Child Labor

Lord knows, my 14-year-old gets his fanny worked off by helping with his new little brother, in addition to the chores expected of him simply as part of living here. I figure it teaches him responsibility, hard work, appreciation for the money he earns, AND how much he does not wish to produce one of those little poop machines on his own any time soon.

Let's not sound too altruistic.

We ALSO work their asses off because we're old and tired.:redface:

Nope. I actually really enjoy taking care of the new baby, because I'm very conscious of the fact that he's the last I will have, and the last chance at enjoying Mommyhood. However, I have other things I need to get done sometimes, and I think the fact that most of us these days have small families with the children grouped closely together in age tends to rob our kids of the chance to learn parenting skills before they need them for their own kids. And I really am hoping that, as much as Nicky loves his little brother, it will make him put off presenting me with any more grandchildren.

OK, I'm old and tired.

I like having someone else clean up the kitchen, walk the dog, take out trash, etc....and its NOT just because I want them to be responsible, its partly because, I've done it for a helluva long time, 30 freakin years, and I figure its someone else's turn.

Let's not sound too altruistic.

We ALSO work their asses off because we're old and tired.:redface:

Nope. I actually really enjoy taking care of the new baby, because I'm very conscious of the fact that he's the last I will have, and the last chance at enjoying Mommyhood. However, I have other things I need to get done sometimes, and I think the fact that most of us these days have small families with the children grouped closely together in age tends to rob our kids of the chance to learn parenting skills before they need them for their own kids. And I really am hoping that, as much as Nicky loves his little brother, it will make him put off presenting me with any more grandchildren.

OK, I'm old and tired.

I like having someone else clean up the kitchen, walk the dog, take out trash, etc....and its NOT just because I want them to be responsible, its partly because, I've done it for a helluva long time, 30 freakin years, and I figure its someone else's turn.

I'll admit, it's nice to shove the chores I hate off on someone else whenever possible. Doing dishes sucks.

cecilie1200
Lord knows, my 14-year-old gets his fanny worked off by helping with his new little brother, in addition to the chores expected of him simply as part of living here. I figure it teaches him responsibility, hard work, appreciation for the money he earns, AND how much he does not wish to produce one of those little poop machines on his own any time soon.

And the added plus that he will have a head up when he does have a child. I realized the vast advantage when my wife and I had our first. She was the youngest so she had no idea what to do. I am the oldest of 5 so it really wasn’t any different for me. I also learned my work ethic from my father’s construction business. There really is no teacher like good old hard labor. I did not truly understand how far ahead I was until I entered the job market. My generation truly is the generation of take instead of earn

cecilie1200

And the added plus that he will have a head up when he does have a child. I realized the vast advantage when my wife and I had our first. She was the youngest so she had no idea what to do. I am the oldest of 5 so it really wasn’t any different for me. I also learned my work ethic from my father’s construction business. There really is no teacher like good old hard labor. I did not truly understand how far ahead I was until I entered the job market. My generation truly is the generation of take instead of earn

There you go. Nicky knows all the tricks to quieting a fussy baby (although Quinn rarely fusses, per se. If he's making noise, he actually needs something). Someday, he's very likely to be teaching his wife how to take care of their child. He is a lazy little bum when it comes to chores, though.

The reason we have child labor laws is the same reason we have fair wage laws.. To keep employers accountable for the humane treatment of their workers.

I only wish that the big Corporations like Wal Mart, and such, did not buy so much shit from places like China, where there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of sweat shops, where people work for peanuts or are treated like animals.

On the other hand, if American businesses weren't paying those people to work in their factories - usually at wages that are better than the average in their country - what would they be doing? Sure, the pay and treatment are crap by OUR standards, but they don't live here, do they?

In India, people who are paid 200 dollars a month live like KINGS.

However, in China, much of the labor involved is certainly not supervised by these corporations. Not all of those factories are Corporate owned.

Don't minimize the problems with sweat shops and child labor, just because you choose to think that those people are living well over there.

