Children and Alcohol

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
When I lived in Europe, things were different. On special occasions, I would allow my children to have a small glass of wine or champagne with a meal (Christmas, or birthdays - that sort of thing).

Now in America, I have a feeling that if I continue to try and educate my children about alcohol, it's going to cause trouble.

What;s the official line on kids and alcohol in the US., and do you agree with it? :confused:

When I lived in Europe, things were different. On special occasions, I would allow my children to have a small glass of wine or champagne with a meal (Christmas, or birthdays - that sort of thing).

Now in America, I have a feeling that if I continue to try and educate my children about alcohol, it's going to cause trouble.

What;s the official line on kids and alcohol in the US., and do you agree with it? :confused:

I think a sip of wine on special occasions is ok. I think you may be thinking of parents who throw parties and serve beer and hard liquor to underage kids. That is completely irresponsible.

Also allowing them once in while to sip your wine or beer lets the kids know that it isn't "forbidden" and that it is ok to drink responsibly.

I happen to like red wine and the kids see me drinking a glass almost every night. I tell them, part of the reason I drink it is because of the wine's protective effect on the heart. But, I haven't let them have their own glass yet. Perhaps in a year or two.

The key is to show the kids that you drink in moderation and that you're not drinking to get tipsy or drunk. That's my 2 cents.

I think a sip of wine on special occasions is ok. I think you may be thinking of parents who throw parties and serve beer and hard liquor to underage kids. That is completely irresponsible.

Also allowing them once in while to sip your wine or beer lets the kids know that it isn't "forbidden" and that it is ok to drink responsibly.

I happen to like red wine and the kids see me drinking a glass almost every night. I tell them, part of the reason I drink it is because of the wine's protective effect on the heart. But, I haven't let them have their own glass yet. Perhaps in a year or two.

The key is to show the kids that you drink in moderation and that you're not drinking to get tipsy or drunk. That's my 2 cents.

Actually, what triggered it was a U of M professor who took his kid to his first baseball game.

The kid wanted a drink, so the guy bought him a drink from a stand that said LEMONADE. What he didn't see was the words "Mike's hard" in small type in front of "LEMONADE". As soon as the kid put the cup to his mouth, the cops descended and the kid was in the care of the court system for 2 days.

Fucked up if you ask me.

Fucked up if you ask me.

revenue if you ask me, here any kid with any measureable bac gets hammered for about $1000 in court and course fees

but hey, sharks eat their young too right?

revenue if you ask me, here any kid with any measureable bac gets hammered for about $1000 in court and course fees

but hey, sharks eat their young too right?

If you say so, but I'm guessing you're drawing a parallel here. If so, can you dispense with the parallels and express it in simple terms for simple people (like me)?
:confused:

Actually, what triggered it was a U of M professor who took his kid to his first baseball game.

The kid wanted a drink, so the guy bought him a drink from a stand that said LEMONADE. What he didn't see was the words "Mike's hard" in small type in front of "LEMONADE". As soon as the kid put the cup to his mouth, the cops descended and the kid was in the care of the court system for 2 days.

Fucked up if you ask me.

Yeah, that's the phrase I would use. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Sounds like a complete mistake. The sign wasn't explicit enough.

I'm not saying it was intentional, but had it been, it is definitely child abuse and the cops swarming in is not a bad thing.

A homecare attendant that I knew who came from one of the Islands didn't understand the nuances of our laws and took out a belt to strike her 8 year old daughter on the subway. The police came and took her away immediately and she had a tough time getting her daughter back.

Children know that they can call 911 and tell the police they have been hit and there will be serious trouble for the parent.

If you are giving wine or champagne to your kids for the holidays, it would not be a good idea to make this known. People always think that they know better than you.

Having worked with alcoholics for years I highly recommend your advice.

i'm drinking some scotch to get tipsy and/or drunk.

I don't think I ever had any "lessons" in the proper way to drink. My experience is that if kids want alcohol they will get it, and they will drink to get drunk. I don't drink very often anymore, and I don't drink to get completely smashed, so I think I've found my own balance point. And just think, in 2 1/2 more years I'll be able to drink legally. :tongue:

I don't think I ever had any "lessons" in the proper way to drink. My experience is that if kids want alcohol they will get it, and they will drink to get drunk. I don't drink very often anymore, and I don't drink to get completely smashed, so I think I've found my own balance point. And just think, in 2 1/2 more years I'll be able to drink legally. :tongue:

They aren't official "lessons"--It is simply role modeling how drinking alcohol can be done in moderation. My experience has shown me that lots of kids have no interest in getting drunk at all.

The laws on minors drinking are screwed up, big time. They are based on the negative effects of a minor still developing consuming too much alcohol, which is more than about 1 cups worth in a 6 hour period. Teaching them responsibility at a young age is good, but it's true, the more taboo something is the more likely they are to abuse it when they become teens. Small amounts of alcoholic beverages are actually healthy in some ways to even a small child, which most of the candy they consume is more of a hazard anyway. It should be up to the parents to decide when the kids are ready, most kids don't even like it anyway.

Do we live on the same planet?

Seems you live on Mars. Most kids are not interested in getting drunk until they believe it's taboo, then once they do they simply no longer care to stop. Who really wants to be one of those drunk bums begging for change to get their next drink? Kids aren't stupid, they are rebellious.

Seems you live on Mars. Most kids are not interested in getting drunk until they believe it's taboo, then once they do they simply no longer care to stop. Who really wants to be one of those drunk bums begging for change to get their next drink? Kids aren't stupid, they are rebellious.

Which negates the entire claim that MOST kids are not interested in drinking. It does not matter one bit if they like the taste or not. Sure SOME kids won't drink, but the reality is most will drink and large percent of the most will get drunk and more than once. Claiming most are not interested is simply not true and you admit it.

It's going to cause trouble if you kids get into trouble drunk on the alcohol you gave them.

Otherwise? Not likely.

I think that the official line doesn't much matter and that families are going to practice what they think works for them.

Do we live on the same planet?

LOL. That's what I was thinking. :tongue:

most of the kids I grew up with that liked to drink drank to get drunk... very, very drunk. The others liked to get high. Only a few didn't do either.

most of the kids I grew up with that liked to drink drank to get drunk... very, very drunk. The others liked to get high. Only a few didn't do either.

Your experience isn't the only experience, Amanda. Thinking the whole world did what you did is a pretty common mistake.

THAT explains the huge generation gaps now ... damn, it explains a lot actually, like why education is failing. Growing up we had about five students in high school who had ever even experienced getting drunk and maybe a few junkies. The worst thing was smoking (about 50 students I know of) and we had at least 5,000 students there.

Forum List

Back