Child Support is unfair

I specialized in Family Law for years. Decades. She doesn't let me see the kids is followed closely by she doesn't spend the money on the kids. Judges care about neither when it comes to child support.

The only unfair thing about child support the one who is paying it can't use it as a tax deduction I pay a thousand a month for one child and can't use it as a deduction

Why should you get a tax deduction for this? I can't deduct the money I spend on my kids. Do you think that everyone should be able to get a tax deduction for every dollar they spend on their kids?

The only unfair thing about child support the one who is paying it can't use it as a tax deduction I pay a thousand a month for one child and can't use it as a deduction

Why should you get a tax deduction for this? I can't deduct the money I spend on my kids. Do you think that everyone should be able to get a tax deduction for every dollar they spend on their kids?

Don't you get a child credit on your taxes? And can't you claim daycare costs?

I think you only get that credit if you're under a certain income?

And daycare costs are a tiny fraction of the cost of having children in your home.

I paid $1100 one month in child care alone for my two when I was working as a reporter. Cripes it was insane.

You don't get to claim your children as dependents on your taxes?

Child support is not tax deductible because it is not taxable income. Now if you want child support to be tax deductible, go back to court and have the support designation changed to family support. Then you can deduct it and the mother has to claim it as income.

Child support is not tax deductible because it is not taxable income. Now if you want child support to be tax deductible, go back to court and have the support designation changed to family support. Then you can deduct it and the mother has to claim it as income.

That is brilliant advice if true! Wish I knew about that 20 years ago when it mattered!

It shouldn't be taxable income.

I can understand the feeling, however whether she/he takes that specific check and spends it on nails or beer, is not the other parents business.

Think of the money for child support as a reimbursement check, for monies the primary parent has already spent that month for the child.

Nails? Money for beer already spent on the child?

Yes the system is fucked up and this is a perfect case in point.

Last edited:
I can understand the feeling, however whether she/he takes that specific check and spends it on nails or beer, is not the other parents business.

Think of the money for child support as a reimbursement check, for monies the primary parent has already spent that month for the child.

Nails? Money for beer already spent on the child?

Yes the system is fucked up and this is a perfect case in point.

Right now I am getting an average of 30 bucks a month in child support. Yes that goes back to paying for what I spend on my child a month. I don't usually buy beer with my child support but I did, I would feel fine in the fact I spent more than 30 dollars on my child this month.
The courts should make idiots actually get a job where they can pay their support.

If dads and moms would understand they are not paying for anything, they are supporting kids. If a kid lived with you in your home, would you only spend $100.00 per week on that child?? Would you and your wife only spend $200.00 per week on that child??

Quit thinking of it as payment and think of it's intended use, support as in a place to live, a bed to sleep in, clothes, shoes, school supplies........you know the things it takes a child to live. Moms can't always spend child support checks on the kids, sometimes they have to pay the light bill with it. ;)

The Only Rule

If a parent is going to pay court-order child support, the parent should have the lawyer convince the judge that the child and custodial parent cannot leave the judicial district for any signficant amount of time or prepare to move elsewhere without the prior approval of the court.

The welfare of the child supercedes the custodial or non-custodial parent's desire to relocate elsewhere. Future marriage has nothing to with the order.

The children remains in the district until the judge says otherwise.

The Only Rule

If a parent is going to pay court-order child support, the parent should have the lawyer convince the judge that the child and custodial parent cannot leave the judicial district for any signficant amount of time or prepare to move elsewhere without the prior approval of the court.

The welfare of the child supercedes the custodial or non-custodial parent's desire to relocate elsewhere. Future marriage has nothing to with the order.

The children remains in the district until the judge says otherwise.

Here you can't move to another school district without the other parents approval. I have no clue where my kid's dad is right now, he hasn't seen my son since last spring and I haven't talked to him in almost two months but I still have to have his approval to move school districts. Of course he doesn't reply to the courts when they notify him, which takes awhile especially if he ignores the notices I can move but that usually takes months.
It took my friend I think four months to get approval from the courts after her kids dad wouldn't respond to be able to move to another town within the same state.

I can't believe some of you actually think its ok to spend child support money on yourself. How does personal luxury equate ti child support?

I can't believe some of you actually think its ok to spend child support money on yourself. How does personal luxury equate ti child support?

Dude...you don't get it. Your child support dollars are a drop in the bucket compared to the actual cost of raising one. Child care while the custodial parent alone can and does bleed single moms(or dads) dry.

I'll tell you what....have her itemize every expenditure on that child for a month...especially August when people are doing the "back to school" thing....and offer to pay half of that every month......believe me....you're getting off cheap.

You've had it explained to you repeatedly, by a variety of people including at least one attorney. You can't understand it because you are so focused on your desire to control you are completely blinded to reality.

It is impossible to change child support payments, which are not tax deductible, to alimony payments which are. One may be ordered to pay alimony in addition to child support, but the courts are required to assess child support and there is no way to get around that obligation.

Now you may TRY to petition the court to designate statutory child support as alimony, but you get bet your ass that the wife will have an attorney on her said that will make your lawyer look like a fool. I wouldn't even by surprised if the court imposed sanctions on your lawyer.

This I know: What you suggest has never been done and never will be done. Please look for links to support your argument, because you will not find a single one.

PS: Here is some advice on the subject from your friendly IRS:

Publication 17 (2011), Your Federal Income Tax

Last edited:

Forum List

Back