Children with lesbian parents

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
While I am an absolute heteorelsexual, cannot even imagine being sexually attracked to another man, I thought this an interesting study.

Kids With Lesbian Parents Do Just Fine - US News and World Report

MONDAY, June 7 (HealthDay News) -- When compared to teens of the same age, adolescents raised by lesbian parents are doing just fine socially, psychologically and academically, new research finds.

Not only that, they have fewer social problems, and less aggressive and rule-breaking behaviors than other teens.

The nearly 20-year study has followed 78 teens since their lesbian mothers were planning their pregnancies, and concluded that these children "demonstrate healthy psychological adjustment." These findings stand in contrast to what some vocal opponents of gay or lesbian parents might have expected.

While I am an absolute heteorelsexual, cannot even imagine being sexually attracked to another man, I thought this an interesting study.

MONDAY, June 7 (HealthDay News) -- When compared to teens of the same age, adolescents raised by lesbian parents are doing just fine socially, psychologically and academically, new research finds.

Not only that, they have fewer social problems, and less aggressive and rule-breaking behaviors than other teens.

The nearly 20-year study has followed 78 teens since their lesbian mothers were planning their pregnancies, and concluded that these children "demonstrate healthy psychological adjustment." These findings stand in contrast to what some vocal opponents of gay or lesbian parents might have expected.

This may be fine for girls, but boys need a father.

Your hunch? Donca mean your hope, xsited1?

A kidlet with one adult who loves it and is willing to raise it is almost certainly going to be okay. Especially compared to a kidlet without such care. Obviously, two committed adults are better.

It all comes down to whether you have a stable home environment with loving adults and role models. Regardless of the sexual orientation of your parents, if a child is raised in a stressful, uncaring environment, he or she will not thrive.

It's simple to understand, having raised four kids myself. Young children don't need "love" they need security, first and foremost. They need to know they are OK. Much of their affection is just actions to reinforce their need for security. Parents need love; to weather the trials and tribulations of raising kids and to keep from killing them:lol:. When they become young adolescents and teenagers, that's when they need understanding, forgiveness, training and discipline. Just plain love, between a parent and a child, doesn't really happen till that child has a strong sense of themselves and becomes more self-reliant and begins becoming an adult. It's the greatest journey anyone can take but it's a long one.
As long as any couple understands this and accommodates their child's development they will be successful regardless of their personnel views or life style.

This may be fine for girls, but boys need a father.

My friend was raised by lesbians, he is very well adjusted. He was a great student, and he is now a great father and has a great job. His father was hardly ever around.

Forum List

Back