Child tax credits and earned income credits

There should be no deductions for having kids and all tax credits should be gotten rid of.

If you have an income you should get taxed on the gross.

Yep pure flat rate tax system with NO deductions and EVERYONE pays the same percentage on ALL income.

I disagree. The progressive tax system takes into account that first dollars you earn are more likely to be used for necessities than the higher and higher dollars you earn, and it doesn't make sense to make the tax burden as high on your food and shelter dollars, for example, compared to your hundred thousandth, or millionth dollar.

You can simplify the tax system without flattening it,

by retaining progressive brackets while eliminating various deductions, credits, loopholes, etc.

HOWEVER, in the real world, the preferential treatment of taxpayers with children is not going anywhere EVER...

...so you can enjoy talking about it, but don't let yourself be deluded into thinking you're talking about anything feasible.

And it doesn't make sense for you to argue for equal protection in one situation and against it in others.

Okay so I'm new here, but I have read enough to know that there are sooooo many different viewpoints. So let me ask you this....
What is your view on the child tax credit and earned income credit? Should we be giving these tax credits? Tell me what you think.

No. The tax code is not the place to implement social engineering and charity.

There is one logical argument for one tax treatment of people with children -

The income of a household of, say, 4, should be taxed as that income divided by 4.

A single person making 60,000 a year obviously makes 60,000 a year for one person, and should be taxed in the appropriate bracket.

A household of four with one breadwinner making 60,000 a year is effectively 4 people making 15,000 each;

that's 4 people in the 15,000 bracket, which is a lower tax than the 1st example.

Okay so I'm guessing you need a college degree to post a thread. You can give opinions on both types of tax credits, like skull pilot above.
I don't even know how to use the quote stuff yet.
Boy it's going to be really hard finding people who aren't so condescending isn't it?
Maybe give a newbie a break?

You'll learn that the majority of right wingers on this site are not interested in discussion. Just throwing out (what they consider to be) a witty jab and moving on. They don't have their own opinions, just what they hear on Fox News and Conservative radio. That's why they ask for your opinion first so they can know whether or not to ridicule you or blindly give you that all important positive reputation.

With that said, welcome to the site.

Okay so I'm guessing you need a college degree to post a thread. You can give opinions on both types of tax credits, like skull pilot above.
I don't even know how to use the quote stuff yet.
Boy it's going to be really hard finding people who aren't so condescending isn't it?
Maybe give a newbie a break?

You'll learn that the majority of right wingers on this site are not interested in discussion. Just throwing out (what they consider to be) a witty jab and moving on. They don't have their own opinions, just what they hear on Fox News and Conservative radio. That's why they ask for your opinion first so they can know whether or not to ridicule you or blindly give you that all important positive reputation.

With that said, welcome to the site.

Nice post. Slow day at the baitshop?

Child tax credits and earned income credits are used to "refund" money to people who never paid any taxes to begin with. No it shouldn't be allowed. The concept is asinine.

The income of a household of, say, 4, should be taxed as that income divided by 4.

A single person making 60,000 a year obviously makes 60,000 a year for one person, and should be taxed in the appropriate bracket.

A household of four with one breadwinner making 60,000 a year is effectively 4 people making 15,000 each;

that's 4 people in the 15,000 bracket, which is a lower tax than the 1st example.

Of course if there are no 'brackets', if all income is taxed the same, it doesn't really make any difference.

It's simply social engineering by the government, they want to promote the family unit, hence tax credits for having babies and getting married.

I agree with other posters, a type of flat tax is what we need. However I also think it won't ever happen, at least not in my lifetime. Tax credits allow politicians to exert power over the masses, they know this and have no intention to ever give it up.

Why should you pay less taxes because you chose to have children?
Your children put more tax burden on society, and yet you get a tax break for having them.

Children, in productive homes, tend to grow up to be productive. It's old people who have lost all usefulness and only become a burden :D

Seriously, since when do we grant the government so much confiscation power over our labor? Our schools are abysmal. Our roads never seem to get finished without first costing millions or billions more, then when we were fist asked to vote for that municipal bond that would pay for them...the complaints could go on with how bad government is with OUR money.

So, for those people who are productive and can keep more of their own money?...yeah I am all for it!

Having kids does not make one "productive"

And penalizing people who responsibly choose not to have kids via higher taxes is unjust.

There should be no deductions for having kids and all tax credits should be gotten rid of.

"Corporations are people too"; hence, what you suggest will never happen.

The net profit corporations is already taxed.

If you sell your labor you have no material cost or operating expenses so therefore your income is your net profit.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm new here, but I have read enough to know that there are sooooo many different viewpoints. So let me ask you this....
What is your view on the child tax credit and earned income credit? Should we be giving these tax credits? Tell me what you think.

As an instrument of proven social benefit, child tax credits should be limited to married couples filing joint tax returns. We should stop rewarding out of wedlock births. The EITC is just another welfare program disguised as tax policy and administered by the IRS.

There should be no child tax credits as they force people without children to subsidize the children of others.

If you want kids then you pay for them.

There should be no child tax credits as they force people without children to subsidize the children of others.

You have a good point, although those children are (hopefully) going to support us in the future with their taxes. However, I do think that that married couples with minor children should be able to average their incomes (i.e., joint returns) in order to allow for one parent to assume greater child care duties.

Last edited:

so people that have no income and pay not taxes should be figured in?
Why?

Yep personal responsibility for your actions, you made em you pay for em.

Last edited:

If you sell your labor you have no material cost so therefore your income is your net profit.

Ahh but you have expenses to fulfill your labor job.
Transportation to and from work, clothing, etc.
Many aspects of these items were deductable before Reagan's "Tax cuts".
Interest on auto loans was deductable, gasoline tax was deductable for individuals, etc.

If you sell your labor you have no material cost so therefore your income is your net profit.

Ahh but you have expenses to fulfill your labor job.
Transportation to and from work, clothing, etc.
Many aspects of these items were deductable before Reagan's "Tax cuts".
Interest on auto loans was deductable, gasoline tax was deductable for individuals, etc.

That's an issue for people to take up.

But if you are required to buy a uniform or other equipment necessary for your job you can write them off.

No. There should be no tax expenditures in the tax code at all. None. Zip. Zilch.

Tax expenditures should be banned, period.

If you don't buy the right kind of refrigerator, you are given a tax penalty. You have to pay more taxes than the person who did buy the right kind of refrigerator. This is beyond ridiculous.

You are penalized for not buying the right kind of energy, for not buying the right kind of washing machine, and so forth and so on. This is why the government was able to get away with penalizing you for not buying the right kind of health insurance.

The government also penalizes you for not being married, for not having children, and even for not being heterosexual!

Oil companies get tax breaks, bankers get tax breaks, agribusinesses get credits.

There are over one trillion dollars in government giveaways every year. A tax expenditure is added to the tax code at the rate of at least one new one every day!

Why? Because a Congressman gets a kickback by way of campaign cash when he slips one as a rider onto a completely unrelated bill.

End tax expenditures and you have just enacted one of the most effective campaign finance reforms in the history of this country. And you have gone a long way toward leveling the playing field in elections.

Right now, if a Congressman decides to run for re-election, he has a 98 percent chance of succeeding. This SCREAMS corruption, and tax expenditures are a huge part of that.

You have a good point, although those children are (hopefully) going to support us in the future with their taxes. However, I do think that that married couples with minor children should be able to average their incomes (i.e., joint returns) in order to allow for one parent to assume greater child care duties.

If and when they do pay taxes in the future, great. But not all of them will, so to subsidize them beforehand is pointless.

Forum List

Back