Children in poverty

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3jQOgs9gc]Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube[/ame]

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube

a. Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

b. Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

c. Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

d. The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

e. Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

f. Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

g. Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

h. Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

i. As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

I used to be surprised at how gullible folks like you were...then I saw that Barack Obama had been elected.

I gotta tell you hon,, these kids look the picture of health, you ever compare them to a hungry kid in Somalia? I know for a fact our society provides for two hot meals per day in school and for food stamps. Now don't you think the parents should so SOMETHING?
ANYTHING?

As someone who grew up in poverty, I suggest people replace their occasional emotional reactions with a cold hard FEARLESS look at the actual causes of poverty.

As someone who grew up in poverty, I suggest people replace their occasional emotional reactions with a cold hard FEARLESS look at the actual causes of poverty.

by any standards I grew up in poverty too, the deal is you don't know you're poor cause everyone around you is in the same situation. We did have three meals per day, a lot of times it was beans and milk but it was good food. To this day I'll make a good pot of beans and some cornbread. fills the tummy and oh so yummy. EDUCATION is the way out of poverty. EDUCATION.

Myself and my 6 siblings (aged 3-18) were poor children from the mid 60's to the mid 70's. That's 10 years of hard time.

Excuse me if I have no high def color video from that era.

And to this day we blame no one. It's just how it was.

Nowadays, folks spend more time pointing blame than they do just dealing with it. Or taking responsibility for doing something about it.

Deal with it. Ride it out. Move on.

I gotta tell you hon,, these kids look the picture of health, you ever compare them to a hungry kid in Somalia? I know for a fact our society provides for two hot meals per day in school and for food stamps. Now don't you think the parents should so SOMETHING?
ANYTHING?

You should make that the bumper sticker for the Republican Party.

I think that pretty much sums up the Republican agenda for American children.

"They look good compared to kids in Somalia."

"They look good compared to kids in Somalia."

Holy shit. Are we now measuring poor American children against Somalia?
It was only a matter of time, liberals are acheving their goal of equality.

At first liberals thought they could bring the brown people up to civilized standards for equality, nope turns out we will have to bring white people down to achive equality.

At first liberals thought they could bring the brown people up to civilized standards for equality, nope turns out we will have to bring white people down to achive equality.

We know who brought us to this lowly place. Bush and his compassionate conservatives have made America a third world country.

We know who brought us to this lowly place. Bush and his compassionate conservatives have made America a third world country.
I agree, unfortunately just like many white folks Bush allowed his compassion to overide his logic.

I agree, unfortunately just like many white folks Bush allowed his compassion to overide his logic.

That's funny. Apparently you failed to grasp the facetiousness behind "compassionate" conservatives...

Last edited:
I know that no other President in history gave more to black Africa then did President Bush, but he failed to realize that all the money in the world will not make the races of people equal

I know that no other President in history gave more to black Africa then did President Bush, but he failed to realize that all the money in the world will not make the races of people equal

You mean funding to help fight the Aids epidemic in Africa.

i. As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

I used to be surprised at how gullible folks like you were...then I saw that Barack Obama had been elected.
At least no one's accused you o' being politically-literate.....the natural-order o' things, as-far-as The Heritage Foundation is concerned.

259.gif

"Americans are in deep denial about our wealth inequality. In the US, the richest fifth have 84 percent of the wealth – and most of us don’t consider this to be a problem. In fact, we don’t even guess at the distribution close to correctly. In a recent poll by Duke’s Dan Ariely and Harvard’s Michael Norton, respondents thought that lucky fifth has more like 59 percent of all US wealth and favor them owning just 32 percent of it."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyfvamwM4Yo]Will Rogers - Bacon, Beans, and Limousines - YouTube[/ame]​

Forum List

Back