China and India Enter Into Agreement

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050411/ap_on_re_as/india_china

NEW DELHI - India and China, the world's two most populous countries, agreed Monday to form a strategic partnership to end a border dispute and boost trade in a deal marking a major shift in relations between the Asian giants.

The agreement, signed by both premiers, eases decades of mutual distrust between the nations, which share a mountainous, 2,500-mile border and fought a war in 1962. Parts of the border still are not demarcated.

"India and China can together reshape the world order," Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said at a ceremony for his Chinese counterpart, Premier Wen Jiabao, at India's presidential palace.

Together, the two nations account for one-third of the world's population.

The agreement outlined steps to demarcate the disputed boundary through a "fair, reasonable and mutually acceptable solution, through equal and friendly consultations," a statement announcing the partnership said.

The agreement does not involve defense arrangements, so it will not give Chinese ships the use of Indian ports...

India and Japan's relationship will be more interesting, because it will affect (and perhaps encourage or discourage) a growing India-US-Japan axis in Asia set on tolerating Chinese leadership but challenging China aggression.

NATO AIR said:
India and Japan's relationship will be more interesting, because it will affect (and perhaps encourage or discourage) a growing India-US-Japan axis in Asia set on tolerating Chinese leadership but challenging China aggression.

I was thinking the same thing. Again, while the players and connecting dots are different, feel of WWI abounds.

Kathianne said:
I was thinking the same thing. Again, while the players and connecting dots are different, feel of WWI abounds.

Let us hope not.

At least, let it be different.

A war that topples the Chinese overlords in defeat isn't so bad in the long run, as long as nukes aren't used and it stays at sea and around Taiwan (which is how it would likely go)

I don't say that nonchalantly either, because of course my ship is the closest piece of USA real estate and firepower in the area, but if it has to be done, it has to be done. Tyrants only know one thing: force.

Forum List

Back