Children and cell phones

pennyville73

Aug 31, 2004
Massachusetts
How do you all feel about teens and pre-teens having cell phones?
My brother just gave one to his 10 year old daughter and I totally dissagree with it.

pennyville73 said:
How do you all feel about teens and pre-teens having cell phones?
My brother just gave one to his 10 year old daughter and I totally dissagree with it.

I agree,I think 10 is too young. A ten year old shouldn't be in a position where an adult isn'tpresent or doesn't have easy access to a phone.My nephew is 13 and had one,and at first I was leary,but I agree now. He is at that age where he and his friends are goin to play baseball up the street or going to movies. It's good for my brother or sis in law to be able to always call and make sure things are o.k.,or he can call them quickly if there is trouble. He is a great kid-honor roll,athelete,but that doesn't mean that something bad couldn't happen.

I agree at a certain age its ok. My other niece is 12 and has one, but its prepaid and my sister will only refill it once a month...But I still think even 12 is a little too young. Like you said neither one of them is ever some where without an adult. I dont know, maybe its just because I have a major pet-peeve with cell phones. I dont have or want one...lol

pennyville73 said:
I agree at a certain age its ok. My other niece is 12 and has one, but its prepaid and my sister will only refill it once a month...But I still think even 12 is a little too young. Like you said neither one of them is ever some where without an adult. I dont know, maybe its just because I have a major pet-peeve with cell phones. I dont have or want one...lol

I wouldn't mind having one. My husband has one for work. There are times I could use one. My just turnes ten year old boy has decided he needs one because my nephew has one. No way,I told him. I think he just wants to text message my nephew and 16 year old brother and play games. That's another thing-you wouldn't believe what these kids text to each other. My sister in law checks my nephews phone on a regular basis-actuallu daily I think. My husband has a friend at work with a 17 year old son,and he was showing him what kind of stuff the teens text-pretty crass!!!

Im pretty sure the only reason my brother got his daughter one is because the 12 year old got one..they are always in competition...lol.
I dont know...maybe I'll feel different when my son is older.

Forum List

Back