Children's channels Advertising

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Having gotten into the latest animated Star Wars series on Disney XD channel (Star Wars: Rebels,) I'm disturbed by a tremor in the Force :) There's an awful lot of simulated weapon toy commercials. Guns, bows, and other war toys. While this is not a new problem, it's also a problem that doesn't seem to have gone away despite decades of awareness of its' existence. Are we as a society really okay with children with impressionable minds running around simulated combat as a form of "play?"

When I was a kid,WWII shows were on all the time, and there was no kids programs but cartoons on Saturday morning from 7-10. Then it was time to work around the house...

Having gotten into the latest animated Star Wars series on Disney XD channel (Star Wars: Rebels,) I'm disturbed by a tremor in the Force :) There's an awful lot of simulated weapon toy commercials. Guns, bows, and other war toys. While this is not a new problem, it's also a problem that doesn't seem to have gone away despite decades of awareness of its' existence. Are we as a society really okay with children with impressionable minds running around simulated combat as a form of "play?"

I grew up during the 1960's when a bunch of hippy parents were trying to take toy guns away from their kids...

And they ended up picking up sticks and pretending they were guns.

I grew up with toy guns, and graduated to real guns.

Have one on me or within reach almost always.

I watched Roy Rogers, Lone Ranger and a host of other shows with guns in them.

I've never shot anyone.

In short, no problem.

It is only a problem in the heads of nosey people who look for ways to get into other folks' business.

In Terminator 2, a young John Connor sitting with the T800 watching some kdis play with guns and their Mom comes along breaking them up saying "I'm gonna wring your necks." Connor says to the T800, "We're not gonna make it, are we? People I mean." T800 replies, "You have an innate tendency to destroy yourselves."

Food for thought.

My religious cousins played with their crusader shields and swords.
I have rubber band guns, cap guns and rifles, marine bayonet, Japanese bayonet, BB and pellet guns, wrist rocket and finally two items when I turned 13, a .22 cal 6 shooter with a holster, a 30-30 lever action rifle, a horse and cowboy clothes. yee-haw .......I was ready to take on the world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was only on tv and movies..

In Terminator 2, a young John Connor sitting with the T800 watching some kdis play with guns and their Mom comes along breaking them up saying "I'm gonna wring your necks." Connor says to the T800, "We're not gonna make it, are we? People I mean." T800 replies, "You have an innate tendency to destroy yourselves."

Food for thought.
Humans were doing that in the stone age...we are a predatory creature...

Food for thought.

True. But isn't part of what makes us humans as opposed to just a highly developed monkey our capacity to sidestep our inclinations, suppress the animal brains inside us all, and strive for something better?

Food for thought.

True. But isn't part of what makes us humans as opposed to just a highly developed monkey our capacity to sidestep our inclinations, suppress the animal brains inside us all, and strive for something better?
Fretting over how kids play and what they play with will not lead to "something better".

Food for thought.
Some people see human nature and want to change it.

They are deluded.

Food for thought.

Fretting over how kids play and what they play with will not lead to "something better".

No it wont. Banning the toys though is a good start.

And if you think banning toy guns is too extreme, how about a line of toys featuring plastic explosives and suicide vests? Can play "24" and have a Jack Bauer with plastic gun chasing down pretend-terrorists with suicide vests.

Isn't that acceptable? Why or why not?

And if you think banning toy guns is too extreme, how about a line of toys featuring plastic explosives and suicide vests? Can play "24" and have a Jack Bauer with plastic gun chasing down pretend-terrorists with suicide vests.

What is acceptable is people minding their own business.

I have no problem with kids playing Special Forces v terrorists.

I'd be more worried with a guy like you in my town than with Walmart selling fake Jihadi gear for the kids to play with.

I'd be more worried with a guy like you in my town than with Walmart selling fake Jihadi gear for the kids to play with.

That's because you don't know me and fear the unknown.

That's because you don't know me and fear the unknown.
Fear doesn't enter into my life.

Kids played "cops and robbers" with sticks before they had cool plastic toys.

Edit:
Oops ... Sorry Mad Scientist ... I was responding to the OP and I see you made the same point already.

It IS pretty bizarre that we teach children to kill other people and that we think that's "normal".

Add that to the sugary cereals and made-in-China plastic crap they can buy at Walmart (who supports abortion) ...

Well, if its harmful and teaches ignorance and intolerance, the RWs are in favor of it.

It IS pretty bizarre that we teach children to kill other people and that we think that's "normal".

Add that to the sugary cereals and made-in-China plastic crap they can buy at Walmart (who supports abortion) ...

Well, if its harmful and teaches ignorance and intolerance, the RWs are in favor of it.

Progressive Liberals believe their desire to be intolerant ... Is an example of tolerance and intelligence.

Bizarre Indeed!

Forum List

Back