China: High volume of fruit exports to N. Korea

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
Approximately 10,000 tons of fruit are being exported every year to North Korea via the Chinese city of Dandong in Liaoning Province. The city borders North Korea at the estuary of the Yalu River.

The fruit is thought to be imported by the ruling elite of the country and the high volume is in spite of food shortages.

An source in the city said, “About 10,000 tons of fruit were exported to North Korea via Dandong Marine Centre last year,” adding, “They were worth 100 million yuan ($16 million).”

Shipments to North Korea have grown about 15 percent per year on average over the past five years, the source said.

Fruits exported to the North include the different varieties available in China, including subtropical and tropical types such as bananas, pineapples, lychees, dragon fruit and durians as well as apples, tangerines and watermelons.

The source said fruit exports surge just before major North Korean holidays, including Feb. 16 (the birthday of the late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il) and April 15 (the birthday of North Korea founder Kim Il Sung).

“Fruit exports significantly increased ahead of Christmas Day in the past, but there was no notable change in exports last year due to the death of Kim Jong Il,“ the source said.

North Korea does not celebrate Christmas but fruit exports usually increased because Dec. 24 marks the birthday of Kim Jong Il’s biological mother Kim Jong Suk. The shipments are sent to Pyongyang for use at events or consumed by the power elite. Payment is made mostly with U.S. dollars, but the yuan is often used to settle accounts

Yup.

With the trade and assistance from China, I doubt N. Korea would last.

One wonders how much longer China is going to carry that nation.

OTOH, the last thing China really wants now is a failing nation on the border of Chinese mainland, so I expect their "aid" is more self serving than humanitarian.

As is most international aid, I note.

Last edited:
Yup.

With the trade and assistance from China, I doubt N. Korea would last.

One wonders how much longer China is going to carry that nation.

OTOH, the last thing China really wants now is a failing nation on the border of Chinese mainland, so I expect their "aid" is more self serving than humanitarian.

As is most international aid, I note.

As long as it perceives the US as a threat in the peninsula.

Forum List

Back