Childless Couple advised of radical means to have kids: Do-it.

Well I talked to my son & his wife tonight about this. In the middle of it, he says, "How many can sit in a room & talk sex with their mother sitting there?' Good point.
They tho't -=d=-'s comments about Suzy were funny.

They both felt that either parent should be able to tell their child, of either sex, the basics. But my son felt that it would be much more difficult for a father to explain the details to a daughter about her body.

They didn't feel that being told about sex would encourage one to rush out & try it. They did say however, that kids WILL experiment. It's better they know the hows & whys waaay before then.

Joz said:
They didn't feel that being told about sex would encourage one to rush out & try it. They did say however, that kids WILL experiment. It's better they know the hows & whys waaay before then.

I agree - My kids won't be 'more likely' to have sex before marriage simply because they know 'about' sex. Frankly, I believe my son WILL have sex before he gets married - not that I prefer him to...I just believe in the whole 'sins of the father....' concept.

My daughter...on the other hand...Yeah...The jury is still out. I'm hoping to give her all the appropriate love and attention she needs, so she will be less inclined to seek those things from boys.

Joz said:

See, I disagree. I think that it's quite possible to convince your kids to remain abstinent until marriage. I refuse to believe that all kids are going to have sex in high school, and that there's nothing I can do about it.

gop_jeff said:
See, I disagree. I think that it's quite possible to convince your kids to remain abstinent until marriage. I refuse to believe that all kids are going to have sex in high school, and that there's nothing I can do about it.

I think it's possible that kids can decide not to have sex in high school. I think it's important to have frank discussions with my kids so they know what's happening with their bodies also. I don't need my daughters education coming from a boy, that's for sure.

At least if they have an understanding of sex, they can make good choices about whether to have it or not and also how to prevent pregnancy.

I have told my kids little by little as they go along. I have 4 kids: girl-8, girl-7, boy-5, and boy-3. The boys haven't asked any questions yet, but the girls did, esp. when i was pregnant w/ the boys. At first, I told them that God took a piece from the daddy and a piece from the mommy. then He put a spirit in and put it all together inside the mommy's belly. My 8yr old just recently asked more about that time of the month, since she walked in on me in the bathroom, so i sat her down and explained what goes on inside a woman's body, drew a picture. I have just been telling them matter-of-factly, as they go along and get curious. It seems to be working. They teach sex ed in 5th grade at our school, so plan to tell my kids before then about the mechanics.

I have heard that the average age of mensus is TEN now!!! Isn't this awfully young? has anyone else heard anything about this? It's freaking me out!

gop_jeff said:

Too true. I have read that more and more couples getting married are virgin couples, and the average age of "the first time" is getting older for both girls and boys. I have this expectation for all my kids, boys and girls.

mom4 said:
I have told my kids little by little as they go along. I have 4 kids: girl-8, girl-7, boy-5, and boy-3. The boys haven't asked any questions yet, but the girls did, esp. when i was pregnant w/ the boys. At first, I told them that God took a piece from the daddy and a piece from the mommy. then He put a spirit in and put it all together inside the mommy's belly. My 8yr old just recently asked more about that time of the month, since she walked in on me in the bathroom, so i sat her down and explained what goes on inside a woman's body, drew a picture. I have just been telling them matter-of-factly, as they go along and get curious. It seems to be working. They teach sex ed in 5th grade at our school, so plan to tell my kids before then about the mechanics.

I have heard that the average age of mensus is TEN now!!! Isn't this awfully young? has anyone else heard anything about this? It's freaking me out!

This is how I did it also. My older kids got curious when I was pregnant and I explained the basics. My daughter is 9 now and just now was curious about monthies. I thought the average age was 11-12 though. Scary to think of a 10 yr old having to worry about it.

My oldest is 11, boy, and he isn't interrested in girls at all yet. NO signs of puberty starting. Our neighbor boy is 13 and is looking at girls. He told my son he thinks they're interresting, my son asked why?? The neighbor said "I don't know, they just are"??? Gotta love those hormones.

mom4 said:
Too true. I have read that more and more couples getting married are virgin couples, and the average age of "the first time" is getting older for both girls and boys. I have this expectation for all my kids, boys and girls.
gop-jeff said:
See I disagree, I thinkithat it's quite possible to convince your kids to remain abstinent until marriage. I refuse to believe that all kids are going to have sex in high school, and that there's nothing I can do about it.

