child dies after workers refuse to fix his medicaid record

Seems the utopia of 'universal health care' ain't all that, either.

A teenage girl has been left paralysed for life after an appalling blunder by doctors during a routine operation.
Sophie Tyler, 14, was given an overdose of the painkilling epidural drug after surgery to remove gallstones.

Read more: Teenager left paralysed for life after routine hospital operation to remove gallstones went horribly wrong | Mail Online

Oh come on Callie Girl; how many fuck ups could we find in our system of private care? Do I really need to give you a list of all the lawsuits over doctor fuck ups? It doesn't matter what system we have, nothing is ever going to be perfect, and yes, some people are going to die or have the wrong leg amputated. Hell, with things like MRSA, it's a crapshoot just being admitted to a hospital anymore.

Which is exactly my point. The idiot OP claims it is our system, and that's why we need 'universal health care'.... so kids won't die. That is quite simply bullshit. Every system, anywhere in the world, has problems.

blu is a fucking dishonest fool.

I also dont understand how the Woman could not have gone to any of thees slideing scale clinics-

Places for free medical clinics near Denver, CO
Bruner Family Medicine
- Place page
Exempla Healthcare || Denver Colorado - 1960 North ogden street,#460, Denver - (303) 318-2000
Stout Street Clinic
- Place page
Colorado Coalition for the Homeless - National Coalition for the Homeless - 2100 Broadway, Denver - (303) 293-2220
9 Health Fair
- 1 Google review
9Health Fair - 1139 Delaware Street, Denver - (303) 698-4455
Riverside Pregnancy Center
- Place page
Riverside Baptist Church - 2637 West 23rd Avenue, Denver - (720) 855-0505
Rose Medical Center
- 14 Google reviews
Leading Denver Hospital for Bariatric Surgery, Cancer Treatments, Orthopedic and Spine Surgery - Rose Medical Center - 4567 E 9th Ave, Denver, Colorado - (303) 320-2121
The Releaf Center
- 64 Google reviews
The Releaf Center - Medical Marijuana Dispensary - 2000 West 32nd Avenue, Denver - (303) 458-5323
AfterOurs Urgent Care - Downtown Denver (LODO)
- 22 Google reviews
AfterOurs Urgent Care | AfterOurs Urgent Care Health Care Nights, Weekends & Holidays - 1515 Wazee Street, Suite D, Denver - (303) 861-7878

and explained her issue and gotten the drugs wich most doctors have tons of as samples to hand out to people in her situation ? The system did not kill her child so much as generational welfare did. This woman was trained to depend on the system.

So it seems the single parent just sat back until little Zumati died because Wallgreens refused to fill her prescription? The mother needed a prescription for motivation for Gods sake. Figure it out while the child is alive.

Oh please. Have you ever tried to fight the medicaid bureaucratic nightmare?

This kid died because a pharmacy wouldn't fill his frigging albuterol inhaler.

That's just absurd.

But blame the mother. Why not? I am sure it's all her fault. If only she could have been able to afford private insurance, she wouldn't have had these problems!

Are you people FOR REAL! We are talking about a parent who ALLOWED their child to die because it took too much effort to clear up the snafu here. For MONTHS she did NOTHING.

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT except someone who believes she has less responsibility for that child than some faceless bureaucracy? What kind of ASSHOLE, IRRESPONSIBLE citizens are we deliberately breeding by making excuses for this kind of behavior? A show of hands here about who here would just shrug if they experienced a screw up over their own child's insurance coverage and just allow their own child to go without his asthma medication for MONTHS like this?

Did she return to the emergency room or the clinic and tell a doctor about the problem and ask for their help to at least get her kid's medication in the interim -because there isn't a doctor in the country who would have said they couldn't help with making sure a child was not deprived of a medication that could cost that child his life by going without it! How hard was it even do THAT much? Every pharmaceutical company in this country has a program to help people get vital medications who cannot afford it to get that vital medication either for free or at significantly reduced prices-especially that for children. And asthma medication is a critical medication.

