Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Among other things.

China's nuke know-how made in Canada
by Judi McLeod, Canadafreepress.com
Friday, May 6, 2005

The western world is only now waking to the nightmarish specter of China providing nuclear technology know-how to Pakistan and North Korea.

China’s nuke know-how can be stamped: "Made in Canada".

CANDU manufacturer, the Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. (AECL), is among other things, the Mother of all Proliferators.

Reid Morden, former president and CEO of AECL, could star in his own made-for-television spy novel. Morden’s credentials in the spy industry come from Canada’s main intelligence agency, CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service, an agency Morden headed up.

"On October 13, 1995 the second phase of a Canadian deal with China was signed in Ottawa during the controversial and much-protested visit of Premier Li Peng (AKA the "Butcher of Beijing"). Documents were signed by Li Peng, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, as well as AECL President Reid Morden and his counterpart in the China National Nuclear Corp. (CNNC) Jiang Xinxiong. Morden stated: `We are now essentially ready to complete work on a commercial contract.’" (David Martin, Nuclear Awareness Project, November 1996).

Like James Bond, Morden gets around.

After a stint selling nuclear plants to China and other countries for companies dominated by the Montreal-based Power Corporation, Morden was called to Manhattan when he became Paul Volcker’s No. 2 man on the Independent Inquiry Committee probing the United Nation oil-for-food program.

But the oft-quoted Anti-Weapons of Mass Destruction crusader Reid Morden is not Canada’s only contributor to getting nuclear technology into the wrong hands.

Continued

Just out of curiosity, can Candu reactors make weapons-grade materials? I know they can burn plutonium for fuel (or something).......is that important? :eek:

Said1 said:
Just out of curiosity, can Candu reactors make weapons-grade materials? I know they can burn plutonium for fuel (or something).......is that important? :eek:
All nuclear reactor fuel can be enriched to produce weapons grade material. I am not familar with the Canadian reactor sales to China. Did Canada also provide the nuclear fuel without an agreement to get it back when it was expended? If Canada did supply the Chinese with nuclear fuel with no return provision, then it has contributed to nuke weapons proliferation.

onedomino said:
All nuclear reactor fuel can be enriched to produce weapons grade material. I am not familar with the Canadian reactor sales to China. Did Canada also provide the nuclear fuel without an agreement to get it back when it was expended? If Canada did supply the Chinese with nuclear fuel with no return provision, then it has contributed to nuke weapons proliferation.

Here's a link with some good info:http://www.ccnr.org/myth_4.html

Forum List

Back