China

why isn't a trade war a war? Is a cold war a war?

trade wars are wars. my argument is that china and the US aren't at war, we are very, very strong allies. similarly, a good client and his contractor aren't naturally on the same page, but they're not at war, either.

the day is young. I am not sure that the US has the balls to force the Chinese to break the peg. I don't like trade war in this economy, and I am doubtful that the Fed will engage in the kind of currency manipulation required to force China's hand.

But if China chooses to use the yen, Real and euro as it's reserves that takes a lot of value out of the dollar effortlessly.

That may be the Chinese version of a compromise.

Congress and Krugman seem locked into tariffs as their only option.

ok, and on that basis we are allies for all intents and purposes. i think the same can be said of the US.

the day is young. I am not sure that the US has the balls to force the Chinese to break the peg. I don't like trade war in this economy, and I am doubtful that the Fed will engage in the kind of currency manipulation required to force China's hand.

But if China chooses to use the yen, Real and euro as it's reserves that takes a lot of value out of the dollar effortlessly.

all of these currencies will have to rush to the dollar though, buddy. history shows.

all of these currencies will have to rush to the dollar though, buddy. history shows.

?

?

in the past, when china made a big move into the euro, the euro made a big move into the dollar.

right now the preferred migration is for nations to purchase weaker currencies to drive their own down. It's the opposite of ordinary reserve positions.

Today the Euro is the currency to buy if you want to suppress your currency. If the ECB started buying dollars that would elevate the value of the euro, theoretically. That would be bad for the EU.

Altho I fully admit the whole notion of reserves sounds silly anymore among leading currencies.

I think we need to grow up or something....

ok, and on that basis we are allies for all intents and purposes. i think the same can be said of the US.

we have Britain and Israel.

we have these allies on the what have you done for me lately basis, too. they've got NK on the same.

Israel has never done anything for us except to scare the other ME nations and fail to support the former SU. Well maybe some intel. And they did negotiate that Arms for hostages thing with Iran.

What has Israel done for us today?

$140 billion/year just doesn't go very far anymore, but at least it shows we care!

PrintingDollars.jpg

ONE senior Chinese told me Kevin Rudd tried to use the Chinese leadership style in Australia. Right style, wrong country. That's why he was deposed.

In the recent federal election, Australia's interaction with the world barely figured in the political debate. With a relatively pitiful 23 million people, domestic policy has an unsustainable future without being fed by global trade and investment.

And global currents are changing. Global growth is coming from developing, not developed, countries. How do we pilot these new waters? We're not prepared.

Understand one thing about China. With more than 1.3 billion people, China cares only about China.

With 1.2 billion people, no one-child policy, and 60 per cent of the population under the age of 25, India thinks only of India.

Civil conflict is prevented only via continued economic growth.

Both countries are giants awakening. When they stand, the world will shake.

Western global institutions will be increasingly bypassed or infiltrated. In many parts of the world, such as Africa, the hybrid China model will be favoured as it creates more wealth. The elite in Asia sees its rise as a long-awaited return to influence rather than something new. And doing business in Asia is different to doing business in Australia. A rich Asian friend once roguishly told me: "Show me a rich Asian and I'll show you a thief."

more at link of course

Chinese way is here to stay, so get used to it | The Australian

Of course China will have economics dips and such as time passes. But it should continue to overall grow at a pretty rapid pace.
The difference will be that we will drop as they drop in the future.

Lifes a bitch.

Epsilon, that was off message. You win a weekend in a reeducation camp!
Not just off message but with neighbors like Russia and India instead of Mexico and Canada China has much bigger problems than we do as in our offshore thorn in the side is Cuba and theirs is Japan.
Would you care to elaborbleat WHY Cuba is a "thorn in your side"

Has anyone in this thread even bothered to travel to China? Shanghai is an ultra-modern city now..much like most big metropolitan cities in Europe and the United States...

Epsilon, that was off message. You win a weekend in a reeducation camp!
Not just off message but with neighbors like Russia and India instead of Mexico and Canada China has much bigger problems than we do as in our offshore thorn in the side is Cuba and theirs is Japan.
Would you care to elaborbleat WHY Cuba is a "thorn in your side"

I see that you lack the sarcasm recognition gene, my condolences.

Forum List

Back