China Can't Win Trade War With USA

They'll always be able to sell them at a discount.

If China wants to pay more for Brazilian beans versus American beans, we can't stop them.
And if Americans wants to pay more for steel and aluminum, let them.

China pays more for soybeans and America pays for more for aluminum and steal and both countries lose. The issue then becomes who loses the most, pretty dumb move by Trump.

China pays more for soybeans

You just said they won't. What changed your mind?
Nope, I did not say China would not pay more for Soybeans.

You said they'd buy soybeans from Brazil.
Tell me again why tariffs on US beans would make Brazilian beans more expensive.
It's called supply and demand. The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US. Chinese importers will pay more for soybeans it was buying from the US and US metal fabricators will pay more for aluminum and steel it was buying from China.

The side effect of tariffs are often forgotten. China produces lower quality soybeans at a higher cost than most countries. The effects of Chinese tariffs on imported soybeans will tend to stimulate soybean production in China. Similarly, the US import tariffs on Chinese steel and Aluminium will tend to stimulate US production of steel and aluminium, both of which are produced less efficiently in the US than a number of other countries. The bottom line is that tariffs encourage higher cost inefficient production.

Putting tariffs on exports encourages inefficiency production and higher prices while free trade encourages each nation to produce what it produces best.

If China wants to pay more for Brazilian beans versus American beans, we can't stop them.

China pays more for soybeans and America pays for more for aluminum and steal and both countries lose. The issue then becomes who loses the most, pretty dumb move by Trump.

Tell me again why tariffs on US beans would make Brazilian beans more expensive.
It's called supply and demand. The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US. Chinese importers will pay more for soybeans it was buying from the US and US metal fabricators will pay more for aluminum and steel it was buying from China.

The side effect of tariffs are often forgotten. China produces lower quality soybeans at a higher cost than most countries. The effects of Chinese tariffs on imported soybeans will tend to stimulate soybean production in China. Similarly, the US import tariffs on Chinese steel and Aluminium will tend to stimulate US production of steel and aluminium, both of which are produced less efficiently in the US than a number of other countries. The bottom line is that tariffs encourage higher cost inefficient production.

Putting tariffs on exports encourages inefficiency production and higher prices while free trade encourages each nation to produce what it produces best.

The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US.

Where did you see US supply was falling?

The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US.

Are you having a reading problem? I said, "The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US. The US supply of soybeans will fall as demand from China shifts to other countries such as Brazil.

Are you having a reading problem? I said, "The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US. The US supply of soybeans will fall as demand from China shifts to other countries such as Brazil.

"The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US.

I read fine. Your claim here is that fewer soybean exports from the American market, or lower American soybean production, will increase the demand for, and therefore price of, Brazilian beans.

From what I've seen, last year US soybean production was at a record high.
And that this year is expected to be about the same level.

The US supply of soybeans will fall as demand from China shifts to other countries such as Brazil.

Is your thinking as muddled as your posting?
A Chinese shift doesn't do anything to US supply, it could do a lot to Chinese demand for US supply.

If you had said, "The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating lower purchases from the US", your meaning would have been clearer.

"The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating less supply from the US.

I read fine. Your claim here is that fewer soybean exports from the American market, or lower American soybean production, will increase the demand for, and therefore price of, Brazilian beans.

The US supply of soybeans will fall as demand from China shifts to other countries such as Brazil.

A Chinese shift doesn't do anything to US supply, it could do a lot to Chinese demand for US supply.

If you had said, "The price on Brazilian soybeans has been rising for several months anticipating lower purchases from the US", your meaning would have been clearer.
What you may be neglecting is China is the largest purchaser of US soybeans and China will be putting a 25% tariff on soybeans imported from the US to China. That simply means if Chinese importers buy beans from the US, they will pay an additional 25%. Profit margins are tight on soybeans and US farmers simply can't cut prices that much and stay in business. They will have to surrender most of their Chinese market to other countries and cut planting if the tariffs remain in effect.

Last edited:

What you may be neglecting is China is the largest purchaser of US soybeans and China will be putting a 25% tariff on soybeans imported from the US to China. That simply means if Chinese importers buy beans from the US, they will pay an additional 25%. Profit margins are tight on soybeans and US farmers simply can't cut prices that much and stay in business. They will have to surrender most of their Chinese market to other countries and cut planting if the tariffs remain in effect.

What you may be neglecting is China is the largest purchaser of US soybeans and China will be putting a 25% tariff on soybeans imported from the US to China.

Nope, didn't "neglect" that at all.

No, it doesn't. And, everything has to do with economics. That is why, the right wing, never gets it.
YOU don't "get" what I said. Of course it's economics, but it is a specific economics, specific to the last 30 years of globalism that US presidents have embarked on.

Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't. And, everything has to do with economics. That is why, the right wing, never gets it.
YOU don't "get" what I said. Of course it's economics, but it is a specific economics, specific to the last 30 years of globalism that US presidents have embarked on.

Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:
how much growth are you expecting, with a trade war?

Forum List

Back