Chicago Teachers Union Turns Down 2% INCREASE!!! WTF!!!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Why do WORKING Americans hate the public sector teachers unions? Why are Americans losing sympathy for teachers in general. This is a clear cut case WHY! First, Chicago has one of the SHORTEST school days of any city in America! Second, it would be one story if the Chicago schools ranked high, but they are ranked at the bottom in nearly every category nationwide. They're a FAILURE! Third, these teachers make it like they are being asked to work 50 hours a week! GIVE ME A F'ING break! What 8-3, with weekend, EVERY HOLIDAY, winter, spring and SUMMER break off! So asking them to work from 8-4:30! OMG what facist! Oh they grade papers and take work home! Word to the LAZY, I take home work regularly and so do much private sector professionals.

They make average $52K, get free healthcare, a highway robbery pension plan, yearly raises, communist style tenure, SUMMERS OFF!!! Teaching is not a bad gig nowadays!

But now these self-righteous S.O.B's can't accept a 2% increase for working a FULL DAY! PLEASE, they should be forced to work a full day and not no increase. If they complain, fire them!

Teachers union rejects CPS' 2 percent raise offer - chicagotribune.com
Teachers union says no to 2 percent raise for longer days
CPS floated compromise after rescinding 4 percent increase

August 26, 2011
The Chicago Teachers Union has formally rejected a 2 percent pay raise for elementary school teachers in exchange for working longer school days, putting pressure on Chicago Public Schools to improve the offer or risk a standoff.

"We fully support a better, smarter school day for our children, but teachers are now being asked to work 29 percent longer for only a 2 percent pay increase," union President Karen Lewis said. "To that we say, 'Thanks but no thanks.'"

CPS chief Jean-Claude Brizard floated the idea of 2 percent raises for elementary school teachers as a compromise after weeks of contentious rhetoric over longer school days, which Brizard and Mayor Rahm Emanuel support.

"My hope is (Lewis) counters and isn't just turning this down," he said.

On Wednesday, CPS' governing board approved a $5.9 billion budget for next school year that included rescinding a 4 percent pay raise for teachers agreed to in the current contract.

Over the last several weeks, talk has moved beyond just teacher pay as district officials have pushed a plan to lengthen the school day by 90 minutes and the school year by two weeks. They initially sought to do this without a pay raise for teachers, but Brizard abruptly offered the 2 percent increase earlier in the week in an attempt to win teachers over.

Lewis said the union has been receiving emails and calls and visiting with teachers on school visits to gauge the mood of its members. She said teachers are already working hours — grading papers, creating lesson plans, and conferring with parents or students — that they are not compensated for.

Chicago's school day ranks among the shortest in the country, and Emanuel made lengthening it a central part of his campaign for mayor. At the time CPS received a letter from the union rejecting the proposal, Brizard was meeting with nearly 200 church leaders at a rally in support of a longer school day.

But I heard a teacher had to buy some supplies for their classroom one time. Parents make their kids sleep outside in a tent, send them to school naked and force them to eat gruel. Teachers can hardly be expected to educate kids. That's the parents job.

I would turn down a raise too, what with these draconian rules they want enforced.

If your boss told you you had to work 29% more hours for the same pay...

Let me give you and example of how it works in the private sector!

In my company (which is in the credit industry has was having troubles): We had 30 AE, 5 managers (6 AEs per team). When the market turned they had RIF (reduction in force). 5 AE jobs were elimiated, 2 managers were eliminated. The accounts held by the 5 AEs were distributed to the team and now the managers picked up 4 more AEs each to manage. We were all give more work and no raise. On top of that, they forced us to take one furlough each month (unpaid day off). Was anyone happy, nope, but were they glad to keep their jobs. Yep.

In marketing departments it happens all the time. They take 3 associates. Tell two of them your fired and the 1 left must do his/her work plus the other twos work.

In the private sector you get more work and hours for the same plan regularly.

IL has a MAJOR budge deficit. Teachers are getting laid off left and right. The students are falling behind the rest of the country and they are told to pick up the slack and not even do it for free, rather do it for a raise!

Cry me a river on have to work frok 8:00 - 4:30!!!

I think what Emmanuel has done so far in Chicago has been nothing short of amazing. I can't say I expected it either. He said this was the job he always wanted, I'm beginning to believe him. He's done a lot already to reduce waste and make life for the slackers very difficult. He's cutting spending, severely.

I think people are missing the reason that the teachers rejected the time increase:

...On Wednesday, CPS' governing board approved a $5.9 billion budget for next school year that included rescinding a 4 percent pay raise for teachers agreed to in the current contract. ...

