Child abuse investigators 'bullied' into falsifying reports

dread

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A parental rights advocacy group in Kansas was "floored" when the state child welfare chief admitted his social workers were being "bullied" into falsifying the reports that lead to children being taken out of their homes and placed in foster care.

In a meeting with Citizens for Change, Don Jordan, secretary of the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, had his comments recorded on tape: "In Sedgwick County oftentimes we end up writing things because it's what our social workers get bullied by the District Attorney's Office into writing."

Later in the meeting Jordan said, "I am working on our staff that we do our assessments properly and we not get bullied into writing things we don't believe. But then the reality comes down to, you send a 25-year-old social worker into a room with a 15-year county A.D.A. (assistant district attorney) who is willing to yell at them, cuss at them, scream at them and threaten them."

The reports Jordan was referring to, called affidavits, are official permanent records of a child abuse investigation, containing a social worker's summary of circumstances and interviews with parents, children and others who may have evidence of abuse.

Judges rely on the affidavits to determine the level of a child's risk and the potential necessity for removal into temporary custody or foster care.

Marlene Jones, a Wichita resident who contends her family lost custody of her grandson based on false information in an affidavit, was at the meeting where Jordan spoke. "I was so floored at what he said," she told The Wichita Eagle, "that this man acknowledged… he was aware of what was going on."

Child abuse investigators 'bullied' into falsifying reports

Yuppers. I had a conversation with a co-worker, who is also my best friend (almost 40 years now) who works in child welfare. She was new to the position, and was we were discussing a case (we can do so without violating confidentiality as we're both working for CAF and discussing work), and her glee at taking kids from a family. Glee is a little strong, but she obviously believed that because the dad was a "bad guy" and the mom continued to see him, they didn't deserve to see their kids.

There was no child abuse. There was no neglect. He was just a criminal (a stick-up guy, I think).

I said something like, "Yeah, maybe he's a criminal...but since when is that all it takes to deny a parent access?" and she said, "He's a bad guy."

So what? I know lots of "bad guys" who don't have the state yanking their kids from them. THere was NO CHILD ABUSE in this case.

The workers have run amok. Typical liberal institution...either absolutely nuts one way or nuts the other. They can never just use common sense and work somewhere from the middle.

Pretty scary if you ask me...It isnt enough that parents have to worry about their child or children making it to adulthood anymore...Now...Along with all the other worries they get to be paranoid about whether someone doesnt like them they can have their children taken away from them.:omg:

Nobody's ever happy with this issue. Too much enforcement, and we're mad about government taking kids away. Too little enforcement, and we're mad about government neglecting children. The truth is that there are bad and abusive parents out there, and kids suffer for that. I'd support a policy that intervened only in extreme cases of abuse or neglect.

Nobody's ever happy with this issue. Too much enforcement, and we're mad about government taking kids away. Too little enforcement, and we're mad about government neglecting children. The truth is that there are bad and abusive parents out there, and kids suffer for that. I'd support a policy that intervened only in extreme cases of abuse or neglect.

Like removing 450 kids because 4 or 5 might be in danger?

Forum List

Back