Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Opening and conclusion:

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20070203-101750-1057r.htm
China's dire prediction
By Arnaud de Borchgrave
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published February 4, 2007

China is making geopolitical hay while the sun isn't shining for America.

Chinese leaders have seen President Bush's approval ratings continue a downward slide all over the world, according to the BBC's latest universal survey. More important, previous public opinion polls showed China with a better image than America in friendly European countries -- with the notable exception of Poland. The rest of the world has watched the defection of some of Mr. Bush's congressional supporters. China's topsiders have heard from their close ally Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf -- "a major non-NATO ally" -- that he doesn't think the U.S. can avoid what the world will perceive as a defeat in Iraq. And perception trumps reality the world over...

...Chinese strategists view U.S. dependence on space as an asymmetric vulnerability while Chinese scientists are known to be working on ASAT (anti-satellite weapons, such as kinetic kill vehicles). On Jan. 11, China decided it was time to demonstrate the fragility of the U.S. military dependence on communications satellites.

Without warning, China fired a missile aimed at one of its own aging communications satellites. With pinpoint accuracy, the missile pulverized the Feng Yun 1-C 500 miles above Earth, scattering thousands of tiny fragments that could easily puncture the metal skin of other satellites in orbit. The former Soviet Union did it first in 1971, followed by the U.S. in 1985, before Congress banned further tests lest they imperiled one of the several hundred satellites, many from other nations.

Space as a sanctuary free from armed conflict will most probably end over the next 20 years. Speaking in flawless English at the World Economic Forum in Davos last month, one-star Gen. Yao Yunzhu, who directs China's Asia-Pacific Office at the Academy of Military Science in Beijing, predicted: "Outer space is going to be weaponized in our lifetime." She is 52. If there's going to be "a space superpower," she said, "it will have company" -- China. And Beijing said China was now ready to talk turkey about an international treaty to curb the weaponization of space. But the U.S. wasn't. In fact, the administration suspended plans agreed to at a summit meeting last April to develop plans for the joint exploration of the moon.

Following disengagement from Iraq, U.S. defense priorities are likely to remain focused on combating terrorism while Europe's defense agenda becomes increasingly unsupportive of U.S. policies. China is eyeing an emerging geopolitical vacuum with interest. And it has no intention to play the game of nations by U.S. rules.

Arnaud de Borchgrave is editor at large of The Washington Times and of United Press International.

In the peloponnesian war, Athens was at total war with Sparta. Then, Athens, in a ploy to increase its power invaded Syracuse in Sicily. It failed utterly, and the Athenian fleet and army was crippled. Durin this time Sparta increased its power. Throughout the rest of the war Athens was at a disadvantage to Sparta and later lost the war.

In the peloponnesian war, Athens was at total war with Sparta. Then, Athens, in a ploy to increase its power invaded Syracuse in Sicily. It failed utterly, and the Athenian fleet and army was crippled. Durin this time Sparta increased its power. Throughout the rest of the war Athens was at a disadvantage to Sparta and later lost the war.

Ah, but the real lesson was that Athens had taken allies and made them into subjects by confiscating the money meant to provide for defense of all Greek member city-states, using the proceeds collected to beautify Athens. This hubris of the 'elite' Athens, over the less 'educated' other members was the ultimate act of hubris.

So Sparta and others that were upset, formed the Peloponnesian coalition and took on Athens. If there were an analogy here, the US would be Sparta, though we try too hard to emulate the Athenians of the Western world.

I wrote a HUGE reply to this..Only to be timed out..hahaha..:)

I HATE THAT.

There has been alot of interesting reading regards to China.

Kissenger(did I spell that right?)...said it most well.

We got to talk with them...Not make them an adversary..hold them back.

I am going to China in July..(So Excited).

If any of you know me...I am very sad with our foreign policy...Not many countries are left..with the same interests as ours to begin with.

I wrote a huge reply to this article..heart felt.

I just hope for peace...I don't want a mini-cold-war with them....

To have an Anti-Amercian Asia is the last thing we need....The whole world seems not to have what's in our interest...

Will we have anything in common with any country in the next decade?

Peace...we need it....Chinese people are good people for the whole.

If we start pumping up the propaganda...they will certainly do the same.

Peace

Creek

Forum List

Back