China and Japan via NK

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Annie, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.strategypage.com/onpoint/articles/20068205338.asp

2. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    North Korea has almost finished researching Taepodong 3 Long Range Missiles which can strike as far as Los Angeles. This threatens almost the whole Western Seaboard of U.S.A. Sanctions have no use for D.P.R.K as Kim is determined to have the highest strike capability possible with his missile. No stopping him. Plus if it comes to a full scale nuclear exchange with either Japan or U.S.A I feel North Korea will strike without any hesitation. N.korea is prepared to lose cities but not the Japanese or the U.S. I dont think Japan would like Tokyo wiped out of its map or the U.S would fancy L.A being wiped out from its map. Thats where N.Korea has the advantage . They are prepared for their casualties. Kim has hundreds of solid bunkers in the Korean mountains from where he can fire atleast 2-3 of his nukes. And , even if N.Korea gets pulverized by the U.S I am sure that America will lose atleast two of its cities!!!

Akshay

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There are links:

http://www.missilethreat.com/

4. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll start by saying I spend part of my summer in Seoul and rather enjoyed it there. South Korea is not really afraid of North Korea, they're more like brothers. I'm more scared of Japan than North Korea honestly. North Korea has had the ability to strike anywhere in South Korea for a while know, and a strike on Seoul would have crippled the Asian economy if that's what Kim Jong Il wanted. He probably fired the missile more from internal pressure in North Korea, from the military, who he still needs to support him if he wants to stay in power.

I'm more scared of Japan than North Korea here. North Korea loves to do the marketing campain of rattling it's swords, but the Japanse "National Guard" has been enlarged way beyond any sort of rational need, and I think they'd be more likely to become frustrated and create a need for such a large army and strike at North Korea first.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Let me make sure I understand what you are saying. NK is way less threatening to your mindset, than the West backed South. Gotcha? Cool.

6. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but no I don't feel threatened at all by South Korea, or by the West (and I am an American Citizen by the way). I think that Japan is going to see Kim Jong Il putting on his show (which he needs to maintain support from his military) and Japan is going to get scared, or annoyed, and strike North Korea. Maybe then might North Korea start launching missiles at Japan, or very doubtfully the US.

North Korea hates Japan much more than it hates the US. Japan had the whole repression and enslavement going on after that Russo-Japanese War until South and North Korea became liberated from them. NK might only decide to strike the US if we decide to then come to Japan's help and declare war against them. The point is I can see Japan starting something much more easily than I can see North Korea starting something.

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,773

Yea, God forbid the people of a democratic country may want to do something other than wait for some maniac with a nuclear bomb to kill them at the time of his choosing. People have a right to preserve their own existance. Its utterly rediculous that the Japanese people are under such a real threat of being attacked, what more can these people do after being so peaceful and practicing democracy for 60 years now? There hasn't been a more productive and peaceful generation of people than the Japanese of the last 50 years, and if they're feeling so threatened that they are considering first strike action....then I don't think anyone on this planet is in a position to tell them otherwise.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "NK might only decide to strike the US if we decide to then come to Japan's help and declare war against them", the US and Japan are staunch allies, there is no question at all that if Japan is attacked the US will be right there with them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    By treaty, attacking Japan is the same as attacking the US. All NE Asian nuclear deterence (v. Russia, China, and North Korea) is the responsibility of America. The only alternative is to allow the Japanese to build nukes. By the way, if we do not get more cooperation from the Chinese regarding Iran and North Korea, then we should ask Beijing how they would like it if Japan went nuclear in response to NK aggression (e.g., as has previously happened: NK shooting missiles over Japanese airspace).

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. At this point in time, I'm more in favor of Japan getting nukes, though I'd prefer that US defended in that realm than add to proliferation, than Iran or Syria. Can we take back India and Pakistan? No, too bad, they may be the death of us all.

It is getting more and more terrifying out here, moreso from China, Pakistan, India, Japan, Israel, than from the wannabes. There are so many fronts.

10. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One thing Japan could do is donate food supplies to NK, which has massive famine ever since the collapse of the Soviet Bloc. Another thing they could do is reduce the size of their "self defense force." I mean it is technically the 4th largest army in the world. Why is Japan so much more peaceful than North Korea? Yes North Korea is still at war with the US and South Korea, but they haven't taken any military action in the past 50 years either. NK has the ability to strike some major cities in Japan already. If NK wanted to attack them, then they would have already. Japan used to be pretty peaceful, but recently they've been experiencing a dose of revisionist history which edits out their past disgraces, and extreme nationalism. The current Japanese government is not very peaceful at all, and rather hawkish. Japan proposed an attack on NK after the Taepodong firings, but that idea was quickly shot down as belligerent by, among other countries, South Korea.

I don't dispute that. My point is that NK isn't going to do a preemptive strike against the US. I don't care if they have missiles that can reach Alaska, or Hawaii, or California. They're not going to attack the US unless the US declares war on them first. The only probable way that we'll declare war on them is if NK and Japan are at war. That's what I meant.