China agrees to invest $20bn in Venezuela to help offset effects of oil price slump

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
China agrees to invest $20bn in Venezuela to help offset effects of oil price slump

Venezuela’s president Nicolás Maduro says money will be used for housing, technology, energy and infrastructure projects

China has agreed to invest more than $20bn (£13.2bn) in Venezuela to help it overcome an economic slump exacerbated by plummeting oil prices, the Venezuelan president has announced.

Nicolás Maduro has been in Beijing since Monday to participate in a major meeting between China and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) – a coalition of 33 countries that was formed in 2011. He announced the $20bn deal after meeting with the Chinese president, Xi Jinping.

“We rounded up more than $20 billion in investment,” Maduro told
Venezuela’s official AVN news agency.

Xi said on Thursday China would invest $250bn in Latin American countries over the next decade. The move is part of an attempt by Beijing to boost its influence in a region that tends to look to the US as its largest trading partner.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...a-20bn-loans-financing-nicolas-maduro-Beijing

Apparently Pres. Obama tried to do a coup in Venezuela, it failed and as a result we are getting less oil from them, as they have the largest oil reserve in the world I've read. As a result Venezuela is really our biggest threat, and Venezuela is also the no. 1 country for crime. China is slowly buying up Latin America. We are so consumed in the ME, we neglect our threats closer to home.

Venezuela’s president Nicolás Maduro says money will be used for housing, technology, energy and infrastructure projects

China has agreed to invest more than $20bn (£13.2bn) in Venezuela to help it overcome an economic slump exacerbated by plummeting oil prices, the Venezuelan president has announced.

Nicolás Maduro has been in Beijing since Monday to participate in a major meeting between China and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) – a coalition of 33 countries that was formed in 2011. He announced the $20bn deal after meeting with the Chinese president, Xi Jinping.

Xi said on Thursday China would invest $250bn in Latin American countries over the next decade. The move is part of an attempt by Beijing to boost its influence in a region that tends to look to the US as its largest trading partner.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...a-20bn-loans-financing-nicolas-maduro-Beijing

Apparently Pres. Obama tried to do a coup in Venezuela, it failed and as a result we are getting less oil from them, as they have the largest oil reserve in the world I've read. As a result Venezuela is really our biggest threat, and Venezuela is also the no. 1 country for crime. China is slowly buying up Latin America. We are so consumed in the ME, we neglect our threats closer to home.

Is Venezuela not a member of OPEC? I believe so, if they are...why do they need the money from China, or is it a Quid Pro Quo?

China just handing out 20 Billion dollars like it is a glass of water. That's scary.

Shadow 355

First, Obama didn't try to coup anyone. I honestly think he doesn't give a shit about Venezuela. Second, the amount of oil we got from Venezuela has always been overstated. Third, we get less oil from Venezuela by design. We are seeing a oil boom at home and in our number 1 import partner - Canada. Fourth, Venezuela begged US investors to invest, but Venezuela is a bad bet unlike other South America countries. Fourth, China is trying to gain influence through $25 b investment. It will be wasted and forgotten money within a few days. Venezuela need trillions not billions. China isn't immune to economic blunders they do it all the time.

First, Obama didn't try to coup anyone. I honestly think he doesn't give a shit about Venezuela. Second, the amount of oil we got from Venezuela has always been overstated. Third, we get less oil from Venezuela by design. We are seeing a oil boom at home and in our number 1 import partner - Canada. Fourth, Venezuela begged US investors to invest, but Venezuela is a bad bet unlike other South America countries. Fourth, China is trying to gain influence through $25 b investment. It will be wasted and forgotten money within a few days. Venezuela need trillions not billions. China isn't immune to economic blunders they do it all the time.

Just curious. Do you have the faintest idea who owns 7-11? And where they get the fuel they sell from?

Obama has opened up the Americas to China and its taking full advantage of it. All one has to do is read the news coming out of the region to understand what an impact China is making there.

Shocker, the US obsession with the middle east is coming back to haunt us. Our backyard is a disaster and we're off plucking weeds in a junkyard blocks away.

I read China is doing the Latin America what they did here, imported raw materials to use in manufacturing which is just using their natural resources but not creating any jobs.

China imports about half of manufactured goods as we import from them, so our trade with China gives them more jobs and takes away our jobs.

Just curious. Do you have the faintest idea who owns 7-11? And where they get the fuel they sell from?

And Citco! Just 9% and decreasing is from Venezuela.

How much petroleum does the United States import and from where - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration EIA

Forum List

Back