurants in the USA such as the small-town but flavorful Lucky Chopsticks in Voorhees, New Jersey (zip code: 08043) serve crab rangoons as an appetizer.

Do you trust Chinese restaurant owners to serve high-quality crab-meat?

It seems that everything these days is a crusade...

:banana:

Forum List

Back