China's One Child Policy Will Come to Roost Soon

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
For the record, I think China had to do some draconian. Their population growth was well unsustainable and status quo would have been 10 fold worse than harmful effects of the one child policy! However, there are going to be some very NEGATIVE side effects to the one child policy that the China (and the world) will see over the next few decades.

The one kid policy started in 1979 so it effected Chinese parents in their 20s-30s. Fast forward to the future in 2011, 32 years since the policy was enacted (China has stated they are extending the policy and I am sure it will keep going to 2020) and hese parents are between 52 and 62.

The effects have not been felt yet for China. The parents effected by the one child policy haven't left the workforce yet and haven't started dying off yet. They will start leaving the work force over the next decade. Some will start dying off in the 2020s. Most will die off in the 2030s. Few will be left in the 2040s.

The Negative Effects:
First, the parents of the one child policy are still of working age, between 52 and 62. HOWEVER, over the next decade they will slowly but surly move past working age. By 2015 half will be over 60. By 2020 all will be over 60. Just as America is now facing the issue of too many baby boomers retiring, China will face it also. HOWEVER, China will be facing the issue of a 10x larger retirement population than working population. There will be numerous retirees for every one young worker! Healthcare is expensive! There will be a crisis. It could bankrupt China, esp if the US defaults on our loans and when China's economic growth stifles (which its almost assured to do). The burden on the young Chinese will be too over-welming and an impossible feat to overcome smoothly!

Second, even if China gets rid of the one child policy by 2020, the lack of women will be a huge issue. By 2020 that will be 4 decades of tiny females births (due to selective abortion and abandonment). I saw something that there is 1 young woman for every 5 young men! In Chinese terms, 100 million woman for 500 million men! Ouch! The land of a billion virgins is a scary thought. Take out the issue of so many life-long virgins, which will lead to civil unrest! The birth rate per capita for the next Chinese generation will be much much less than under even the one child policy. Women might have more children, but with only 4 out of 5 men having children the total birth rate will be low.

Third, the economic spiral down will be unavoidable. Free trade is becoming less popular and could come to a head. China's main economic advantage is that they have an enormous work force. Starting this decade more and more Chinese workers will be physically unable to keep up the strenous work load! Each and every year China's ginormous work force will get smaller and smaller. Their advantage will be less and less. Their economy will decline more and more.

Lastly, with China's population and economic declines the separatist movements will grow louder and louder and might even look attractive to a struggling country. Once China's economic growth becomes a full on issue, Tibet, Taiwan and the East Turkestan Muslim Separatist. China has the military, man power, money and economic growth to beat down all of these separatist movement at the same time effortlessly. However, when the burden of the one child parents retiring, need care and healthcare grows by 2020, the Chinese young population taken on too much burden and China's economy slipping into chaos, they might not have the might to fight these movement effectly. Even if they do, it's very expensive to fight separatist movements.

Bottom line: China's skyrocket to the top will come to a head over the next two decades. Eventually it will stabilize out, but the left's boner over how good China is doing is an illusion.

In Chinese terms, 100 million woman for 500 million men! Ouch! The land of a billion virgins is a scary thought. Take out the issue of so many life-long virgins, which will lead to civil unrest! The birth rate per capita for the next Chinese generation will be much much less than under even the one child policy. Women might have more children, but with only 4 out of 5 men having children the total birth rate will be low.

Damn, it will be tough to get any pussy at that rate.

China has been down the road of huge differentials in males and females before. Things sort of blanced out again due to the worlds worst civil war ever back in the 1860s.

As things move along, it will get scarier.

It took them nearly 100 year to bounce back. You know in the 1830s China produced the majority of the world's good. More than any other country, including any in Europe!

This is exactly why not allowing babies born in American citizenship is a stupid idea.

Did you post in the wrong thread? How is this statement related to the discussion?

The better question is what the heck does that statement mean? It's incoherant as far as Im concerned.

Last edited:
The Chinese population is already feeling the effects of the aged. (see
http://www.usmessageboard.com/asia/149910-chinese-population-12-aged-60-or-older.html)

The best way to control a target population is limit the number of females. A male can fertilize many females in a month, while a human female can only be fertilized ever lets say 10 months or so. A Chinese family has to make a decision early on, do I have a son who can work and provide support or a daughter who will be a drain on resources and may not provide nothing. Of course in the past that may have had more bearing and I am not familar with how much the workforce in China has assimulated the women into it. Many jobs there are still hard labor but the modernization of China has opened a large part of the job market to women. This may change the birth trends back to a more normal percentage.

I do not forsee China's economic collapse either. They look like they may become the superpower of this century. The US did not become the power they did till the mid 1900's and it took a war and the military industrial complex to mobilize it. You could say that the MIC still is a power behind our economy.

And it matters not what your politics, conservative, or liberal or middle of the road, the facts are there, China is there and they are growing into a major power in the economic world. The only economy larger is the US. They are also growing militarily but so far they only have a regional outlook in influence and objectives.

Last edited:
OK--why not re-colonize the world with Chinese people?

It solves the problem of overpopulation within the borders, and the presence of chinese citizens could help aid(or it could hurt, just thought of that!) diplomatic relations.

In fact, a hundred million Chinese people living in North America could change regional politics for the next 100 years. The Chinese communist could take over through the production of babies!

Talking about China here and country on the other side of the globe!
I realize that...but you are pointing out how their low population growth will hurt them. Ours will hurt ours as well.

Are we losing population?
I believe the figures without immigrants are pretty close to zero population growth. Doesn't work out very well with a country that is soon to be (if it isn't already) majority elderly.

The discussion here is related to the selective abortion of females leaves a huge population of angry and upset male virgins with a huge need to get laid. This is not safe.

Cultural norms in the far east is that a woman moves into her husband's household and the younger generation is responsible for the care of the elders.

One of the weird things I have noticed from watching oriental media is that the second son is a huge prize in Japan, korea and Taiwan. The first son, the one who gets stuck with the parents, is only for the romantically silly or the desperate.

Of course, the first son is not totally responsible. They do spread the load. When they discuss marriage, the relations between the prospective bride and her in laws is a huge part of the courtship discussion.

As some know, I am in Rio De Janeiro, a Chinese couple here are running a little fast food restaurant. I asked what they thought of the USA, China, and Brazil. They said they left China because the Governor ordered their first child murdered, I mean aborted. The Governor ordered no female babies. So they saved up some cash and left.

I had a chance to talk with some Chinese engineers in Spain, I put off the opportunity, stupidly, next time I will not. Anyhow our brief conversation was political, the Chinese man seemed to love me, very happy and excited to speak, he wanted to know what I thought of them, I had no time, his taxi came, I just said everything I own comes from China, I asked how was life in China. He said it was great, if you were rich.

There you have it, China is a very divided country. Its a matter of time before it explodes.

Taking care of an old person in the States is expensive, is it cheaper in the Far East? I couldn't take care of 1 of my parents now even if I wanted to.

Good news for America, we have an export China Wants. Females.

And what better way to ensure peace between our two countries?

Forum List

Back