Chile earthquake climate change

Feb 28, 2009
Many storms that were going to hit just sort of, didn't, all over the country after the Chile earthquake shifted the earth on its axis.

El-Nino broken up? By awesome forces of nature?

There's no question the weather pattern is changed now. The question is, will the warmers acknowledge this example of mankind's insignificance on this planet up next to the awesome forces of the power of nature?

Many storms that were going to hit just sort of, didn't, all over the country after the Chile earthquake shifted the earth on its axis.

There's no question the weather pattern is changed now. The question is, will the warmers acknowledge this example of mankind's insignificance on this planet up next to the awesome forces of the power of nature?

what you mean the fraction of a Celsius degree rise in temperature isn't responsible for the instability of the earth's tectonic plates?

You're anti science aren't you?

• Banned
One would think that a towering change such as this -- the earth actually shifted on its axis -- would be big news. But, hardly a peep about it from the lame stream press and TV media. Wonder why?

i just heard about it on the 24/7 last night....or maybe it was my local nightly news!

the 2004 tsunami earthquake also did the same!

are our poles shifting....magnetic fields shifting...causing this extraordinary frequency of some pretty strong earthquakes at the subduction zones?

gosh, i so wish we had not booked our 20th anniversary vacation down in Jamaica! :(

• Banned
i just heard about it on the 24/7 last night....or maybe it was my local nightly news!

are our poles shifting....magnetic fields shifting...causing this extraordinary frequency of some pretty strong earthquakes at the subduction zones?
Seems to be the other way around. The shift of the massive plates wobbles the earth enough to shift it on its axis and erase time.

Can you post a link? I don't know what you are referring to.

I don't think it would matter much. The earth is big, and it shakes a bit.

Don't worry about Jamaica CFA. As far as your hubby is concerned, the most impressive shaking will be you.

:eusa_eh:

Chilean earthquake may have shortened earth day by microsecond: NASA

The quake that rocked the South American nation may have also knocked the Earth off its axis.

The 8.8-magnitude earthquake near Chile may have also made our planet's days shorter, according to NASA scientist Richard Gross.

A minor change in the Earth’s axis isn't expected to alter much in terms of weather. The planet's tilt influences the seasons, allowing for winter, spring, summer and fall, and it would take a far greater change in the Earth's axis to affect them.

The Chile quake may have moved the Earth’s axis by about 3 inches, Gross said.

The quake also shortened the day by 1.26 microseconds, the scientist determined, using a complex model he and others developed.

The Earth's rotation was likely affected by the shift in the planet's mass, which could cause it to spin faster.
Chilean earthquake may have shortened earth day by microsecond: NASA

NASA - Home

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth-20100301.html

Gross said that even though the Chilean earthquake is much smaller than the Sumatran quake, it is predicted to have changed the position of the figure axis by a bit more for two reasons. First, unlike the 2004 Sumatran earthquake, which was located near the equator, the 2010 Chilean earthquake was located in Earth's mid-latitudes, which makes it more effective in shifting Earth's figure axis. Second, the fault responsible for the 2010 Chiliean earthquake dips into Earth at a slightly steeper angle than does the fault responsible for the 2004 Sumatran earthquake. This makes the Chile fault more effective in moving Earth's mass vertically and hence more effective in shifting Earth's figure axis.

Gross said the Chile predictions will likely change as data on the quake are further refined.

Last edited:
How Earth moves

Earth has three motions. It (1) spins like a top around an imaginary line called an axis that runs from the North Pole to the South Pole, (2) it travels around the sun, and (3) it moves through the Milky Way along with the sun and the rest of the solar system.

Earth takes 24 hours to spin completely around on its axis so that the sun is in the same place in the sky. This period is called a solar day. During a solar day, Earth moves a little around its orbit so that it faces the stars a little differently each night. Thus, it only takes 23 hours 56 minutes 4.09 seconds for Earth to spin once so that the stars appear to be in the same place in the sky. This period is called a sidereal day. A sidereal day is shorter than a solar day, so the stars appear to rise about 4 minutes earlier each day.

Earth takes 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes 9.54 seconds to circle the sun. This length of time is called a sidereal year. Because Earth does not spin a whole number of times as it goes around the sun, the calendar gets out of step with the seasons by about 6 hours each year. Every four years, a day is added to bring the calendar back into line with the seasons. These years, called leap years, have 366 days. The extra day is added to the end of February and occurs as February 29.

