Child 'slavery' now being imported to U.S.

After living for 10 years in Utah, I have no objection to legalizing polygamy between consenting adults. It might bring this practice out of the shadows and address some of the ongoing abuses of the welfare system that are currently plaguing places like Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas.

Bullshit Catz,, every one of those men who take 10 or 20 wives and have 50 children put them all on welfare! bring it out of the shadows my arse.

Actually, I was at the UNICEF site earlier this morning, considering those statistics. As a response to the OP, I suggest imposing prohibitive fines within the U.S. and reinforcing organizations such as UNICEF that protect children from predators. You have to start some where.

Again, it all reverts back to dual labor market theory. If you restrict access to the primary labor market, workers will flood the secondary labor market, where they will not benefit from whatever minimal regulations and critical payment they received in the primary labor market.

And again, I would question their definition of "children." Strong male adolescents obviously aren't incapable of manual labor, and would not be afflicted by it in the same manner as legitimate children.

don't go buy youselves any of those expensive hand woven carpets,, whose tiny hands do ya suppose tie those tiny little knots?

Good luck with that. Look at how vast the illegal alien problem is in the US. We simply either don't care or don't have the manpower to fix all the problems.

they won't be illegal for long, we now have Napolitano, Richardson and Solos (sp) in the obamalma power train..

These people were so rich that they didnt even work stayed at home all day. So the fine should be pay for the child not based on minimum wage but based on what typical nannies and maids make in that area. Then on top of that a slavery fine and on top of that a fine to pay for their stint in jail so the tax payer does not have to pay for it.

:clap2:

The Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking
About OCFT ILAB - Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking (OCFT)

The Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking (OCFT) is part of the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of International Labor Affairs (ILAB). The office was created in 1993 in response to a request from Congress to investigate and report on child labor around the world. As domestic and international concern about child labor grew, OCFT’s activities significantly expanded. Today, these activities include research on international child labor, forced labor, and human trafficking; funding and overseeing cooperative agreements and contracts to organizations engaged in efforts to eliminate exploitive child labor around the world; and assisting in the development and implementation of U.S. government policy on international child labor, forced labor, and human trafficking issues.

Again, it all reverts back to dual labor market theory. If you restrict access to the primary labor market, workers will flood the secondary labor market, where they will not benefit from whatever minimal regulations and critical payment they received in the primary labor market.

And again, I would question their definition of "children." Strong male adolescents obviously aren't incapable of manual labor, and would not be afflicted by it in the same manner as legitimate children.

I would say it all goes back to human rights.

A free and fair market can and should be established without endorsing or enabling predatory practices.

Strong male adolescents obviously aren't incapable of manual labor, and would not be afflicted by it in the same manner as legitimate children.

I agree.

I was under the impression that most of us had an interest in protecting children, and for that matter, all people, from dangerous and hazardous working conditions and wage slavery, and prohibitionist policies don't seem to accomplish that purpose especially well. I fail to see how pointing this out is irrelevant to this thread.

I think I understand what you are trying to point out with your quote.

That people who wish to help children by pushing for restrictions on child labor need to take the long view of the consequences of their acts and prepare some way of providing for these newly unemplyed kids so that they are not obliged to enter the labor black market, become prostitutes or smuggled into the US as illegal servants. Not go from the frying pan into the fire, so to say.
It's a step in the right direction to fight for child labor laws in these 3rd world countries but the next step is to be sure that the laws don't have unintended consequences such as forcing poor children to go underground in search of work in order to eat. Getting the kids out of the factories is only the first step. Getting them fed and sheltered and educated is the next step.

For many Egyptians, this is business as usual. This is true in many Muslim countries.
I think it is more accurate to say this is true practice in many third world countries. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with economics. It happens in India, South America, Thailand, not just Egypt.

Child labor should be illegal in the USA

We should NOT TRADE with nations which allow it, either

What exactly do you mean by child labor? And do you think it should be catagorically criminalized?

I worked as a child, starting at about 13. Probably babysat at an even younger age. A friend of mine grew up on a dairy farm and he and his siblings were expected to do chores and help with the family business. I would not want to see those kinds of work banned, though certainly restrictions on type of work and number of hours worked are necessary.

I agree that we should boycott goods made by child slaves. But we should also provide aid to those children so they dont suffer worse consequences as a result of our actions.

That is NOT enough punishment for somebody who does child slavery in the USA in 2008.

These people should have been stripped o every damned they own, those assets should be given to their victim, and they should be imprisoned for the rest of the cursed lives.

Deport their children since they were not responsible for what their parents did, and naturally took their queues about what is fair and just from them.

We want to END this problem?

We need to make it absolutely clear to the people who come here that child slavery will NOT be tolerated.

These people are child abusers.

I actually believe that legalization would face more resistance from the LDS Church hierarchy (which wants to distance itself from its roots as much as possible) than from Christians. Christians simply don't wield enough political clout in Utah to make a difference.

Good points. I think you are right about resistance coming mainly from the Mormon church. But still, people of all types would be freaked out. Look how nutty people get about ordinary gay monogamous marriage. I have no objection to polygamy practiced by adults but I think it's along way off from being accepted by mainstream America.

These people were so rich that they didnt even work stayed at home all day. So the fine should be pay for the child not based on minimum wage but based on what typical nannies and maids make in that area. Then on top of that a slavery fine and on top of that a fine to pay for their stint in jail so the tax payer does not have to pay for it.

Sounds like a fair judgement to me.

"While international commitment and pressure are important, boycotts and other sweeping measures can only affect export sectors, which are relatively small exploiters of child labour. "

I was not aware of this. This is something to consider.

Not to go off topic but this issue just brings to mind how important it is to provide birth control for the poor worldwide.

Forum List

Back