Chicago's Black Flight and White Growth - Demographic Change

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
We all hear the stories about Chicago's decreasing population and yes Chicago has many issues like the budget, taxes, crime, murder, pension funds and schools.

But there is something getting missed. Blacks, who only 2 decades ago made up over 50% of the population are decreasing and White and Asian populations are booming. Latino population is increasing but to a tiny rate.

Crain's Chicago Business

Just 2 decades ago Chicago had less than 20% white population and now it has increased to 35% (up 3% from last year). While the black population is now less than the white population and shrieked 17% from last year.

Why is this? Liberals use bad words like gentrification. But the truth is business have flocked to this neighborhoods and developers have build up the neighborhoods. Both have made them cleaner, nicer and safer. With this comes a higher demand to live in these areas and that brings higher prices. Take Lakeview for example. 2 decades ago it was gangland area. No one choose to live there and no business opened there for good reason. Now it is arguably the best place to live and fairly safe with a really good high school. The House now cost north of $1 mil, but the demand to move there is still high. The black and Hispanic population that was one high is now tiny. The Blacks that stayed are the educated and civilized 2 parent families. The Latinos are Americanized and educated with their kids only knowing English.

It has happened all over the Northside: Lakeview, Oldtown, Near North side, River North, South Loop, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Edge water, Rogers Park, etc. The north has been transformed.

The Blacks have been further segregated to the South and the Latinos to the West.
However it is starting to move South (Pilsen, South Loop, Bronzeville, South Derring, Kenwood, Douglas, Avalon Park, Hyde Park South Shore, even into Lawndale) and west to Garfield Park ($1 mil homes now surround the United center and push up to Garfield Park), Humbolt Park (there are nearly as many whites hanging out in Humbolt Park as Latinos), near west side, West town, Logan Square etc.

A Chicago realtor buddy of mine said at a conference he went to the growth of the white population will continue over the next decade and will go over 50% as developed push South and West and the Asian upper middle class population will see a growth the Latino population saw during the 80s and 90s. They didn't mention black or Latino drop off.

By 2030 I see an entirely different Chicago. 50% white, 15% Asian, 25% Hispanic and 10% Black. The economics will be better, the city will be much safer (gentrify South Chicago and it will) and the schools will be 100 fold better.

Chicago schools get a bad rep like all inner city schools. But the prime reason for the failure is the kids and parents. Yes the black kids and the single parent black households with drugs, gangs and crime running rampant.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

We all hear the stories about Chicago's decreasing population and yes Chicago has many issues like the budget, taxes, crime, murder, pension funds and schools.

But there is something getting missed. Blacks, who only 2 decades ago made up over 50% of the population are decreasing and White and Asian populations are booming. Latino population is increasing but to a tiny rate.

Crain's Chicago Business

Just 2 decades ago Chicago had less than 20% white population and now it has increased to 35% (up 3% from last year). While the black population is now less than the white population and shrieked 17% from last year.

Why is this? Liberals use bad words like gentrification. But the truth is business have flocked to this neighborhoods and developers have build up the neighborhoods. Both have made them cleaner, nicer and safer. With this comes a higher demand to live in these areas and that brings higher prices. Take Lakeview for example. 2 decades ago it was gangland area. No one choose to live there and no business opened there for good reason. Now it is arguably the best place to live and fairly safe with a really good high school. The House now cost north of $1 mil, but the demand to move there is still high. The black and Hispanic population that was one high is now tiny. The Blacks that stayed are the educated and civilized 2 parent families. The Latinos are Americanized and educated with their kids only knowing English.

It has happened all over the Northside: Lakeview, Oldtown, Near North side, River North, South Loop, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Edge water, Rogers Park, etc. The north has been transformed.

The Blacks have been further segregated to the South and the Latinos to the West.
However it is starting to move South (Pilsen, South Loop, Bronzeville, South Derring, Kenwood, Douglas, Avalon Park, Hyde Park South Shore, even into Lawndale) and west to Garfield Park ($1 mil homes now surround the United center and push up to Garfield Park), Humbolt Park (there are nearly as many whites hanging out in Humbolt Park as Latinos), near west side, West town, Logan Square etc.

A Chicago realtor buddy of mine said at a conference he went to the growth of the white population will continue over the next decade and will go over 50% as developed push South and West and the Asian upper middle class population will see a growth the Latino population saw during the 80s and 90s. They didn't mention black or Latino drop off.