The distance around Earth's orbit is 584 million miles (940 million kilometers). Earth travels in its orbit at 66,700 miles (107,000 kilometers) an hour, or 18.5 miles (30 kilometers) a second. Earth's orbit lies on an imaginary flat surface around the sun called the orbital plane.

Earth's axis is not straight up and down, but is tilted by about 23 1/2 degrees compared to the orbital plane. This tilt and Earth's motion around the sun causes the change of the seasons. In January, the northern half of Earth tilts away from the sun. Sunlight is spread thinly over the northern half of Earth, and the north experiences winter. At the same time, the sunlight falls intensely on the southern half of Earth, which has summer. By July, Earth has moved to the opposite side of the sun. Now the northern half of Earth tilts toward the sun. Sunlight falls intensely over the northern half of Earth, and the north experiences summer. At the same time, the sunlight falls less intensely on the southern half of Earth, which has winter.

Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle. Earth is slightly closer to the sun in early January (winter in the Northern Hemisphere) and farther away in July. In January, Earth is 91.4 million miles (147.1 million kilometers) from the sun, and in July it is 94.5 million miles (152.1 million kilometers) from the sun. This variation has a far smaller effect than the heating and cooling caused by the tilt of Earth's axis.

Earth and the solar system are part of a vast disk of stars called the Milky Way Galaxy. Just as the moon orbits Earth and planets orbit the sun, the sun and other stars orbit the tightly packed center of the Milky Way. The solar system is about two-fifths of the way from the center of the Milky Way and revolves around the center at about 155 miles (249 kilometers) per second. The solar system makes one complete revolution around the center of the galaxy in about 220 million years.
NASA - Earth

66,700 miles per hour!
License and Registration and proof of insurance please
mike927.jpg

Seems to be the other way around. The shift of the massive plates wobbles the earth enough to shift it on its axis and erase time.

Brian Williams actually touched on this on the Nightly News.

My understanding, after reading online, was the earthquake actually shifted enough land mass in that area to cause the Earth's axis to reorient to compensate.

A large quake shifts massive amounts of rock and alters the distribution of mass on the planet.

When that distribution changes, it changes the rate at which the planet rotates. And the rotation rate determines the length of a day.

"Any worldly event that involves the movement of mass affects the Earth's rotation," Benjamin Fong Chao, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said while explaining the phenomenon in 2005.

Scientists use the analogy of a skater. When he pulls in his arms, he spins faster.

That's because pulling in his arms changes the distribution of the skater's mass and therefore the speed of his rotation.

Last edited:
So will China shipping us their junk and the ME shipping us their oil change the mass distribution enough to shift the orbit?

Brian Williams actually touched on this on the Nightly News.

My understanding, after reading online, was the earthquake actually shifted enough land mass in that area to cause the Earth's axis to reorient to compensate.

A large quake shifts massive amounts of rock and alters the distribution of mass on the planet.

When that distribution changes, it changes the rate at which the planet rotates. And the rotation rate determines the length of a day.

"Any worldly event that involves the movement of mass affects the Earth's rotation," Benjamin Fong Chao, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said while explaining the phenomenon in 2005.

Scientists use the analogy of a skater. When he pulls in his arms, he spins faster.

That's because pulling in his arms changes the distribution of the skater's mass and therefore the speed of his rotation.
Locally, we had a big snowstorm coming. Storm was part of the pattern this winter, would have dumped around 4 inches on us then been moving on and dumping another big slug of snow on the northeast. Earthquake hit. Storm didn't happen.

Checking with 40 some-odd online friends all over the country via IM, same thing. Big storm was expected, never happened.

The storm shifted radically south and greatly weakened, with no explanation whatsoever. The jet stream shifted as well. The El Nino effect seems to have dissipated, about six weeks early by my local PhD meteorologist's estimate.

Agreed this is all anecdotal, but as my local guy said -- it's as good of an explanation as any. And better than any he had, since he hadn't thought of cause and effect re: climate changes and earth shifting on its axis.

Again, the towering power of nature makes us look like what we are -- gnats. Amoebas. Insignificant.

A message not popular for the warmers.

Last edited:
Does this mean we are going to have a warmer or cooler summer?

You are so silly, MM.

If you think conservatives are freaking out over the growing prospects that health care reform will, in fact, happen, wait until you see the freakout over climate change.
You see, a snowy winter in the northeast United States was supposed to have proved the climate skeptics right, after all. But a funny thing happened while they were celebrating: globally, this is shaping up as the warmest winter on record:

Freakout-nomics - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com

Marauder FTW!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

New Topics

Forum List

Back