Chicago To Open All Black Male School

dmp said:
Looks like we've got a new 'resident racist'.

Great. :( :-/
I wasn't trying to be racist by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ivy Leagues and other private schools are mostly white aren't they? Couldn't they be considered the equivalents to the black colleges and universities?

Hagbard Celine said:
I wasn't trying to be racist by any means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ivy Leagues and other private schools are mostly white aren't they? Couldn't they be considered the equivalents to the black colleges and universities?

"Ivy League" school don't announce themselves as "all-white" institutions.

I bet if you did a little research (I would but I'm leaving soon), you would see that, because of affirmative action, they admit quite a few minorities - more than this "all-black" highschool would agree to admit whites.

GotZoom said:
More than this "all-black" highschool would agree to admit whites.

They do not have a choice about admitting whites. If the whites meet the academic standards for admission then the school must admitt them.

deaddude said:
They do not have a choice about admitting whites. If the whites meet the academic standards for admission then the school must admitt them.

They will find a way to admit more blacks.

Hell, they are already calling it an "All-Black" High School.

Because they believe that for some reason the school will be predominantly black. Most likly that reason is the location of the school. Calling it an all black school is admittedly a bad choice of words, though I doubt it will be "all-black" for long.

deaddude said:
Because they believe that for some reason the school will be predominantly black. Most likly that reason is the location of the school. Calling it an all black school is admittedly a bad choice of words, though I doubt it will be "all-black" for long.

I would bet this was long-planned, and the use of "All-black" as the school descriptor was quite intentional.

Moreover, it seems to me that when it's a liberal/minority cause or statement, it's shrugged off by Dems as just a "bad choice of words", or "well-intentioned", but when it is a white or Republican cause or statement, it's "racist" and someone gets fired for it.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Screw the 'all black' part. Studies have shown that segregation by sex, not race, results in higher academic achievement for girls, not boys. If they were to open a one sex school, it shouldn't be for boys and shouldn't be based on race.

Wisconsin opened an all girls high school, test standards were phenonemal, yet it was judged to be discriminatory for a public school.

I think that this is an idea who's time has come, again. For both sexes.

dmp said:
Looks like we've got a new 'resident racist'.

Good. I can't carry the load by myself!

Seriously --- I'm not going to dismiss out of hand the desire by blacks to be among their own. Segregation has virtues. It can boost confidence. It can boost pride. It can boost happiness.

So why not extend the concept? And why, for God's sake, aren't whites entitled to the same consideration? We all know what would happen if a whites-only school were proposed. The proposers would go to jail, do not pass go.

It's not just segregated schools we need, it's segregated societies. This need not involve massive coercion, violence or race war. If we just let people go where they will, segregation is the natural result. Segregation isn't forced by governments, contrary to liberal belief --- it's DESEGREGATION that requires government force. Races are like oil and water. They separate naturally. "Diversity" requires constant artificial outside agitation.

GotZoom said:
Ummm....I see their reasoning but....ummm.....

Never mind. I won't say the obvious.

-------

CHICAGO, Nov. 6 (UPI) -- The Chicago school district plans to open an all-boys high school primarily for black teenagers.

The Urban Prep Charter Academy for Young Men must be approved by the Board of Education this month, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Mayor Richard Daley plans to open 100 schools in the city in the next five years. Plans for the next two years include a virtual elementary school, a high school operated by the University of Chicago and a high school stressing business entrepreneurship.

Urban Prep would be located inside Englewood High School. Backers say it is aimed at a group that has the lowest graduation rate of any in the city.

"We're going to take our students where they are and help them gain admission to college and succeed once they are there," said Tim King, the founder of Urban Prep. "Clearly there is a high need for figuring out how to serve these kids academically."

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051106-115817-2358r

lay some odds they take state!!!!

CHICAGO, Nov. 6 (UPI) -- The Chicago school district plans to open an all-boys high school primarily for black teenagers.

The Urban Prep Charter Academy for Young Men must be approved by the Board of Education this month, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Mayor Richard Daley plans to open 100 schools in the city in the next five years. Plans for the next two years include a virtual elementary school, a high school operated by the University of Chicago and a high school stressing business entrepreneurship.

Urban Prep would be located inside Englewood High School. Backers say it is aimed at a group that has the lowest graduation rate of any in the city.

"We're going to take our students where they are and help them gain admission to college and succeed once they are there," said Tim King, the founder of Urban Prep. "Clearly there is a high need for figuring out how to serve these kids academically."

Where does it say "all black." Basicly the city is looking at a poorly performing demographic and attepting to boost its performance. Will this school do that? Probably not. Is it illegal from a race discrimination point of view? Not yet they are targeting a specific demographic, but their is no evidence for discrimination.

Forum List

Back