China starts with a blue water navy

I keep hearing these stories about China getting their hands on our technology--Clinton's gift of "used computers" complete with hard drives from government agencies with clearance, them checking what was left of the helicopter that exploded outside the bin Laden compound, them snooping all over the globe for our stuff.

The Chinese are a very intelligent people, and their present leadership is ambitious and willing to invest in big time stuff.

We must never be the team that gets so overconfident we leave our drawers down at the wrong time.

It looks like we need to build up China as a threat to replace the Soviets and a declining terrorist threat since Bin Laden was killed

More reasons to keep our military at Cold War levels
Not sure what you're getting at here. We are now developing a more efficient aircraft carrier. The navy is working to improve the ownership cost of its fleet.

11 Carrier Task forces when no other nation has a single equivalent

Chinas "new" carrier is a nice toy....but it wouldn't survive 20 minutes in a shooting war

It looks like we need to build up China as a threat to replace the Soviets and a declining terrorist threat since Bin Laden was killed

Not sure what you're getting at here. We are now developing a more efficient aircraft carrier. The navy is working to improve the ownership cost of its fleet.

Chinas "new" carrier is a nice toy....but it wouldn't survive 20 minutes in a shooting war

For the time being (combined with my admittedly limited knowledge of naval affiars) I agree. Essentially all they've done is refit an already aging vessel to parade in front of a global audience. A bit like taking your girlfriend's mum out in your girlfriend's clothes, so to speak. I think their sabre rattling is being directed at navies in the region. Another factor is that this carrier doesn't have a crew versed in carrier duties/procedure. Their state of readiness is comparable to going from riding a bicycle to mastering a unicycle i.e - sure, they both float, but fill a completely diferent role.

This threat is being talked-up out of all proportion, in my opinion; possibly to drive the US economy further into debt by building unnecessary waterborne countermeasures. My money would be on the US navy's carrier assets blowing this comparative gnat clean out of the water.

Or maybe we need to be aware of the reality of a changing world.

This threat is being talked-up out of all proportion, in my opinion; possibly to drive the US economy further into debt by building unnecessary waterborne countermeasures. My money would be on the US navy's carrier assets blowing this comparative gnat clean out of the water.

Of course they are nowhere near our naval capacity right now, but your attitude is irresponsibly short sighted.

Of course they are nowhere near our naval capacity right now, but your attitude is irresponsibly short sighted.

With regards to China's blue water ambitions, I agree. But if you search my posts on this forum you'll discover that I'm more than aware of China's long-term ambitions on the world stage as a whole. I've even gone so-far as to estimate that China will have eclipsed the United States as the world's foremost superpower within the next 50 to 60 years.

For the time being (combined with my admittedly limited knowledge of naval affiars) I agree. Essentially all they've done is refit an already aging vessel to parade in front of a global audience. A bit like taking your girlfriend's mum out in your girlfriend's clothes, so to speak. I think their sabre rattling is being directed at navies in the region. Another factor is that this carrier doesn't have a crew versed in carrier duties/procedure. Their state of readiness is comparable to going from riding a bicycle to mastering a unicycle i.e - sure, they both float, but fill a completely diferent role.

There is no way this ship is a threat to our Navy. Like you said, it's the crew, training, tactics, surrounding task force and the planes you fly off of it

With regards to China's blue water ambitions, I agree. But if you search my posts on this forum you'll discover that I'm more than aware of China's long-term ambitions on the world stage as a whole. I've even gone so-far as to estimate that China will have eclipsed the United States as the world's foremost superpower within the next 50 to 60 years.

I don't buy that, but in any case, your response to that estimate is that we should sit back and wait for them to catch up? Does that strike you as prudent?

A world where we are ten times as strong as the next largest military force?

So, we just wait around until that's no longer the case?

On payday do you quit your job ('cause you've got money now) and wait until the money is all gone and then look for a new job?

So, we just wait around until that's no longer the case?

On payday do you quit your job ('cause you've got money now) and wait until the money is all gone and then look for a new job?

Wait around for what? Till we are only eight times as strong as the next largest military?

Where is our threat?

Un-freakin'-believable. Small children have a greater capacity to think ahead than this...

Un-freakin'-believable. Small children have a greater capacity to think ahead than this...

Only small children think they need all the toys

We have a much larger military than can ever be needed, we have global alliances with the most sophisticated nations on earth, we are isolated by two oceans and can't be attacked

Where is the threat child?

Goods and services from China accounted for only 2.7% of U.S. personal consumption expenditures in 2010, of which less than half reflected the actual costs of Chinese imports.

FRBSF Economic Letter: The U.S. Content of “Made in China” (2011-25, 8/8/2011)

Despite recent government reports that China’s holdings of U.S. Treasury debt declined during the second half of last year, the Asian economic giant almost certainly owns far more Treasury securities than official statistics indicate.

After peaking at $801.5 billion, China’s holdings of U.S. Treasury securities declined to $755.4 billion at the year’s end, dropping the communist power into the position of second-largest holder of Treasury debt after Japan’s $768.8 billion, official government data reveal.

China holds more U.S. debt than indicated - Washington Times

We have a much larger military than can ever be needed, we have global alliances with the most sophisticated nations on earth, we are isolated by two oceans and can't be attacked

In a state of nature, you would have been eaten, digested, and shit out long ago.

In a shooting war with China our carriers cannot even get close to China because of their anti ship cruise missiles. To get a real sense of what a war would be like go look at the study done by Rand on the air war. You will be surprised at the outcome and this is if everything goes our way!

We lose one carrier and the psychological impact on the American people would be immense. China's carrier is not for use against the US in a shooting war but as a psychological weapon against the regions other countries. Yes we are the most powerful military but it is not just about numbers or quality. It is about force projection and putting that force in the theater and that theater with the Chinese is in their backyard. Halfway around the world. That decreases the size of our force considerably.

In a state of nature, you would have been eaten, digested, and shit out long ago.

That is the best you bring to the table?

That is the best you bring to the table?

That is the essential truth you need to know.

Forum List

Back