China makes it a crime not to visit one's elderly parents

Some people have parents who are impossible to be around. Some parents are selfish, and demand everything. Kids should choose whether they see their parents, and they sure as shit shouldn't be fined for not.

It's an eastern culture thing that minimizes the fact that some parents don't deserve to be visited. In any event, I don't care what the filthy commie scumbags do.

My two cents is I think it is great that they implemented this. We are a throw away society and that includes throwing away old people. Don't like your parent(s)? Tough. They brought you in this world and the least you can do is go visit them even if it's just to glare at them.

My two cents is I think it is great that they implemented this. We are a throw away society and that includes throwing away old people. Don't like your parent(s)? Tough. They brought you in this world and the least you can do is go visit them even if it's just to glare at them.

And you find it proper that the Chinese government is coercing people to visit their elderly parents? I agree that people should visit their parents on a regular basis, but I would never empower the state to make children see the people who raise them.

Last edited:
Earlier this month, state media reported that a grandmother in her 90s in the prosperous eastern province of Jiangsu had been forced by her son to live in a pig pen for two years. News outlets frequently carry stories about other parents being abused or neglected, or of children seeking control of their elderly parents' assets without their knowledge.

That guy needs to be incarcerated in a pig pen for 2 years as punishment.

And you find it proper that the Chinese government is coercing people to visit their elderly parents?

Sure. Why not. It's a shame such a law had to be passed to begin with.

Earlier this month, state media reported that a grandmother in her 90s in the prosperous eastern province of Jiangsu had been forced by her son to live in a pig pen for two years. News outlets frequently carry stories about other parents being abused or neglected, or of children seeking control of their elderly parents' assets without their knowledge.

That guy needs to be incarcerated in a pig pen for 2 years as punishment.

It's hard to put a judgement on something such as this. Perhaps the old woman kept her son in a "pig pen" when he was young.

And you find it proper that the Chinese government is coercing people to visit their elderly parents?

Sure. Why not.
It's a shame such a law had to be passed to begin with.

I agree that it is a shame that the law is being passed, but I do not agree that it is the role of government to legislate family affairs, particularly something as petty as visiting one's parents, and especially in China where the family and respect of elders is an integral part of the cultural dynamics. This policy is more about the state having the authority to determine the proper mode of familial relations, as opposed to individual family members.

Last edited:

:eek:

why? They choose to being you into this world..... children do not choose to have them.

I HATE my parents. What makes you think i want to HAVE to call them an interact with them?

I loved my dad. Mom is dead and I haven't cried yet nor plan to. With that said..I think it a shame that parents get old and are tossed in an old folks home because the kids are too busy with their own lives. Maybe the parents sucked, true. But in the long run, the people I have met at homes were lovely and kind people and so were their kids. They just didn't have "time" to visit them and the oldsters died so very sad being forgotten.

Seeing as Americans just dump theirs in homes, I can see the outrage.

Last edited:
China is running into sort of a demagraphic problem. The "one Child" policy means that the elderly will soon outnumber the young. And with life spans lengthening, that can mean a lot of lonely old folks.

But not every problem can be solved by government decree.

I'm going through this thing with my Sister and our Mother. My parents divorced 30 years ago and my Mother got a HUGE settlement. Sis enjoyed helping spend all that on down payments for houses, cars, vacations, taxes, furniture and everything else. But now that the money's gone she wants ME to take care of Mom.

"You were over seas all the time and I was stuck here taking care of Mom!", she says, conveniently forgetting all the money she spent. I was overseas in the Military and as a civilian for quite a while.

You know how much money my Mother gave me during that time? Nothin'. Didn't ask for any either. It was her money, she did what she wanted with it. But now that there's only a monthly Social Security check to pay for all the problems of ageing and the ravages of a lifetime of on again, off again alcoholism, it's apparently "my turn" to care for Mom.

I ask Mom to come live with me from time to time but she likes California and for some reason wants to live with her completely dysfunctional daughter and her loser husband.

Last edited:
I'm going through this thing with my Sister and our Mother. My parents divorced 30 years ago and my Mother got a HUGE settlement. Sis enjoyed helping spend all that on down payments for houses, cars, vacations, taxes, furniture and everything else. But now that the money's gone she wants ME to take care of Mom.

"You were over seas all the time and I was stuck here taking care of Mom!", she says, conveniently forgetting all the money she spent. I was overseas in the Military and as a civilian for quite a while.

You know how much money my Mother gave me during that time? Nothin'. Didn't ask for any either. It was her money, she did what she wanted with it. But now that there's only a monthly Social Security check to pay for all the problems of ageing and the ravages of a lifetime of on again, off again alcoholism, it's apparently "my turn" to care for Mom.

I ask Mom to come live with me from time to time but she likes California and for some reason wants to live with her completely dysfunctional daughter and her loser husband.

Damn, I bet thanksgiving dinner is a real blast your mom's house.

My father has already ruined my childhood, my health, and most of my sanity. I would rather suck a shotgun than ever see him again, unless I was taking a shit in his casket. I would have an ear-to-ear grin on my face were I to vivisect him. My friend's mother is a lifelong drunk who basically spent her life running off his friends...he actually had to get a restraining order against her a few years ago. Many parents are monsters...kindly fuck a blender.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back