Chimps at war...

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
During that time scientists recorded 18 attacks and found signs of three others carried out by a large, male-dominated community of chimpanzees at Ngogo in Kibale National Park.
In summer last year, the aggressor chimpanzees finally began to occupy the area where two-thirds of their attacks had occurred, expanding their territory by more than a fifth.
Chimpanzees expand their territory by attacking and killing neighbours | Science | The Guardian

Imperialism: Social Darwinism at work...

During that time scientists recorded 18 attacks and found signs of three others carried out by a large, male-dominated community of chimpanzees at Ngogo in Kibale National Park.
In summer last year, the aggressor chimpanzees finally began to occupy the area where two-thirds of their attacks had occurred, expanding their territory by more than a fifth.
Chimpanzees expand their territory by attacking and killing neighbours | Science | The Guardian

See, they're evolving into humans!!!

I thought Jane Goodall had doctumented something like this a while back. I may be wrong though.

Interesting isn't it don't you think?

and i cant resist...is it lance link at work?

I had to Google that one, Sy

? and what did you find?

I remember on that learned how to bang a metal container and scare the shit out of the rest of the chimps. I remember something about one group making raids on a second group and killing them.... then again its been a long time and may be "remembering" it wrong :)

I like gorillas. I've seen them up close at two zoos and I didn't get any sort of bad vibe from them at all. I find most other monkeys cute and entertaining to watch, especially the smaller ones. But I have always felt a strong dislike for chimpanzees and never understood why until I watched an Animal Planet documentary some time ago showing a tribe of chimps who had methodically surrounded, captured, tortured and finally killed a small monkey who had done absolutely nothing to provoke them.

The naturalists who filmed this study said it was one of many similar examples of behavior which is common to chimpanzees but to no other simian species and it manifests an exceptionally high level of intelligence rising to the level of cooperatively strategic planning with the end objective of performing a brutally sadistic, entirely unnecessary and unprovoked killing. And the bottom line is this behavior is common to only two known species in existence, those being chimpanzees and humans.

When I was a young boy my brother and I went to see one of the original Tarzan movies (with Johnny Weismuller) and I recall telling my brother that I didn't like Tarzan's monkey, named "Cheeta," a chimpanzee. And to this day I've harbored an innate antipathy for that species of primate, which happens to be Man's closest relative in the primate lineage. There is something about them that I don't trust.

Does anyone else feel that way?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4pP-1NWoA[/ame]

Jane Goodall claims chimpanzees have at least transcendent experience (a prerequisite to religion), that there is a waterfall where a chimp group she observed would regularly go to, they would go for no utilitarian purpose, but rather just arrive and then start displaying the body language, making the sounds that chimps usually use paying homage to dominant male, swaying back and forth in honour of the water fall.

Religious experience may be indeed the first spark of conciseness itself, the first step to self awareness, to even knowing one is alive in the first place.

A sea sponge may live in a Darwinian vacuum of meaning, as well as Richard Dawkins, but I would wager most evolved and higher life forms experience some form of the transcendence of religion.

And we are stumbling our way through this shit too, because we are not that far down from the trees.

It will be a cold day an Orangutan’s anus before I see Doctor Zaius take control of US health care!!!!!!!!

I have to admit it though, I have had a thing for Zira ever since I was a boy.

Don't tell Cornelius, it would only make him go bananas.

Forum List

Back