China 'will not protect' Korea ship attackers

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
BBC News - China 'will not protect' Korea ship attackers

China "will not protect" whoever sank a South Korean warship in March, Prime Minister Wen Jiabao has said.

"China objects to and condemns any act that destroys the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula," Mr Wen was quoted as saying after talks in Seoul.

South Korea has blamed the North for sinking the Cheonan with a torpedo.

Beijing is under pressure to take a strong stance against North Korea but so far has not accepted the findings of an independent investigation.

"The Chinese government will decide its position by objectively and fairly judging what is right and wrong about the incident while respecting the international probe and responses to it by each nation," said Mr Wen.

Beijing has previously called for all sides to show restraint.

On Tuesday, North Korea announced it would sever all ties with the South. It had also banned South Korean ships and planes from its territory.

At the press conference in Pyongyang on Friday, North Korea's policy chief, Maj Gen Pak Rim-su, accused Seoul of trespassing in its waters and "kicking up a frenzy for confrontation".

Looks like North Korea is up a certain creek without a paddle.

I would imagine China is getting very tired of their obstreperous little client. It is time for a little smack down.

Kim was in China early this month to smooth the transition for the third generation.

This is actually the best news since the crisis began.

I would imagine China is getting very tired of their obstreperous little client. It is time for a little smack down.

Kim was in China early this month to smooth the transition for the third generation.

This is actually the best news since the crisis began.

Both Russia and China are tired of having to take so much flak for North Korea I think. I know I would be tired of putting up with their bullshit a long time ago if I were them.

Sounds to me like they are hoping the South and the North will fight, and they can take out whomever wins easier after they are weakened.

IMO, China is so tied into the global economy that it has dropped their closed borders mentality that it shared with North Korea. I mean hell foreigners have been able to visit the "forbidden" palace for decades now.

Sounds to me like they are hoping the South and the North will fight, and they can take out whomever wins easier after they are weakened.

LOL wut

If North and South Korea go to war, North Korea is going to have to deal with the United States and it will promptly lose. I highly doubt that China is going to risk their entire success so far over trying to get Korea.

North Korean has been an invaluable cat's paw for China. I wouldn't take China's word for what they are going to do on this. I'd wait and see on the Chinese. It's fine so far so, I'd take advantage of that and push as hard and as fast as I can while the going's good. It won't last.

China can sit back and cause no shortage of irritation to the US and the West, by simply supporting NK. That's not an advantage they are likely to allow to go by the wayside without a fight. They may, however, appear to be doing that for a period of time for some temporary political advantage.

Remember, the Chinese don't play Chess, they play Go! it's a whole difference strategy set and game theory. If you haven't played it, you can't understand the Chinese mind.

Interesting turn of phrase in the press release.

ROK did an investigation with international support. All the Chinese have to do is accept the report, and wash their hands of the Kims.

LOL wut

If North and South Korea go to war, North Korea is going to have to deal with the United States and it will promptly lose. I highly doubt that China is going to risk their entire success so far over trying to get Korea.

You honestly think that the Obama adminsitration has the political will to wage war against North Korea when their base is staunch anti-war?

LOL wut

You honestly think that the Obama adminsitration has the political will to wage war against North Korea when their base is staunch anti-war?

We have Mutual Devense Treaty with South Korea. So Obama has to support South Korea if North attacks. However, I can't understand North. They won't achieve anything and they're destined to disappear without Chinese support.

NK is probably pooping their pants

i read that this might be kim jong il's successor trying to make a name for himself

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
NK is probably pooping their pants

i read that this might be kim jong il's successor trying to make a name for himself

I don't want to go into bunker (because of nukes) because somebody wants to make a name for himself.

Tech_Esq.... Remember, the Chinese don't play Chess, they play Go! it's a whole difference strategy set and game theory. If you haven't played it, you can't understand the Chinese mind.

I thought they played Chinese Checkers?

Last edited:
We have Mutual Devense Treaty with South Korea. So Obama has to support South Korea if North attacks. However, I can't understand North. They won't achieve anything and they're destined to disappear without Chinese support.

Treaties are just words. They are broken all the time.

China will just find a suitable replacement government they can support. The Kim's have fallen from favor with this latest move. A smoking gun linking either Kim directly to the attack orders and they can appear to be the reasonable party and allow the Kim's to be replaced. The balance of power remains the same and the Chinese are happy. Pick your favorite Gulog Kims.

New Topics

Forum List

Back