By 2030 I see an entirely different Chicago. 50% white, 15% Asian, 25% Hispanic and 10% Black. The economics will be better, the city will be much safer (gentrify South Chicago and it will) and the schools will be 100 fold better.

Chicago schools get a bad rep like all inner city schools. But the prime reason for the failure is the kids and parents. Yes the black kids and the single parent black households with drugs, gangs and crime running rampant.

/---- Libs say living in a nice, clean and safe neighborhood is racists.

Crain's Chicago Business

I was in Chicago a few summers ago, and I was literally surrounded by whiteness for most of the time.

So many stupid yuppies that I lost count.

Crain's Chicago Business

I was in Chicago a few summers ago, and I was literally surrounded by whiteness for most of the time.

There's 2 Chicago's one which is the Northside which is like Manhattan, and one which is the Southside which is like Detroit.

Crain's Chicago Business

No one says this. Stfu And turn off what shit news source you follow.

Crain's Chicago Business

There's 2 Chicago's one which is the Northside which is like Manhattan, and one which is the Southside which is like Detroit.
I remember driving through a much different Chicago every year with my family to see my grandmother's siblings decades ago.

It was all black until we got to the suburbs.

Crain's Chicago Business

No one says this. Stfu And turn off what shit news source you follow.
/---- Ask Mommy to teach you how to Google:
"Clean, Safe and High-Value" Neighborhoods Are Nice Ways of Saying ...
www.alternet.org/.../%22clean%2C_safe_and_high-value%22_neighborhoods_are_ni...
Oct 16, 2009 - "Clean, Safe and High-Value" Neighborhoods Are Nice Ways of Saying "White" Without Bringing ... The homogeneity of where they live is “irrelevant” or “coincidental,” they say. ... It's common to have racism without “racists.”

Crain's Chicago Business

They call it gentrification, because people do get displace. However many make out like bandit. In the 80s you could have purchased a place in Lakeview for $15k an guess what many blacks did. Today they could sell the property in any condition for $700-$1mil

Liberals complain businesses won't open, but when try do and developer develop the land demand goes up

"Taking back Chicago, one gentrification development at a time."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smart inner-city Blacks have been bailing-out for years; the pace has merely picked up.

The slow ones who lack the wherewithal or courage to leave the Democratic inner-city plantation and make their own way in the broader world, continue to rot in there.

Trouble is, there are so many of the latter type, that the present-day wave of Black Flight represents nothing more than a modest dent in the whole.

As far as many Northerners are concerned, the North LOST the Civil War; it just took the North a century to figure it out, after the so-called Great Migration.

Perhaps a Reverse Great Migration - at least in part - would help to relieve the pressure on Northern cities, and weaken the Democratic strangle-hold there.

Last edited:

Crain's Chicago Business

Yes and the white population is only going up. Whites used live in the city while in their 20s and eventually move the suburbs when they had kids. Now those same whites are choosing to stay in the city even after they have kids

The trend is not slowing down. There is development all over the city. Rahm is many thing but he is getting IL corps to relocate to the city like McDonald's.

It is starting to move South and West. This is primarily where the black (south and Garfield Park) and Latino (west) population is.

If I was a betting man. Garfield Park is the next big gentrification project. It is spitting distance from the loop, Randolph, the UC, Fulton market and quick uber to Midway. They have already built up the area bordering it. It I only matter of time.

Housing Prices Soar in Humboldt Park, Garfield Park

Crain's Chicago Business

Trueish! The west is like the barrio. However it is moving South: Kenwood, Hyde Park, South Shore, Pilsen, Avalon Park, South Loop, Douglass, Garfield Park and even parts of Lawndale. It will continue South. Only a decade ago some of the worst parts in the city were on the Northside.

Crain's Chicago Business

That is overly optimistic, but a good read. It is highly unlikely any of that will take place, until Chicago and Illinois get their fiscal house in order. Not to many people with money are dumb enough to move in, because they know it is THEIR money that will have to bail out the failures of the past. With no change in policy, it is a never ending cycle.

Now I contend that anyone who can afford a million on up house, can afford 2 houses. And just like John (the far leftist) Kerry did with his yacht, so to will the people with money in Chicago do..........like own a place in Florida, or Montana, where taxes are loooooooow or non-existant, and claim residency there. Hell, I know people who are NOT millionaires who do this now, lol.