Whose job did she think it was to bring this error to the attention of someone who could help or entirely fix it? Clearly some people here think she had no responsibility to make sure this error was fixed in order to save her own child's life!! If you wouldn't have allowed your kid to go without his life-saving medication then where do you get off excusing this woman for being so irresponsible?

1. She could have gone to or called the Medicaid office and insisted on getting the error fixed, making sure they knew a child's life was at risk until it was fixed. She didn't even bother with this minimal step.

2. She could have returned to the prescribing physician and explain the problem and ask for help and she absolutely would have gotten at least temporary help had she done this much as well as information about what else she could do if she couldn't get Medicaid to fix the error -including long term assistance to make sure her kid was never without his inhaler.

3. She could have paid cash for that inhaler while trying to get it fixed -some inhalers cost as little as $20 even without insurance -for anywhere from 100 to 250 doses. But I bet she had plenty of cash to spend on her own personal vices though. But for MONTHS she coughed up NOT ONE DIME for her own child's medication -although the vast majority of parents would have foregone spending money on something else to make sure their kid had his life-saving medication.

Instead she CHOSE not to do ANY of these things and she chose NOT to make any extra effort to fix this screw up -which makes HER negligent. If you know your child needs that medication and you CHOOSE not to make the effort to make sure a bureaucratic screw up isn't fixed so he can get that life-saving medication, then as a parent, you have FAILED your parental responsibility and are negligent! FAR more negligent than a bureaucratic screw-up committed by a faceless government bureaucracy which does not have greater responsibility for her kid than she does! A mistake that would have and could have been corrected had it just been brought to someone's attention!

I'm a parent too and I cannot imagine just sitting on my ass doing nothing about this for MONTHS. But then I take my job as a parent FUCKING SERIOUS, was never indoctrinated to believe others carried greater responsibility for the health and welfare of my kid than I do - and would have done whatever was necessary to make sure MY kid had his asthma medication so he wouldn't suffocate to death the next time he had an asthma attack! IT IS MY DUTY AS A PARENT!

And not so oddly enough in this "gimme-gimme" society and "sticking my hand out for that hand out amounts to a real job" mentality we are creating, she has no problem going through far more trouble to sue someone for HER negligence as a parent -hoping to make big bucks off the death SHE could have prevented in the first place. But clearly felt no real sense of responsibility to do so.

I sympathize with that child that he had such an UNCARING, negligent parent who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing by her own kid. But NONE for her. Those defending this woman for her own negligence must really believe the issue of insurance and insurance screw ups relieves a parent of their primary responsibility to their own kid and shifts the burden to some faceless bureaucracy instead. Even though SHE is the one who actually knew there was a bureaucratic mistake occurring but couldn't be bothered to insure it got fixed in order to save her own kid's life.

SHE still had options available to get around that screw up and chose not to use ANY OF THEM. If I were a juror on this lawsuit she wouldn't get a dime from me.

Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post

but as we know, america has the best health care system in the world!

If only this 9 year old had worked hard in school, got a real job, etc then he wouldnt have been in this position!

This is a traject lesson of why we should never ever allow the government to start running out healthcare.

Everytime something starts getting government money, it becomes unaffordable for the average person to afford, let alone struggling poor people.

Oh, and too the lefty fuck that's slamming the system; it was the government system that killed that child.

If only this 9 year old had worked hard in school, got a real job, etc then he wouldnt have been in this position!

What are you yaking about?

The kid wasn't aborted so it's all good with the right.

Once it leaves the womb..it ain't anyone's responsibility.

You guys want to cut everything that would keep kids alive.

This is just a proof of concept.

you really are pathetically stupid.

The child was the mothers responsibility. She FAILED in her responsibility to provide proper care for her child. The original pharmacy was not her only recourse. She was too fucking stupid or lazy to take proper care of her child, and the child died because of it.

You do realize she's suing the COUNTY right? It was a GOVERNMENT WORKER who screwed the poor kids records up and caused his tragic death. These are the same people you Obamacare people want us to have to deal with. If Obamacare is fully iplemented this will be a drop in the bucket as the flood of untimely deaths begin.

