Child Marriage In Iran

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
Ibn Ishaq, The Life of Muhammad...
Muhammad married ‘A’isha in Mecca when she was a child of six and lived with her in Medina when she was nine or ten. She was the only virgin that he married. Her father, Abu Bakr, married her to him and the apostle gave her four hundred dirhams.

Iran, Yemen And The Plague Of Forced Marriages: Millions Of Girls Are Made To Become Child Brides
Human rights violations in Iran were brought to light once again last week when a United Nations committee voted to censure the nation for widespread abuses, including what they deemed "pervasive gender inequality and violence against women."

Perhaps one of the most troubling and culturally ingrained of these abuses is the practice of child marriage - which not only plagues the Islamic Republic, but is all too common around the world. The humanitarian organization CARE estimates that "more than 60 million girls under the age of 18 are married, many to men twice their age or older."

Born in a remote village in Iran, I know this subject intimately. My mother and two eldest sisters were child brides. At 13, I narrowly escaped the same fate and embarked on uncharted territory - a high school education.

The majority of these young brides endure spousal abuse in a blanket of darkness, isolated from their birth families. A child bride's instinct to run away is often met with horrific consequences. If a child bride leaves her husband's home, she risks retaliation from both her husband's family and her birth family.

For the bride's family, having a daughter that has run away from her husband's home brings shame onto the entire family. The bride's virtue is automatically called into question, and she is labeled as promiscuous and disobedient. Ultimately, the perceived shame for the birth family will become unbearable, until finally, a male in the family will seek to bring back the family's honor by killing the source of the pain: the young bride.

Forced marriage is different from arranged marriage, which is common in many countries. In an arranged marriage, both bride and groom consent to the marriage. But how can a 13-year-old girl consent to such an obviously adult institution? Child brides lack the maturity to consent, making all child marriages forced marriages. Imagine a young bride, excited to wear a new dress on her wedding night, completely oblivious to the consummation (rape) awaiting her at night's end.

Thirteen-year-old Yemeni child bride Ilham Mahdi al Assi died tragically three days after her wedding in April, after she was tied down, raped repeatedly and left bleeding to death. Another recent example is 12-year-old Fawziya Abdullah Youssef, also a Yemeni child bride, who died after three days of excruciating labor pain because her body wasn't developed enough to give birth.

Continued: Iran, Yemen and the plague of forced marriages: Millions of girls are made to become child brides - NY Daily News

• Banned
Sahih Bukhari Hadeeth...
Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: When I got married, Allah's Apostle [muhammad] said to me, "What type of lady have you married?" I replied, "I have married a matron' He said, "Why, don't you have a liking for the virgins and for fondling them?" Jabir also said: Allah's Apostle said, "Why didn't you marry a young girl so that you might play with her and she with you?'

Forum List

Back