What he was proposing was a longer day for only a 2% reduction in the anticipated salary increase. See what I mean? He's not the same sort of executive as his buddy in D.C.

My guess is he will get his way, sooner than later.

But I heard a teacher had to buy some supplies for their classroom one time. Parents make their kids sleep outside in a tent, send them to school naked and force them to eat gruel. Teachers can hardly be expected to educate kids. That's the parents job.

I would turn down a raise too, what with these draconian rules they want enforced.

FYI for everyone. (Not picking on the poster here)
Teachers who purchase classroom materials can write it off on their income tax in two ways.
1) The 'credit' they get from the IRS up to $250.00 (last I knew) and
2) What they don't write off in #1 they can write off as a donation to the school.

FYI for everyone. (Not picking on the poster here)
Teachers who purchase classroom materials can write it off on their income tax in two ways.
1) The 'credit' they get from the IRS up to $250.00 (last I knew) and
2) What they don't write off in #1 they can write off as a donation to the school.

I was being facetious.

Teachers who pay out of pocket with their own money for school supplies are fucktards and should be fired immediately.

Last edited:
I will also give him credit. The guy has been cutting spending like a Tea Party conservative. He has shot down proposals for new taxations. He has been taking on the Unions! Funny how a Democrat can get away with this, but a Republicans gets labeled as Hitler!

I think what Emmanuel has done so far in Chicago has been nothing short of amazing. I can't say I expected it either. He said this was the job he always wanted, I'm beginning to believe him. He's done a lot already to reduce waste and make life for the slackers very difficult. He's cutting spending, severely.

I think people are missing the reason that the teachers rejected the time increase:

...On Wednesday, CPS' governing board approved a $5.9 billion budget for next school year that included rescinding a 4 percent pay raise for teachers agreed to in the current contract. ...

What he was proposing was a longer day for only a 2% reduction in the anticipated salary increase. See what I mean? He's not the same sort of executive as his buddy in D.C.

My guess is he will get his way, sooner than later.

I think the few bad teachers are giving most of the teachers a bad rap. But all these people who all of the sudden have so much anger and hatred for teachers is disconcerting. I know Republicans want to justify the elimination of public education, and I truly think all this campaign to demonize teachers is just being done to soften the objective up before the invasion.

The problem is see....is expecting teachers to put up with all those cell phone toting self entitled spoiled brats for Wal Mart wages. Teaching is a tough job, and if you pay like Wal Mart, you're going to get the job done cheap....but why not just work at Wal Mart?....at least those customers are a lot more civilized than your kids.

At this rate....only the wealthy will be able to afford to educate thier children, and the value of American labor on a global scale will continue to decrease.

That's nothing.
What was it - 2 years ago they were given a choice between no pay raise and keeping a horde of teaching jobs...or a 5% raise and all of the teaching jobs eliminated.
They chose to eliminate the jobs, and that is what happened.

I am contracted for 20 hours a week. Last week, I put in 32, with 12 unpaid. I don't even have a regular classroom, but I do dropout recovery/expelled/at-risk/last chance Charlie kiddos. I will make approx $15,000 for the school year.

Most teachers I know are like this. We really do care. We really do try. We can't fix other people's mistakes -- I can't teach an illiterate 17 year old how to read in a year, I can't fix the fucked up home situations, I can't give immigrants citizenship, I can't "parent' the children, though lord knows I try-- and the more you assault us for things out of our control, the less chance you'll have of fixing everything that's broken, because we're quitting at rapid rates.

PS If any of you ungrateful conservative fucks want to contribute to my college loan fund, I owe $40,000 (for a probably useless graduate education in urban teaching).

Why do WORKING Americans hate the public sector teachers unions? Why are Americans losing sympathy for teachers in general. This is a clear cut case WHY! First, Chicago has one of the SHORTEST school days of any city in America! Second, it would be one story if the Chicago schools ranked high, but they are ranked at the bottom in nearly every category nationwide. They're a FAILURE! Third, these teachers make it like they are being asked to work 50 hours a week! GIVE ME A F'ING break! What 8-3, with weekend, EVERY HOLIDAY, winter, spring and SUMMER break off! So asking them to work from 8-4:30! OMG what facist! Oh they grade papers and take work home! Word to the LAZY, I take home work regularly and so do much private sector professionals.

They make average $52K, get free healthcare, a highway robbery pension plan, yearly raises, communist style tenure, SUMMERS OFF!!! Teaching is not a bad gig nowadays!