Well, first I think I said experiment. That covers a wide range. Second, there are many who have opted to remain virgins until marriage. Choice being made from religious influence and also the AIDS epidemic. But I know alot of college kids that regularly participate in oral sex; remaining a virgin.

I'm glad to hear that you know how to rear perfect children. I wasn't able to figure that out while mine were growing up. I had to dicipline them for behavior that I didn't approve; after they entered school, I couldn't be with them all 24 hours anymore. I could only instruct them and pray that when they were away from me, influenced by others, that they would make a responsible decision. Most of the time I believe they did, sometimes not.

-=d=- said:
That wasn't neccessary... :(
Sure it was.
If you have complete control over your children it will be thru dominance / fear & you can make them do whatever you want, like a puppet. I considered chaining mine in the basement.

Joz said:
Sure it was.
If you have complete control over your children it will be thru dominance / fear & you can make them do whatever you want, like a puppet. I considered chaining mine in the basement.

Again the sarcasm

Joz said:
Well, first I think I said experiment. That covers a wide range. Second, there are many who have opted to remain virgins until marriage. Choice being made from religious influence and also the AIDS epidemic. But I know alot of college kids that regularly participate in oral sex; remaining a virgin.

I'm glad to hear that you know how to rear perfect children. I wasn't able to figure that out while mine were growing up. I had to dicipline them for behavior that I didn't approve; after they entered school, I couldn't be with them all 24 hours anymore. I could only instruct them and pray that when they were away from me, influenced by others, that they would make a responsible decision. Most of the time I believe they did, sometimes not.

Well, I certainly have other ways of influencing kids aside from chaining them in their rooms and threatening bodily harm. What I meant was that I am going to do everything I can to convince my children to wait until they are married to have sex, or experiment, etc. etc. I certainly don't want them repeating my mistakes in this area.

And I also will make sure that my kids don't give in to the misconception that just because they didn't engage in sexual intercourse and are "technically a virgin," they are still acting in a morally correct way. God's standards for purity are much higher than "We didn't have sex," and my kids will know and understand that.

gop_jeff said:
Well, I certainly have other ways of influencing kids aside from chaining them in their rooms and threatening bodily harm. What I meant was that I am going to do everything I can to convince my children to wait until they are married to have sex, or experiment, etc. etc. I certainly don't want them repeating my mistakes in this area.

And I also will make sure that my kids don't give in to the misconception that just because they didn't engage in sexual intercourse and are "technically a virgin," they are still acting in a morally correct way. God's standards for purity are much higher than "We didn't have sex," and my kids will know and understand that.
I rest my case.

gop_jeff said:

My sentiments exactly. My father's advice to his four girls was "If you can't be good, be careful." I want my kids to know I think more highly of them than this, that I have better expectations for them because they are worth more. That this is a very serious thing, not just a casual activity that calls for a flippant warning.

Didn't mean to offend you, Joz.

mom4 said:
My sentiments exactly. My father's advice to his four girls was "If you can't be good, be careful." I want my kids to know I think more highly of them than this, that I have better expectations for them because they are worth more. That this is a very serious thing, not just a casual activity that calls for a flippant warning.

Didn't mean to offend you, Joz.
No offense. My point is that no matter what you strive to instill in your child(ren) you cannot be with them 24/7 to make sure they are behaving according to your wishes. Hence the sex talks, praise for accomplishments, talks about defeat & disappointment. Too many people donot take rearing children seriously. And sex is just one aspect of that.

Joz said:
No offense. My point is that no matter what you strive to instill in your child(ren) you cannot be with them 24/7 to make sure they are behaving according to your wishes. Hence the sex talks, praise for accomplishments, talks about defeat & disappointment. Too many people donot take rearing children seriously. And sex is just one aspect of that.

Agreed.

Hey Jeff, if you don't mind taking advice from a stranger :eek:... Please put your two cents in with your daughter and the sex thing. Maybe your wife could do the big explanation, but a dad's input is soooooo important as to how a girl feels about herself. Many young girls do it because they are looking for love. Boys do it just to do it; although they may care about you, that's not why they are doing it. Many young girls romanticize it. Please make sure your daughter knows that if a boy really loves her, he will wait. And if he won't wait, he doesn't deserve her.

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz

Forum List

Back