"The suit against Denver seeks monetary damages and relief for her emotional loss and grief. The city fixed Zumante's eligibility status to pay for his funeral, according to court documents.

Three then-employees of Denver County Human Services are named in the lawsuit, in addition to the county. Holly Lumpkin was Zumante's caseworker, and Lumpkin's supervisors, Teresa Long and Annette Williams, also were named."

Read more: Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

These huge corporations can all die a slow and painful death as far as I'm concerned. Let's bring small businesses back in communities (like small pharmacies) who have time to care about their customers.

It's ridiculous. I hope she gets paid bigtime.

You do realize she's suing the COUNTY right? It was a GOVERNMENT WORKER who screwed the poor kids records up and caused his tragic death. These are the same people you Obamacare people want us to have to deal with. If Obamacare is fully iplemented this will be a drop in the bucket as the flood of untimely deaths begin.

"The suit against Denver seeks monetary damages and relief for her emotional loss and grief. The city fixed Zumante's eligibility status to pay for his funeral, according to court documents.

Three then-employees of Denver County Human Services are named in the lawsuit, in addition to the county. Holly Lumpkin was Zumante's caseworker, and Lumpkin's supervisors, Teresa Long and Annette Williams, also were named."

Read more: Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

Those pharmacists could have helped them get the records straight. They just kept saying he wasn't eligable for medicaid. That isn't helpful for a kid that can't breathe. The doc could have helped as well.

These huge corporations can all die a slow and painful death as far as I'm concerned. Let's bring small businesses back in communities (like small pharmacies) who have time to care about their customers.

She should not, and is not entitled to compensation. If anything, she should be charged with neglect and endangerment. A pharmacy is powerless ware medicare is concerned. The woman could have been at a free clinic at anytime before her child died, she could have requested samples from the prescribing doctors office, she had a prescription, she could have requested assistance directly from the drug company. There are a million things she could have done, yet she waited ? She neglected her child to death and should be prosecuted for it.

It's not the corporations fault in any way Sarah. No corporation should be required to do the work of the parent. The mother is most at fault IMO followed by the County. As has been pointed out there is plenty of free medical support in Denver. All paid for by the taxpayers and some of it by corporate donation.

We have the medical CARE..but as has been said over and over, socialized medicine sucks, and that's what you and your buds want, so .... this is what you get.

BTW, it's PROVIDERS who are to blame for this. They don't understand the system (because it's complicated and generated by the schizophrenic insurance companies) and so they get all sorts of garbled information, and that translates into crappy service for clients.

If this mom was a decent and intelligent and self-sufficient person, she would have called her worker, and her worker would have called the pharmacy, or would have provided a client hotline number to the mother, and somebody would have advocated for them with the provider.

The problem is, when you teach people to be dependent, they're screwed when someone they're dependent on makes a mistake.

We have the medical CARE..but as has been said over and over, socialized medicine sucks, and that's what you and your buds want, so .... this is what you get.

BTW, it's PROVIDERS who are to blame for this. They don't understand the system (because it's complicated and generated by the schizophrenic insurance companies) and so they get all sorts of garbled information, and that translates into crappy service for clients.

If this mom was a decent and intelligent and self-sufficient person, she would have called her worker, and her worker would have called the pharmacy, or would have provided a client hotline number to the mother, and somebody would have advocated for them with the provider.

The problem is, when you teach people to be dependent, they're screwed when someone they're dependent on makes a mistake.

If she were a decent Mom, ass's would have been burnt until she had the meds. I have been broke and sick, and I have been treated. Not for free, (even universal health care is not free), but it was done. This death is the result of a system that trained this woman to rely on it.

So it seems the single parent just sat back until little Zumati died because Wallgreens refused to fill her prescription? The mother needed a prescription for motivation for Gods sake. Figure it out while the child is alive.

Oh please. Have you ever tried to fight the medicaid bureaucratic nightmare?

This kid died because a pharmacy wouldn't fill his frigging albuterol inhaler.

That's just absurd.

But blame the mother. Why not? I am sure it's all her fault. If only she could have been able to afford private insurance, she wouldn't have had these problems!

