China's Government Planning..Unreal!!

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
A country with over a biliion people China is the future right?

Amazing Video Emerges of China‘s ’Ghost Cities’

If you‘re not familiar with China’s “ghost cities,” they are some of the most fascinating images you will see.

“It’s estimated that 10 new cities are being built every year,” Australian news program SBS Dateline says. That may sound impressive, until you realize that many of the cities remain vacant long after they’re built.

Amazing Video Emerges of China‘s ’Ghost Cities’
Posted on March 29, 2011 at 10:55am by Jonathon M. Seidl Print » Email » If you‘re not familiar with China’s “ghost cities,” they are some of the most fascinating images you will see.

“It’s estimated that 10 new cities are being built every year,” Australian news program SBS Dateline says. That may sound impressive, until you realize that many of the cities remain vacant long after they’re built.

See, even though China has become the leader in development, it’s adopted the idea that “If you build it they will come.” There’s just one problem: they’re not coming. And so China has a problem — ghost cities:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E]YouTube - China's Ghost Cities and Malls[/ame]

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/amazing-video-emerges-of-chinas-ghost-cities/

I figured I'd bump this, does anyone see that China's economic boom will not last it can't they are due for a downfall soon enough.

"The modern equivelent of building pyramids. Does nothing for peoples' lives, but promotes GDP growth".

Government job creation at its finest.
64 million empty units LOL.

Too many men, not enough women

Young Chinese men of marriageable age will soon find it tougher to look for a wife because there will be 24 million more young men than women of marriage age by 2020.

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), a government think tank, has said in a report that the gender imbalance in the country is widening, the People's Daily reported.

The gender ratio in China has been higher than the world average. Census data in 2005 showed that the sex ratio of newborn babies was 120 boys born for every 100 girls.

The international average is 103 male births for every 100 female births, Li Bin, director of the National Population and Family Planning Commission, was quoted as saying.

brides.jpg

Too many grooms, too few brides in China

The gender imbalance had already made it difficult for a Chinese bachelor to find a wife.

Some single young men in big cities are now seeking marriage partners in rural areas, which has put single men in villages at even more of a disadvantage, because urban bachelors have higher incomes and more stable jobs, the report said.

"I have neither a high income nor a spacious apartment in Beijing; so none of my female colleagues wanted to marry me," Kong, 29, from Chaoyang district of Beijing, told the Global Times.

Too many men, not enough women

China's economic engine gonna implode?...
:confused:
China’s fixed road to bad growth
Wed, Apr 20, 2011 - I recently took two trips to China just as the government launched its 12th Five-Year Plan to rebalance the country’s long-term growth model. My visits deepened my view that there is a potentially destabilizing contradiction between China’s short and medium-term economic performance.
China’s economy is overheating now, but, over time, its current overinvestment will prove deflationary, both domestically and globally. Once increasing fixed investment becomes impossible — most likely after 2013 — China is poised for a sharp slowdown. Instead of focusing on securing a soft landing today, Chinese policymakers should be worrying about the brick wall that economic growth may hit in the second half of the quinquennium. Despite the rhetoric of the new Five-Year Plan — which, like the previous one, aims to increase the share of consumption in GDP — the path of least resistance is the “status quo.” The new plan’s details reveal continued reliance on investment, including public housing, to support growth, rather than faster currency appreciation, substantial fiscal transfers to households, taxation and/or privatization of state-owned enterprises (SOE), liberalization of the household registration (hukou) system, or an easing of financial repression.

China has grown for the past few decades on the back of export-led industrialization and a weak currency, which have resulted in high corporate and household savings rates and reliance on net exports and fixed investment (infrastructure, real estate and industrial capacity for import-competing and export sectors). When net exports collapsed in 2008 and 2009 from 11 percent GDP to 5 percent, Chinese leaders reacted by further increasing the fixed-investment share of GDP from 42 percent to 47 percent. Thus, China did not suffer a severe recession — as occurred in Japan, Germany and some countries in emerging Asia in 2009 — only because fixed investment exploded. And the fixed-investment share of GDP has increased further last year and this year, to almost 50 percent.

The problem, of course, is that no country can be productive enough to reinvest 50 percent of GDP in new capital stock without eventually facing immense overcapacity and a staggering non-performing loan problem. China is rife with overinvestment in physical capital, infrastructure and property. To a visitor, this is evident in sleek yet empty airports and bullet trains (which will reduce the need for the 45 planned airports), highways to nowhere, thousands of colossal new central and provincial government buildings, ghost towns and brand-new aluminum smelters kept closed to prevent global prices from plunging.

Commercial and high-end residential investment has been excessive, automobile capacity has outstripped even the recent surge in sales and overcapacity in steel, cement and other manufacturing sectors is increasing further. In the short run, the investment boom will fuel inflation, owing to the highly resource-intensive character of growth. However, overcapacity will inevitably lead to serious deflationary pressures, starting with the manufacturing and real-estate sectors.

MORE

Forum List

Back