China warns Obama about Dalai Lama, citing Lincoln on slavery

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
A Chinese government spokesman said Barack Obama should be especially sympathetic to China's opposition to the Dalai Lama and Tibetan independence, as a black president who lauded Abraham Lincoln for helping abolish slavery.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang made the comments at a news conference on Thursday, four days before Obama arrives in China for a summit that will cover the two big powers' vast and sometimes tense economic, diplomatic and security ties.

China warns Obama about Dalai Lama, citing Lincoln on slavery | Politics | Reuters

So an authoritarian government likens its oppression of another nation to the actions of President Lincoln, I'd say that's a fairly accurate comparison. Hopefully Obama ignores this nonsense and remains neutral in this conflict.

I have never seen so much bullshit going on in the World all at the same time. This is Nothing but a bunch of Red Chinese communist propaganda. It doesn't even make any sense at all. ~BH

I have never seen so much bullshit going on in the World all at the same time. This is Nothing but a bunch of Red Chinese communist propaganda. It doesn't even make any sense at all. ~BH

China is communist in name only, otherwise their economy wouldn't be as good as it is.

China is communist in name only, otherwise their economy wouldn't be as good as it is.

It's more than just name, their ruling class are still Communists. Their actions towards private property, slave Labor and Liberties are clearly Communist. I understand your point in regards to their economics. They without a doubt have taken an international Capitalist approach in the last few decades. ~BH

It's more than just name, their ruling class are still Communists. Their actions towards private property, slave Labor and Liberties are clearly Communist. I understand your point in regards to their economics. They without a doubt have taken an international Capitalist approach in the last few decades. ~BH

I see your point, but I would describe those policies as simply authoritarian rather than communist.

Actually, the Tibetans had slavery until the Red Chinese went in, although, I am not that sure about the conditions during the culture revolutions beeing a significant improval.

Mind you, Tibet also has its own Imperial past which involved raping and burning some significant parts of China.

Actually, the Tibetans had slavery until the Red Chinese went in, although, I am not that sure about the conditions during the culture revolutions beeing a significant improval.

Mind you, Tibet also has its own Imperial past which involved raping and burning some significant parts of China.

I've never heard of Tibet having slavery, or being an imperial nation. Granted, I'm not all that familiar with their history. Did you have any links on this?

A bit out of time here, will provide links tomorow.

IIRC at one point Tibet estabtlished domination over signficant parts of North india, also taking the Chinese Emperor hostage.
The Chinese later "pacified" them with introducing Buddhism, and strenghtening Tibets "priest class" as opposed to their more bellicious "warrior class". Conditions for commoners were incredibly poor, and most farmers were something between Serfs and Slaves of the Priest Class overlords.

Forum List

Back