China says No Deal!!

Well let me tell you what this person is for then , first, I am for all energy solutions that will end this nations need to finanice world terrorism as well as send it's economic future offshore. Having said that, it's my opinion that every technology that accomplishes that goal including nuclear, wind, solar, geo-thermal, natural gas, as well as domestic oil production in conjunction with promoting new transporatation technologies such as plug-in hybrids, EV's, as well as lean burining fossil fuel technologies, are the best way to reach that goal. However, I'm also aware that a lot of those technologies are not built in this nation and in fact many if not all of them this nation is way behind in. Let me give you an example, you mentioned nuclear, well did you know this nation as a result of environmental litigation no longer has the capability to actually produce a containment vessel large enough for a large commercial Light Water Reactor? It's my opinion that in order to get jobs and also , promote those technologies in this nation you do not do that by a method of punishment, but you do that by making it as easy as you can in the form of grants, tax incentives, and outright funding in order to make it come into being. If you mandate through a set of principles that are based on one specific scientific conclusion and do so on a punitive basis you do NOT promote any of the things you wish to promote but rather you actually turn people off to the idea as well as financially help those who do not wish to implement these mandates. Speaking for a lot of people on the right other than a few, I do not wish the President to fail in fact, on the contrary , I want the President to actually do his utmost best to keep our nation ecnomically sound so that we may hand to the next generation a better nation than we received from our parents. The President though can only accomplish this, if he starts to listen to the other half of the nation that does not agree with him and if you agree with the polls these days more than half.

Well let me tell you what this person is for then , first, I am for all energy solutions that will end this nations need to finanice world terrorism as well as send it's economic future offshore.[/B] Having said that, it's my opinion that every technology that accomplishes that goal including nuclear, wind, solar, geo-thermal, natural gas, as well as domestic oil production in conjunction with promoting new transporatation technologies such as plug-in hybrids, EV's, as well as lean burining fossil fuel technologies, are the best way to reach that goal. However, I'm also aware that a lot of those technologies are not built in this nation and in fact many if not all of them this nation is way behind in. Let me give you an example, you mentioned nuclear, well did you know this nation as a result of environmental litigation no longer has the capability to actually produce a containment vessel large enough for a large commercial Light Water Reactor? It's my opinion that in order to get jobs and also , promote those technologies in this nation you do not do that by a method of punishment, but you do that by making it as easy as you can in the form of grants, tax incentives, and outright funding in order to make it come into being. If you mandate through a set of principles that are based on one specific scientific conclusion and do so on a punitive basis you do NOT promote any of the things you wish to promote but rather you actually turn people off to the idea as well as financially help those who do not wish to implement these mandates. Speaking for a lot of people on the right other than a few, I do not wish the President to fail in fact, on the contrary , I want the President to actually do his utmost best to keep our nation ecnomically sound so that we may hand to the next generation a better nation than we received from our parents. The President though can only accomplish this, if he starts to listen to the other half of the nation that does not agree with him and if you agree with the polls these days more than half.

first, I am for all energy solutions that will end this nations need to finanice world terrorism as well as send it's economic future offshore.

And that should be the goal of every politian in Washington.

But you have two radical groups that are fighting this tooth and nail.
1. The radical right who is against education and anything suggested by a Democrat.
2. You have the radical left who lives in la la land and want's to just "do it" without and intermediary steps.

Also, people have to think "outside" the box. Why does it all have to be huge nuclear power plants?

nuscale.jpg

Greentech Media: Can Small Modular Reactors Save the US Nuclear Industry? | Green Light

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/11/latest-on-four-small-nuclear-reactors.html

The Hyperion Power Module has a core of 24 assemblies of a metal fuel, uranium nitride, that is 20% enriched set in HT-9 cladding tubes. Flowing around the pins is liquid lead-bismuth eutectic coolant. Quartz is used as a radial reflector. A gas plenum is at one end of the 2-3m long fuel pins.

Two sets of boron carbide control rods keep the reactivity of the core under control. One set of 12 control rods advance about 0.5mm/day to moderate the reaction. A second set of 6 shutdown rods close to the centre of the reactor would automatically drop into the core in case of an accident. The centre of the core is hollow. Inside that void space marbles of boron carbide would be dropped in case of an emergency.

The hot (500 degrees C) coolant transfers its heat through an intermediate heat exchanger to another lead-bismuth loop, through another intermediate heat exchanger to a tertiary circuit with an undisclosed fluid, and then through a third heat exchanger to water (at about 200 degrees C). The reactor is not only designed to deliver electricity, but also process heat or co-generation. Hyperion Power president and CEO John 'Grizz' Deal told NEI that the configurations of the secondary and tertiary circuit would depend on the reactor's uses.

The reason why the 70MWt reactor has a relatively low electrical efficiency of 36%, or 25MWe, is because the steam loop does not run through the inside of the reactor, for simplicity and safety.

---------------------------

In simple language, that means the reactor can never over heat. If it gets too hot, it shuts down. Which is why it would make sense to install them in pairs. The second as a "backup".

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it has to be all large nuclear reactors at all in fact there is a lot of promise in small reactor technology for commercial use. What some don't seem to understand about nuclear especially is not only is it CO2 friendly in terms of long term jobs it's a very stable and outright good method to stimulate the economy. Now there is always the question on the storage issue and what to do with the waste but it's been my contention that that is a matter of implementation, and use of nuclear reprocessing. It does seem that many would rather dig a big giant hole in the ground and just shove the waste in the hole, but not only is that a serious waste of money and effort it's also not a good use of the waste fuel from these reactors that can be reprocessed and used again with the commitment to do so.

Forum List

Back