Childhood Family Vacations

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
What do you remember about them??

For me it was always about the pool, I would spend hours till my lips were blue and teeth chattering.

And the Howard Johnson's restauarants on the road to Florida.

I remember mostly riding in the back of a '79 Ford Pickup, under a canopy and sitting on a green matress.

:)

We didn't vacation much.

Dozens of camping trips, mostly in Alberta, BC, Montana, Washington, Idaho and Algonquin Park. We went camping in Saskachewan once, never forget that trip. The cows occupying the ranch next to the camp ground managed to get into the park, cows everywhere!

On another trip, a ground hog stole the bread off our cooler, and my mother chased it the stupid thing through the woods. She actaully managed to get it back, she's such a dweeb.

Did anyone collect deer poop? My cousin and I did that once. Camping sucks.

We only had about 3 or 4 and they were combined with business trips.
But it was the excitement of going someplace different....the food...movie magazines in the hotel room, and the late nights.

Joz said:
But it was the excitement of going someplace different....the food...movie magazines in the hotel room, and the late nights.

You got to stay in hotels?? No fair!

Joz said:

Definately getting to stay up late, and for some reason I liked getting up at four in the morning and gettig on the road while it was still dark out. And if it was cold out I couldn't wait till it started to feel warm out the farther south we would go, and till I could see my first palm tree.

The closest thing we ever got to this was all packed into a hot car with no air conditioning and travelling to Illinois to see my maternal Grandmother. Car trips suck, but they suck even worse when there is no air conditioning and you are traveling through Nebraska "Alphalpha territory"....

We did a lot of camping and fishing so I have a lot of various memories in regards to that. But on road trips, we did a couple when I was a kid. I remember once we drove our 1972 Plymouth Fury from Texas out to Cali to see my dad's sisters. I remember late at night sleeping in the back seat and hearing the sound of my dad putting gas in the car. Sounds crazy, but I remember the sound more than anything... I would always be half asleep...

I also remember one year my dad bougth this old run down motor home and we drove it out to Cali. On the way back as we were heading up I-40 and into Kingman, AZ, we blew a head-gasket on the damn thing... luckily we had some cousins living in Kingman that helped us out...

I miss the old road trips and stopping and camping along the way. Those memories will be with me forever.

freeandfun1 said:
We did a lot of camping and fishing so I have a lot of various memories in regards to that. But on road trips, we did a couple when I was a kid. I remember once we drove our 1972 Plymouth Fury from Texas out to Cali to see my dad's sisters. I remember late at night sleeping in the back seat and hearing the sound of my dad putting gas in the car. Sounds crazy, but I remember the sound more than anything... I would always be half asleep...

I also remember one year my dad bougth this old run down motor home and we drove it out to Cali. On the way back as we were heading up I-40 and into Kingman, AZ, we blew a head-gasket on the damn thing... luckily we had some cousins living in Kingman that helped us out...

I miss the old road trips and stopping and camping along the way. Those memories will be with me forever.

Oh yeah, car trouble forgot about that. The muffler on my dad's truck fell off on our back from Boston one year! My hampster was almost confiscated at the boarder once too, scary moments. :D

My sister, she was adopted and is Vietnamese by birth, was once held at the border for three hours until my parents could finally find her birth certificate so that we could go home.

I had forgotten all about that trip to Mexico... I was about 5, my sister about 4.

Said1 said:
Oh yeah, car trouble forgot about that. The muffler on my dad's truck fell off on our back from Boston one year! My hampster was almost confiscated at the boarder once too, scary moments. :D

Oh hamster!!
I had many a hamster..

I did take my cats to Florida one time, even put sunglasses on them, then the car overheated because the radiator went, so I was somewhere in bumble bee Carolina with two very overheated cats and mustang in a hotel room overnight till my car could be fixed. Cats spent the night terrified under the bed, and I ate a Wendy's chicken sandwich watching TV. Thank God they had cable, so Outrageous Fortune with Shelly Long helped me forget about my troubles.

freeandfun1 said:

One of my parents first vacation cars was a Ford hatchback very small but great on gas I guess, anyway they would load up tha back with luggage leaving me enough room to lay down and look up at the sky through the hatch back window. I slept mostly or listened to my tape player and headphones.. and I do recall hearing gas being pumped into the tank which was right under me....

Forum List

Back