Are you for real? That cheesy ass excuse works for you as justification for allowing her child to go without his life-saving medication? Let me weigh that up for myself: an innocent child's life versus it being a pain in the ass to make the effort to get what is actually a pretty common bureaucratic mix-up fixed before that child was harmed by it. And look where YOU came down on that one. OMG! I hope you never have children. Seriously. Because everyone now knows where YOUR priorities are as well. If its a pain in the ass, then you believe you are absolved of all responsibility!!

Your comment makes me want to vomit at the ease with which you dismiss this child's life in comparison to the pain-in-the-ass it would have been to get this COMMON mistake fixed. So what if its a pain in the ass to deal with? SO WHAT? Who promised anyone that life would be easy and a parent didn't have to bother with their kids as soon as it became a pain-in-the-ass to do the right thing by them!

Understand this: Once she became aware of the error, it was HER responsibility to protect her own child from being harmed by it. PERIOD. Whether it meant parking her ass at the Medicaid office, returning to the prescribing physician or an emergency room or a free clinic and explaining what happened -or even if it meant GASP -paying for it out of her own pocket! She couldn't be bothered with any of it for MONTHS. But her FIRST duty is NOT to her personal comfort -but to her CHILD who is HELPLESS and VULNERABLE unless she does live up to her parental obligations! She chose HER comfort and she chose death for her kid when she did.

How can someone else be more responsible for it when SHE is the one who knew about the existence of this screw up - but didn't bother to bring it to the attention of someone who could actually fix it or at the very least to the attention of someone who could offer even temporary help while waiting for it to be fixed? I can't stand people like you and using this dumb ass excuse that its a pain in the ass to deal with as if it justifies this woman's behavior and her decision to just let her kid go without his medication entirely is beyond revolting. It is clearly the response of someone who places very little value on the life of another person, someone who is also so narcissistic and self-centered they can more readily identify with the narcissism of another over the very life of an innocent person who died because it was just too much of a pain in the ass to do the right thing by her helpless child! Your own comment speaks volumes about the quality of YOUR character too. And its not good.

If Blue Cross/Blue Shield screwed up and refused to cover your kid's asthma medication, are YOU going to just shrug and walk away waiting for your kid to die just because its a pain in the ass to straighten it out? SERIOUSLY? The fact the insurer is not BC/BS but a government entitlement program does NOT shift responsibility for this child to government! If you become aware of an error that has the potential to harm your kid -then it is INCUMBENT upon you to do whatever it takes to get it fixed BEFORE it harms your kid. And tough shit if its a pain the ass to get that done. That's called LIFE -deal with it. Or for God's sake don't have children and allow them to pay the price for having a narcissistic, self-centered parent who just can't be bothered to do the right thing by their child. She had MONTHS to do it before it finally caught up with him. She sure doesn't find it a pain in the ass to go through the long term hassle required to try and enrich herself from his death NOW though, right? Look what she is willing to go through NOW when she thinks SHE might benefit from the hassle instead of her kid! Its her MOTIVE that determines whether she can be bothered -and for her, a motive of financial gain is far more important than saving her own kid's life. How terrible for that child to have been stuck with such a narcissistic, selfish, cold and self-centered bitch for a mother. There are women who would sacrifice their own life for her child's -but this isn't one of them. She wasn't willing to sacrifice her TIME to save his life, much less cough up $20 for his emergency inhaler. An alley cat is a better mother.

If that child couldn't count on his own mother to protect him from a COMMON bureaucratic mix-up by doing whatever it took to get it fixed and by making sure he at least had his emergency inhaler that would save his life during an acute attack - then where did that child fail in his own responsibility? Because surely you also mean that child should have known he could not count on his mother to speak for him, right? You just dismissed her responsibilities for this child's welfare out of hand on the grounds its just too much of a pain in the ass to spend the time needed to get it fixed which relieves her of all responsibility. Which means you must have expected that child to know this and have a back-up plan for himself, right? Should have known he would have to find someone else to speak on his behalf and save his life once his mother refused to do so, right? Shouldn't we be teaching kids starting in preschool they better not expect their own parents to provide for them and protect them and it is their responsibility to figure out how to do it for themselves and have a back-up plan? Maybe carry around a phone number of some government bureaucratic office that will go to computerized menu and voice mail so they can feel all "cared for" and all? Teach them early on that children having sex is "normal" and is of no more importance than a sneeze and likewise having children carries no more responsibility than a sneeze either. Teach them that being handed insurance coverage they don't have to pay for automatically shifts full responsibility for that child from those who brought him into the world -to those who didn't? Because clearly people like YOU believe that to be true!