I wish ALL the big cities the very best, and hope for their revival, but to actually believe people are going to put their wealth up for over taxation, when throughout their whole lives they have earnestly avoided it, is just wishful thinking as far as I am concerned.

Doubt me? Then ask John and Theresa Kerry what was up with that yacht, lol. And they are FAR LEFTISTS! As far as business, I suppose I can see that because someone can over charge to service the rich, and the rich will probably pay the freight so they can go play on the shores instead of spending the day to go to a cheaper venue. But, it will only be goods for SALE, not manufacturing..............which is redundant, considering almost ALL manufacturing that did NOT get a tax break from the city or state, has fled for greener pastures, but then rich people don't work in factories, now do they-)

Crain's Chicago Business

I remember driving through a much different Chicago every year with my family to see my grandmother's siblings decades ago.

It was all black until we got to the suburbs.

Hence decades. Still like that in the worst parts of the south side

Crain's Chicago Business

That is overly optimistic, but a good read. It is highly unlikely any of that will take place, until Chicago and Illinois get their fiscal house in order. Not to many people with money are dumb enough to move in, because they know it is THEIR money that will have to bail out the failures of the past. With no change in policy, it is a never ending cycle.

Now I contend that anyone who can afford a million on up house, can afford 2 houses. And just like John (the far leftist) Kerry did with his yacht, so to will the people with money in Chicago do..........like own a place in Florida, or Montana, where taxes are loooooooow or non-existant, and claim residency there. Hell, I know people who are NOT millionaires who do this now, lol.

I wish ALL the big cities the very best, and hope for their revival, but to actually believe people are going to put their wealth up for over taxation, when throughout their whole lives they have earnestly avoided it, is just wishful thinking as far as I am concerned.

Doubt me? Then ask John and Theresa Kerry what was up with that yacht, lol. And they are FAR LEFTISTS! As far as business, I suppose I can see that because someone can over charge to service the rich, and the rich will probably pay the freight so they can go play on the shores instead of spending the day to go to a cheaper venue. But, it will only be goods for SALE, not manufacturing..............which is redundant, considering almost ALL manufacturing that did NOT get a tax break from the city or state, has fled for greener pastures, but then rich people don't work in factories, now do they-)

First off this is what IS happening not what may happen. The Northside of Chicago has been full gentrified (which I use as a good word) and it has shown no slowing down. It is moving West and South.

The South Loop used to be the ghetto now you have million dollar condos. I remember going to Humbolt Park to get cheap weed in high school and it was gangland territory. Now it's a rapidly growing white neighborhood. Garfield Park same.

Not optimistic my friend this is what is happening

Crain's Chicago Business

First off this is what IS happening not what may happen. The Northside of Chicago has been full gentrified (which I use as a good word) and it has shown no slowing down. It is moving West and South.

The South Loop used to be the ghetto now you have million dollar condos. I remember going to Humbolt Park to get cheap weed in high school and it was gangland territory. Now it's a rapidly growing white neighborhood. Garfield Park same.

Well then, guess both our scenarios are correct, because with all that money there, and as high as the taxes are, there is no way in hell Chicago could be so far in the red! And still, it is kinda funny, as I have friends in Hegwisch who still live there who can't dump their house. Should I recommend they keep them for the great windfall coming?

Yep, sounds rosy red to me, to bad they can't get the shootings down. Must be on the other side of town I am sure. Of course, there just was a big shooting at the beach caused by gangs. See, I am close enough to watch their news-) Still doesn't seem so rosy to me, but hey..............Wrigleyville is wonderful, if you want to pay 5 bucks for a beer, and 10,000 bucks for property taxes. Yep, absolute nirvana!

Crain's Chicago Business

Well then, guess both our scenarios are correct, because with all that money there, and as high as the taxes are, there is no way in hell Chicago could be so far in the red! And still, it is kinda funny, as I have friends in Hegwisch who still live there who can't dump their house. Should I recommend they keep them for the great windfall coming?

Yep, sounds rosy red to me, to bad they can't get the shootings down. Must be on the other side of town I am sure. Of course, there just was a big shooting at the beach caused by gangs. See, I am close enough to watch their news-) Still doesn't seem so rosy to me, but hey..............Wrigleyville is wonderful, if you want to pay 5 bucks for a beer, and 10,000 bucks for property taxes. Yep, absolute nirvana!

Hegwisch is at the further peak of the Southside it will be a while for that neighborhood to change. If they lived in Lawndale then maybe.

Forum List

Back