China can but the US can't

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
China launches world's longest bullet train service - Telegraph

The opening of the new 2,298-kilometre (1,425-mile) line between Beijing and Guangzhou means passengers will be whisked from the capital to the southern commercial hub in just eight hours, compared with the 22 hours previously required.

china_longest_high_speed_rail.jpg

They can invest our money in their infrastructure but we're still in the dark ages.

rw's should be thrilled about this.

It's amazing what a totalitarian state can do! Just eliminating the permitting process would streamline building such a train. Imagine if we didn't have environmental protection agencies or unions or building standards. We could do it too.

Europe's been way ahead on this for decades. When I lived in France they were putting the TGV on line. It holds the world record for train speed at 574.8 km/h (357.2 mph).

Here, we'd rather our "bullets" move people to tears than to other places.

The opening of the new 2,298-kilometre (1,425-mile) line between Beijing and Guangzhou means passengers will be whisked from the capital to the southern commercial hub in just eight hours, compared with the 22 hours previously required.

They can invest our money in their infrastructure but we're still in the dark ages.

Besides the Northeast corridor, where is there sufficent demand for bullet trains to justify the enourmous expense?

who built the HOOVER DAMN?

why is it the right always fights to keep us from doing the smart things for the future?

why is it the right always fights to keep us from doing the smart things for the future?

The Hoover dam was created out of a need for water storage and power generation.

Again, define a viable bullet train route that is worth the required investment. The NE corridor may meet that, but no one wants to contemplate the disruptions its construction would cause.

Also I would think the Hoover Dam would never be built today due to the massive regulatory requirements, and the ability of a small group of environmental nutjobs to torpedo the project via lawsuits.

What stop such a project is all the RED TAPE! The permits fees and expenses, the EPA making up BS rules, regulations that not only make it costly, but time consuming and the Union strong arming the companies make such projects nearly impossible!

It's not RWer you dumb-fuck! The over-burdensome regulations that cause this! It's the same reason our bridges are getting fixed, the energy grid isn't get updated and the pipeline isn't get built!

The Hoover dam was created out of a need for water storage and power generation.

Again, define a viable bullet train route that is worth the required investment. The NE corridor may meet that, but no one wants to contemplate the disruptions its construction would cause.

Also I would think the Hoover Dam would never be built today due to the massive regulatory requirements, and the ability of a small group of environmental nutjobs to torpedo the project via lawsuits.

I'd be fine with it as long as the asshats that will use it pay full-freight to use it... if it costs $400 to ride from DC to NYC, so be it.

You're right - in a country only three thousand miles wide, why would anyone need to go anywhere. If we had that need we'd have magic machines in the air that could whisk me off to Chicago, and they wouldn't suck up fuel, or ever crash, or drop me off way outside of town. Obviously there's no need for that.

Where I live in Carolina if I want to take a train I have to get a ride over 100 miles just to get to one. That's pathetic. And it's not like the tracks don't exist. They're just all used for freight.

Don't get me wrong, I love to drive but have you ever lived in southern California? The SoCal transit mentality is, if your destination is three quarters of a mile away -- take the freeway. We pay the price for a national California transit mentality.

Last edited:
And how much does Amtrak cost the taxpayer annually? And you dipshits want more?

Yep, I guess they will FORCE people to ride trains next.

I looked into riding home on Amtrak, was cheaper to drive.

Last edited:

It's obvious, we need more money losing, lightly used trains in the US. For the children!

I've been on the Bullet Train in Japan a few times and it's a real nice ride!

Too bad they can't operate without Gov't subsidies.

Bullet trains are sorta like The Concorde, they can't operate without subsidies.

China doesn't give a rat's ass about the environment or labor laws...
If we were able to thumb our noses at all the restrictions the Libs demand on us here
there is no telling what we would be able to do.

I've been on the Bullet Train in Japan a few times and it's a real nice ride!

Too bad they can't operate without Gov't subsidies.

Bullet trains are sorta like The Concorde, they can't operate without subsidies.

There are also some nice high-speed trains in South Korea. The differences (aside from the fact that they are unprofitable) include the fact that there are plenty of passengers in Japan and S Korea who can actually afford to ride the trains, and you can be quite confident about the quality and safety of the system.

nice train! When the government is a totalitarian one, and they don't have to deal with labor unions, things such as this can be achieved.
Plus most of us are wealthy in comparison, and can afford to fly home to see our relatives instead.

Forum List

Back