Child Labor

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Continued on topic:

OK, the fact that parents emphasize love/care for kids over more practical matters does seem true.

I think you're right, but as a parent of three, I'm not sure what more I can do about slack parenting.

Why don't you tell me?

Hey I just recognize the problem, I do not know the soloution.
Perhaps better discipline?
Teaching children to live within their means?
Teaching them to respect others?
Be proud of their work?
To get a good education?
To not have children while they are still children?
Not to raise your childs child?
I guess that leads up to personal responsibility?

Perhaps on the Planet of The Lizard People, they just lay a clutch of eggs and wander off, but here I think most parents are trying to do all these things.

Maybe Legalized Marijuana will make it easier?:eusa_whistle:

(Actually, that's pretty far down on my list)

Seriously, one of the biggest obsticles I've found, and its relative to all your points, is simply Allowing Kids to Work.

The best way to teach: discipline, living within their means, respect for others, pride in their work, desire to get a good education, and personal responsibility is to allow employers to hire children.

Unhappily, the damn child labor laws don't allow us to do this until kids are 14, and then they are very limited in hours and types of jobs. Even at 16, they can only be employed 20 hrs/week.

I guess I'll continue my little rant in another thread:redface:

I was expecting a thread on teenage pregnancy :lol:

my dad got me in with a place where I could start workiong summers at 14. it really did teach me a lot about how to handle money and respect the hours & time needed to really 'earn' money. (I think I was making 7$/h the first summer, the job was from 630am to 230pm in the new orleans heat all day). All the other kids in my high school had their parents buy them top of the line cars and even though I had the shittiest car in the senior parking lot it still felt good that I bought it with $1000 of my own money.

to samson:

if you (or maybe someone close to your family) has some extra money that they normally spend on the kids, you could tie this into a working system inside the house/family. come up with some chores/tasks and give them a fair rate and make the kids do them to earn the money. you should also have a system where they *must* do a few things each day so they learn a schedule, but then have extra bigger things that they can earn money from if they take their own initiatve to do it.

It is a lot better place to raise children than the city.

not always true. if a child is raised to be strong in terms of goals and boundaries, then they can avoid the filth normally assoicated with a city while still experiecing the culture and diversity associated with it.

It is a lot better place to raise children than the city.

not always true. if a child is raised to be strong in terms of goals and boundaries, then they can avoid the filth normally assoicated with a city while still experiecing the culture and diversity associated with it.

Nothing is always true. I see plenty of poorly raised kids in the country as well.
But there are more opportunities for raising children better in the country.

I believe if it is a family owned business, the kids can start at any age. My students that have jobs are far more mature and productive than most. Work does not have to interfere with school. It can actually be a great way for them to manage their time effectively.

I believe if it is a family owned business, the kids can start at any age. My students that have jobs are far more mature and productive than most. Work does not have to interfere with school. It can actually be a great way for them to manage their time effectively.

learning that in highs chool is really good too b/c most people are forced to do it in college and its easier to learn (and make any mistakes with the money earned) while still living at home and being able to weather any monetary fuckups.

Kids ought to have some things they are responsible for doing around the house. The only person who should get a free ride and can be a freeloader should be 'ole Dad!:lol:

Money vs a higher quality lifestyle? Yes that is a choice many make in life.

Silly Me.

dustbowl.jpg

learning that in highs chool is really good too b/c most people are forced to do it in college and its easier to learn (and make any mistakes with the money earned) while still living at home and being able to weather any monetary fuckups.

I absolutely agree with you both; I've actually thought of beginning a family owned business as this would be one of the "pros."

Of course, the con is that you could go broke, as most new busnisses fail.:confused:

And, as I've dithered about making lists of pros and cons, my eldest kid is almost 16 (in May).......and I'm pushing him toward joining the Reserves in May 2011.:eusa_pray:

Early suburban LA settlers = People who wanted better lives on farms.

then people made them stop raising livestock cause it was smelly...
And raised their taxes so high they could not afford to live there.

I thought Evul Orange Growers hired them without contracts, then cut their wage, then beat them until Henry Fonda wacked one over the head.

You know my point you 'tard!!!!:tongue:

Forum List

Back