China needs to be put in their place on trade.

Most reading this shopped at Wal*Mart sometime this week.

Congratulations, you’re supporting the largest single importer of Chinese made goods and you…yes you….are a globalist.

Walmart Could Become Casualty Of Trade War - Walmart Inc. (NYSE:WMT) | Seeking Alpha

Walmart SHOULD become a casualty of the Trade War. They were actively pressuring American companies to move to offshore manufacturing to lower prices. American fools cheered the move to lower prices at the time.

Americans have always put cheap goods ahead of their fellow citizens for years. Those who say Walmart gave them better prices than Mom and Pop stores.

Mom and Pop stores buy in lower quantities so they can’t negotiate bulk discounts from national brands, or they have to go through a jobber to get small lots, so there’s a middleman to pay. On the positive side, Mom and Pop stores buy from local suppliers, supporting local farmers and artisans. They also pay business taxes and business association taxes which help support the local community.

The mall in the next town isn’t doing that for you. Chain stores buy goods offshore, and the profits go to shareholders with no stake in the community. Most jobs are minimum wage.

I’d rather pay a few dollars more and help support my friends and neighbours and my community by shopping as local as possible.

Chain stores may be cheap but so is the crap they sell.

Most reading this shopped at Wal*Mart sometime this week.

Congratulations, you’re supporting the largest single importer of Chinese made goods and you…yes you….are a globalist.

Walmart Could Become Casualty Of Trade War - Walmart Inc. (NYSE:WMT) | Seeking Alpha

Walmart SHOULD become a casualty of the Trade War.
There shouldn’t be a trade war at all.

They were actively pressuring American companies to move to offshore manufacturing to lower prices.
They were? They likely still are.

American fools cheered the move to lower prices at the time.
No, Americans cheered lower prices hence the rapid expansion of WMT.

Americans have always put cheap goods ahead of their fellow citizens for years. Those who say Walmart gave them better prices than Mom and Pop stores.

Mom and Pop stores buy in lower quantities so they can’t negotiate bulk discounts from national brands, or they have to go through a jobber to get small lots, so there’s a middleman to pay. On the positive side, Mom and Pop stores buy from local suppliers, supporting local farmers and artisans. They also pay business taxes and business association taxes which help support the local community.
Here is where I disagree sort of.

If the local suppliers, local farmers, and local artisans were superior products…people would buy them.

Anecdote. “Local Needle Shops” that sell needlecraft items (Cross-Stitch, Crochet, yarn, floss, etc…). We tried going to numerous shops around the area. The prices were very high, the customer service was so-so; very hit and miss, and the selection was meh. While you could find a cross-stitch pattern that had local flavor; you could also find it on EBAY for a fraction of what the LNS was selling it.

Point being…supporting the local folks is great but the local folks seem to be indifferent to the consumers.

The mall in the next town isn’t doing that for you. Chain stores buy goods offshore, and the profits go to shareholders with no stake in the community. Most jobs are minimum wage.
The local Target is starting people at $12 an hour. Probably not a barometer of local conditions (I saw it on their front door) but an indicator that they all aren’t jobs paying FMW.

I’d rather pay a few dollars more and help support my friends and neighbours and my community by shopping as local as possible.
To each their own. I’ll shop where my dollar goes further. Be it Wal*Mart, Hobby Lobby, Sprouts (which has some fantastic deals on fresh fruit/veggies from time to time) or the LNS if they have a deal. Globalization, politics, etc… are secondary concerns.

Chain stores may be cheap but so is the crap they sell.

Puh-leeze.

In most cases, it’s the same “crap”. Mom and Pop stores (hardware stores for example) sell the same stuff Home Depot sells. What they do with the cash is different. Large chains suck the money out of the local banks immediately…mom and pop stores keep it local and the bank then can loan that to others in the community making the community stronger; supposedly. How that helps you when you need a new toaster…unclear but there is some truth to what you say. But let me ask you this. If Wal*Mart is hiring 40 people in your community who would otherwise be unemployed…isn’t that making your community stronger?

We need to hit China hard on trade. They are allowed to dump products into the U.S. market place but they have such high tariffs on American made products, their market is close to U.S. companies. Bring jobs back to the USA.

are you some kind of a retard.

Here's why the Chinese are beating us on trade. They are building better, cheaper products than we can build.

That's why they are beating us.

Your average Chinese can't afford most American made products, and they can get something better and cheaper at home.
True, but also true a lot of those workers are being paid subsistence wages. Do you really want your fellow Americans to be on subsistence wages?
No, he wants them on government programs.

This crap has been going on for more than a century - the China-US Trade Deal.

What will it take for anyone to understand that China has been screwing us for this long?

china11.jpg

Forum List

Back