Child Support is unfair

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Aristotle, Oct 6, 2012.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    Thread title,
    I've avoided responding to this thread so far, but I'm going to take the leap now.
    I'll start with some cliff notes of my background in regards to child support.

When I first got divorced, my wife and I managed to work out custody and support agreements without any attorneys. Both of us had the children's best interest in mind, so it wasn't difficult. We did an exact 50/50 custody, and since we both made about the same income, there was no need for a support agreement. I made slightly more than her and medical insurance was cheaper through my employer than through hers.
    A few years went by and she decided to relocate to another city, leaving me as the custodial parent. Again, without attorneys, we agreed to an equitable and fair amount of child support for her to pay. The problem arose when she failed to pay what we had agreed upon.

I was forced to hire an attorney so that I could get court ordered child support.
    And, you are damn straight, Aristotle, child support isn't fair. The amount of child support that my attorney and my state said that my ex-wife was obligated to pay was ridiculously high. The ex-wife and I were still making about the same income, and I knew that If I was responsible for making the child support payments they were telling me that she had to make, I'd lose my house and have to live like a pauper to pay them. My attorney thought I was crazy, the family court judge thought I was crazy, because I only asked for a reasonable amount of child support that was about 60% of what the court system deemed as reasonable.

The unfairness in child support is the amount the courts seem to think is reasonable, not the child support itself.

My ex-wife paid her child support, I'm not sure she would have paid the (or could afford) the unreasonable amount the state determined with it's screwed up formula.

2. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,901
    They've adopted the universal child support guildelines now so there's less of the extremes going on.

Alaska used to REAM non-custodial parents.

3. brandinsmith

brandinsmith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The system is completely messed up:(. I am the wife of a man who was just incarcerated when money was coming out of his check. I can't get him out unless I have $10,300. I have a campaign explaining my story. If you have the heart to check it out, contribute, or even simply spread on your social medias or around the web I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you ADMIN EDIT...against forum policy to solicit

4. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,740
    Oh mother of Christ.

5. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    It was certainly unfair of your husband to have children with a woman and then refuse to support those children. It was certainly and absolutely unfair of your husband to marry you and have yet more babies that he knew he could not support. It was absolutely unfair of YOU to have children with a man known not to support the child he already has.

What IS fair? The mother of his child to just accept that he moved on, has another family to support and she is shit out of luck? Or, maybe that telling men to support their children at all is unfair.

Unfortunately for you, is that this is a bed that you made yourself. Your predicament comes entirely from bad decisions that you made. We all make bad decisions. It's not up to others to correct our mistakes.

6. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I'm assuming you get to at least split the tax credit for the kid? The money itself should not be tax deductible. The kid is not a business expense.

7. ScienceRocks

ScienceRocks Democrat all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,858
    If you fuck and a woman has your child = paying for your child.

Fucking dead beats.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013