Medicaid, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, State Farm, Medicare, Prudential -whatever -insurance companies do NOT become parental substitutes just because you buy or get handed insurance coverage! They exist to help with the cost -not to take over responsibility for your own child! If the parent becomes aware of a bureaucratic error like this -whether it happens with Blue Cross/Blue Shield or with Medicaid - it is AUTOMATICALLY their responsibility to make sure it gets fixed before it harms their kid.

Only a fucking immoral, narcissistic, irresponsible juvenile would even attempt to make an excuse for what this woman failed to do. Her child DIED because of it -what could possibly outweigh that? Well if you are one of those lying ass liberals who go on and on pretending how much they "care" -realize what they really mean by it. I'm going through these posts on this topic and it is not surprising in the least to me that the people who are excusing, defending or justifying this woman's behavior -are for the most part -LIBERALS! It is actually quite consistent with modern liberalism to believe far more in doing the EASY thing and making excuses for not doing the RIGHT thing. So naturally their sympathy is with this woman entirely because HEY, getting the mistake fixed might have taken more than ten minutes and been a real pain in the ass. While sitting on her ass for months waiting for her kid to die was certainly MUCH easier and therefore acceptable! Modern liberals have been pushing for years the idea that doing the easy thing rather than doing the right thing is an American "value" -because it is for them. Just one more reason I'd rather lose a limb than be a liberal which would cost me my soul.

MONTHS later her kid dies. Didn't go to the Medicaid office and stay until someone fixed it. She didn't return to the prescribing physician, didn't go to a free clinic, she refused to pay a dime out of pocket for even his emergency inhaler to make sure he wouldn't die during the next attack -and on and on through the many options she actually had. And she never brought this mistake to the attention of those who had the authority to fix and demand it be fixed -she waited until he was dead to bring the error to their attention instead. She CHOSE death for her son because doing the right thing by him was such a big pain in the ass! Which is all the justification a liberal needs -but doesn't work for normal people -people who are also aware of the sick irony that she doesn't find it such a pain in the ass to spend far more time and effort to try and enrich herself from it now.

Last edited:

If only his parents had worked hard in school, got a real job, etc then he wouldn’t have been in this position.

if only there was more than one pharmacy in denver...

Pharmacy hell, There is not one single Dr.'s office in this country that doesn't have samples of medication on hand to hand out. And with the frequency of Asthma in this country there is NO excuse for why that woman did not have the meds she needed. If she wins this case, she and her lawyers will have successfully committed legal extortion

Any er would have treated him.

Mom is a lackwit. Possibly a true lackwit, in that she's incapable of making intelligent decisions or judgement calls, in which case it's very sad. But again, not the fault of the government worker or the pharmacy.

If she were a decent Mom, ass's would have been burnt until she had the meds. I have been broke and sick, and I have been treated. Not for free, (even universal health care is not free), but it was done. This death is the result of a system that trained this woman to rely on it.

If she were a decent Mom, she would have paid full price for the inhaler, whether she went out of pocket or asked her family, friends or church for a loan, then fought to get a refund. Anything to keep her child alive.

Even if it took collecting pop cans for the aluminum, her child's life should have come first.

the whole myth that the child died because he was denied treatment is false. She could have taken him anywhere and gotten treatment. She didn't because she's either brain dead, or drugged, and attorneys latched onto it.

If she were a decent Mom, she would have paid full price for the inhaler, whether she went out of pocket or asked her family, friends or church for a loan, then fought to get a refund. Anything to keep her child alive.

Even if it took collecting pop cans for the aluminum, her child's life should have come first.

Darn tooting.

Forum List

Back