You don't know how much children are getting paid, or even IF they are getting paid. Child labor is illegal in China. Children are commonly abducted and used as indentured servants, forced to sleep under their work tables, amongst garbage, after working 16 hours a day in hazardous for substandard conditions.
It should also be known that the Chinese government is not complacent in enforcing child labor laws. They tax employers, for their employees wages, and have a lot to gain from it.

I guess I wasn't very clear before when I said "people". I should have specifically said "children".

I guess I wasn't very clear before when I said "people". I should have specifically said "children".

Well, just because you legalize child labor, doesn't mean ignoring all the OSHA laws currently being enforced.

I see no reason why "children" are not "people."

Well, just because you legalize child labor, doesn't mean ignoring all the OSHA laws currently being enforced.

I see no reason why "children" are not "people."

I like the US Labor laws.. My response (the one you responded to) was in regards to foreign child labor problems, where child labor is NOT allowed.

I also did not say that children are not people. They are, and I think they should be allowed to work. I think it should be limited, and that it should also be enforced that they be paid fairly, or housed adequately. Their environment should be safe for children. Children do not have an understanding of danger the same way adults do. They should be protected.

I also think that corporations who purchase products from other countries, and those products are made in whole or part by forced or underpaid child laborers, or child laborers who work in unsafe conditions- should be exposed for the absolute assholes that they are.

The biggest reason why there is a lack of jobs here in the US, has nothing to do with illegal aliens working without a visa.. and far more to do with the thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of children who work for meager or no wages, in places like the Philippines and China.

Wal Mart buys almost exclusively MADE IN CHINA merchandise, and yet they love putting their giant check up on the wall that shows that they gave 3,500 dollars back to the community last year. Fucking greedy pigs. Mal Mart makes billions of dollars a year in profits, and all they can give is a few grand back to their communities, for the children's network?? That is GAY.

Back on topic- I do agree that children can benefit very much from having jobs. I just don't think that all children who work are necessarily getting the right kinds of benefits.

Children who are willing to work should be able to work. If they want to be entrepreneurs or if businesses are willing to hire them they should be able to make that decision.

The latest statistics on child labor are in — and they're not encouraging...
eek.gif

New Numbers On Child Labor Are Not Encouraging
November 17, 2017 - The latest statistics on child labor are in — and they're not encouraging.
An estimated 152 million children around the globe are doing work that prevents them from getting an education or that's harmful to their health. That's almost 1 in 10 children worldwide. The figures, which cover 2016, were released this week in a report by the United Nations' International Labour Organization. Here are eight more takeaways:

1. This isn't about a kid doing a few chores on the family farm after school.

It's worth noting that these statistics only cover children who are doing work that is hazardous to their health or that prevents them from attending school full time because of the hours involved or the nature of the job. So it does not include, for instance, 12- to 14-year-olds doing nonhazardous, "light" work for fewer than 14 hours a week.

child_labor-4_custom-997990f99fbbc89aec4da3074219c7eeb1440fa7-s800-c85.jpg

A Bangladeshi child works in a brick-breaking yard in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The broken bricks are mixed in with concrete. Typically working barefoot and with rough utensils, a child worker earns less than $2 a day.​

2. There's been progress on this issue, but it's slowing.

Two years ago the world's leaders pledged to end child labor by the year 2025. But while the share of kids engaged in child labor has dropped substantially over the last decade and a half — from 16 percent in 2000 to 9.6 percent in 2016 — the decline has been slowing in recent years. And at the current rate of decline, by 2025 there will still be 121 million children involved in child labor.

3. A lot of the children who are working are very young.

Almost half of the children engaged in child labor in 2016 — 72.5 million — were between the ages of 5 and 11. And there was almost no decline in their numbers over the last four years.

4. The problem is particularly severe in Africa.

Nearly 1 in 5 children in Africa is engaged in child labor. That is the highest share of any region and way ahead of the next highest, Asia and the Pacific, where about 1 in 14 children does this sort of work. Progress in Africa has also been particularly limited: In fact, over the last four years the share of children working in Africa actually edged up slightly.

5. Boys seem to be more at risk than girls — or are they?

Forum List

Back