China Invited to watch war games

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
China to send officers to watch US military drill in Guam, FM spokesman (3 CBG's off Guam now)
People's Daily ^ | June 9, 2006

Posted on 06/18/2006 3:48:52 PM PDT by TigerLikesRooster

China to send officers to watch US military drill in Guam, FM spokesman

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said on Thursday that China has accepted the offer to observe the US military exercise codenamed "Valiant Shield 2006" in Guam.

The offer was given by William Fallon, Commander of US Forces in Pacific, during his visit to China in May, the first invitation of this kind extended by the United States.

Liu also briefed on the eighth annual round of Sino-US defense consultations held in Beijing on June 8. The Chinese side believes that cooperation between the two armies is an important part of the general China-US cooperation, which will help boost the mutual trust and promote China-U.S. constructive and cooperative relations, he said.http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-news/1651568/posts :wtf:

dilloduck said:
The Chinese side believes that cooperation between the two armies is an important part of the general China-US cooperation, which will help boost the mutual trust and promote China-U.S. constructive and cooperative relations, he said

Well, I suppose one not connected with reality would fall for all of that. Can anyone at all remember when was the last time the Chinese invited the American military to watch their "war games"?

5stringJeff said:
I think it's more of a show of force than anything. As in, 'Act up, and we'll be doing this off your coast.'

That's what I'm thinking. Seeing our military, especially our navy, is enough to make any potential enemy piss himself. As a nation across an ocean from most of its enemies, our navy has grown in power even beyond the mightiest days of the British Empire or the gold bought Spanish Armada.

I'm betting that China knows just about as much about the American military as the Americans do, but they're going to take advantage of every opportunity we are willing to give them to learn "up close and personal". Saves them a little time in the clandestine arena, you know.

Adam's Apple said:
Well, I suppose one not connected with reality would fall for all of that. Can anyone at all remember when was the last time the Chinese invited the American military to watch their "war games"?

Exactly. If the idea is to encourage cooperation, then where is our invite to watch their war games?

Unless we're going to blow a little hot air up their skirt, like "yeah, this is how we do it", and then that being far from the truth. The ole shuck and jive game.

Pale Rider said:
Exactly. If the idea it so encourage cooperation, then where is our invite to watch their war games?

Unless we're going to blow a little hot air up their skirt, like "yeah, this is how we do it", and then that being far from the truth. The ole shuck and jive game.
Why the heck would we want to watch one of their wargames? What, watch a bunch of corrupt, badly equiped, 5 generations behind us, pathetic piece of s**t army romp around Inner Mongolia? Thanks but no thanks.

Mr.Conley said:
Why the heck would we want to watch one of their wargames? What, watch a bunch of corrupt, badly equiped, 5 generations behind us, pathetic piece of s**t army romp around Inner Mongolia? Thanks but no thanks.

Might be entertaining to see how they manuver 125,000,000 troops.

Pale Rider said:
Might be entertaining to see how they manuver 125,000,000 troops.
They maneuver that many troops by pointing in a general direction and then say "Go that way!"

Mr.Conley said:
What, watch a bunch of corrupt, badly equiped, 5 generations behind us, pathetic piece of s**t army romp around Inner Mongolia?

I wouldn't rely too much on that description of the Chinese military as fact.
(Although I truly wish it was a fact.)

Here's the big thing no one realizes about the Chinese army. Is it big? Yes. But is it well trained? Not Really. Do they have proper equipment? No. One reason China is never going to invade Taiwan is because they don't have the ability to move any of their troops any significant distance on land or overseas. A 2 million man standing army might sound scary, but when you realize that they can't move it 90 miles off their coast, then I stop really worrying. As for movement inside of their own country, do you know how they get around? They have to buy train tickets on the commuter rail if they want to move any large force within their own country. China's military is like the Spainish Armada, big and powerful, but they can't react to smaller, faster attacks a la Drake's fleet. On the modern battlefield, speed is king, but China doesn't have anything even approaching speed.

What we really ought to do is have war games on the west and east coasts of North Korea!

Mr.Conley said:
Do they have proper equipment? No. One reason China is never going to invade Taiwan is because they don't have the ability to move any of their troops any significant distance on land or overseas. A 2 million man standing army might sound scary, but when you realize that they can't move it 90 miles off their coast, then I stop really worrying. As for movement inside of their own country, do you know how they get around? They have to buy train tickets on the commuter rail if they want to move any large force within their own country. China's military is like the Spainish Armada, big and powerful, but they can't react to smaller, faster attacks a la Drake's fleet. On the modern battlefield, speed is king, but China doesn't have anything even approaching speed.

Is this personal opinion, or can you direct me to some expert sources who share your assessment of the Chinese military? My own understanding of the Chinese military is that it is very up to date with all kinds of modern equipment purchased from Russia, with more modern war materiels being added all the time. They have the same kind of equipment for troop movement that the U.S. does. Our own Council on Foreign Relations did a study on the Chinese military and projects that within a short period of time it will be equivalent to the U.S. military.

Let's see ... hmmm...

China spent almost 81.5 BILLION dollars in 2005 on their military. Must ahve been buying new muskets.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html#Military

In 1998, the Chinese were capable of amphibiously landing a reinforced division on Taiwain. I would imaging they have done some thing lately to improve that. Their Air Force has 140+ SU-30 fighters, among others including SU-27s.

They have about 2.5 million men on active duty (Army) plus another 1.5 million militia.

The idea that they can only move large amounts of troops by buying train tickets for them is wishful thinking at best.

Go here and you can learn everything you didn't want to now about the Chinese military...

http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp

Forum List

Back