But now these self-righteous S.O.B's can't accept a 2% increase for working a FULL DAY! PLEASE, they should be forced to work a full day and not no increase. If they complain, fire them!

Teachers union rejects CPS' 2 percent raise offer - chicagotribune.com
Teachers union says no to 2 percent raise for longer days
CPS floated compromise after rescinding 4 percent increase

August 26, 2011
The Chicago Teachers Union has formally rejected a 2 percent pay raise for elementary school teachers in exchange for working longer school days, putting pressure on Chicago Public Schools to improve the offer or risk a standoff.

"We fully support a better, smarter school day for our children, but teachers are now being asked to work 29 percent longer for only a 2 percent pay increase," union President Karen Lewis said. "To that we say, 'Thanks but no thanks.'"

CPS chief Jean-Claude Brizard floated the idea of 2 percent raises for elementary school teachers as a compromise after weeks of contentious rhetoric over longer school days, which Brizard and Mayor Rahm Emanuel support.

"My hope is (Lewis) counters and isn't just turning this down," he said.

On Wednesday, CPS' governing board approved a $5.9 billion budget for next school year that included rescinding a 4 percent pay raise for teachers agreed to in the current contract.

Over the last several weeks, talk has moved beyond just teacher pay as district officials have pushed a plan to lengthen the school day by 90 minutes and the school year by two weeks. They initially sought to do this without a pay raise for teachers, but Brizard abruptly offered the 2 percent increase earlier in the week in an attempt to win teachers over.

Lewis said the union has been receiving emails and calls and visiting with teachers on school visits to gauge the mood of its members. She said teachers are already working hours — grading papers, creating lesson plans, and conferring with parents or students — that they are not compensated for.

Chicago's school day ranks among the shortest in the country, and Emanuel made lengthening it a central part of his campaign for mayor. At the time CPS received a letter from the union rejecting the proposal, Brizard was meeting with nearly 200 church leaders at a rally in support of a longer school day.

If being a teacher is such a great things why don't you shut the fuck up and go become one?

Oh shit, how could they turn that one down? 29% more work for 2% more pay - they are commies for passing that one up! Jeez are you stupid man? 2% barely keeps up with inflation.
What 8-3, with weekend, EVERY HOLIDAY, winter, spring and SUMMER break off!
Sounds like such a great deal! You should go do it! I'm sure you won't bring any work home with you. What a fucking moron.

Last edited:
I am contracted for 20 hours a week. Last week, I put in 32, with 12 unpaid. I don't even have a regular classroom, but I do dropout recovery/expelled/at-risk/last chance Charlie kiddos. I will make approx $15,000 for the school year.

Most teachers I know are like this. We really do care. We really do try. We can't fix other people's mistakes -- I can't teach an illiterate 17 year old how to read in a year, I can't fix the fucked up home situations, I can't give immigrants citizenship, I can't "parent' the children, though lord knows I try-- and the more you assault us for things out of our control, the less chance you'll have of fixing everything that's broken, because we're quitting at rapid rates.

PS If any of you ungrateful conservative fucks want to contribute to my college loan fund, I owe $40,000 (for a probably useless graduate education in urban teaching).

I am far froming being against teachers! I think many teachers, especially the ambigious young ones, are saints. I remember a few good teachers that really helped me. HOWEVER, as Mayor Rabo just said, "Schools are for the children not the adult!"

Teacher unions are not interested in the poor state of the US school systems. They don't give too shits that a poor products is being pelted on the US tax payor. They just want to bleed the beast dry.

Merit pay and no tenure keeps teachers striving for their best. Individual retirement plans is the system that schools MUST move towards. There is no god damn reason the private sector should be forced to go that direction, but the public sector doesn't! There is no reason that 60% of the property taxes dollars collected goes to RETIRED teachers. That 60% should go to hiring more teachers and DIRECTLY to the betterment of the schools!

But you are right it starts with the parents. My oldest in 5 and going into kindergarden. My wife worked hard with him. He can read (Dr. Seus level books) and count to 100 and do some back adding and subtracting. My wife did at least an hour of academics with him (and my other 2) each night over the summer. It starts with the parents first!

If your boss told you you had to work 29% more hours for the same pay...

A lot of people would jump at that if the alternative was unemployment.

Heck, a lot of people are doing that now!

No they aren't. People are becoming unemployed because there isn't ENOUGH work for them, they aren't being asked to work 29% more hours for ANY amount of pay because the work isn't there.

Forum List

Back