Chicago Teachers Strike Over Accountability

IGetItAlready

Rookie
Jul 27, 2012
Chicago teachers to strike after talks fail

...And talks fail for the reason teachers' unions are most afraid of, being held to account for their performance.
Emanuel said the district had offered the teachers a 16 percent pay raise over four years, doubling an earlier offer.
Lewis said she would not prioritize the issues, saying that they all were important to teachers.
That included concern over a new evaluation that she said would be based too heavily on students' standardized test scores, which she said would be unfair to teachers because it could not adequately account for outside factors that affect student performance, including poverty, violence and homelessness.
I'm sick to death of hearing the crying and whining from those who apparently see absolutely NO WAY to evaluate teachers so as to provide our children only the BEST, MOST EFFECTIVE educators.
I know there are some educators among us on USMB who will likely take tons of offense and attempt to knee jerk to labeling me "anti teacher".

But before you do, tell me what other profession is exempted from any of the direct effects of their performance. Teachers, for some inexplicable reason, have set themselves apart from the rest of society in that they'd like us all to believe there is no way to accurately gauge their effectiveness as all apparent failures MUST be pinned on the parents, society, demographics or some other arbitrary influence.

These people were offered an ENTIRE YEAR to "tweak" the new evaluation proposals to ENSURE that everything possible was done in creating a legitimate, fair means by which to measure success.

As a result of the unions' refusal to allow their people to do their job, about 400,000 Chicago students will be running the streets today, tomorrow and beyond. Great idea in a city with an exploding murder rate. :clap2:

Now I get why you might not want to be held to account for doing your job. We all have days when we wish we'd done things differently. But for the love of all things ridiculously deceitful, STOP standing in the way of more PROGRESSIVE (gotta love that word) educators and systems who do in fact hold their staff to account and whose success or failure depends entirely on their own ability to do their job. Their track record speaks for itself and when they fail, they're gone. Unlike you who fight for the "right to fail".

• Banned
Explains all the teachers' statements we've all heard over the years of, "If I'm successful at reaching out and touching one young mind...".

Clearly "touching one young mind" equals utter success in the minds of far too many.

It's puzzling. Chicago is the second highest in teacher pay, but the first in failing schools.

This worthless animal couldn't pass an 8th-grade reading or math test, let alone pass a teacher's test.

photo.jpg

If it's so easy, there might be plenty of openings.

All accountability in this stuff is on teachers with none on the kids that are supposed to learn.

In that area, teachers need hazard pay for just going to work.

Unless you've experienced it you don't really know.

All the tea in China couldn't get me to work in that war-torn environment, and probably none of you either.

If it's so easy, there might be plenty of openings.

All accountability in this stuff is on teachers with none on the kids that are supposed to learn.

In that area, teachers need hazard pay for just going to work.

Unless you've experienced it you don't really know.

All the tea in China couldn't get me to work in that war-torn environment, and probably none of you either.

Therein may lie the problem.
After so many hours spent each day working with immature, irrational, uneducated children, and all the sudden the argument is one of "no accountability on the kids"?!!!

For Fuck Sake already!!! Grow up and understand that the accountability on the part of the student WILL catch up and have it's day...jeezus already, who's teaching whom here?

It's puzzling. Chicago is the second highest in teacher pay, but the first in failing schools.

$76,000/year on average PLUS benefits! And they're offered double what they were demanding in pay which would have had them well over $80k within four years and they want to strike instead because in addition to running through the motions we ALSO expect them to perform?!!!

They do not want to be judged on a standard as they understand the Negro can't compete. These teachers understand that they just can't do it.

Hell no they can't do it. They've completely walked away from the useful curriculum of reading, science and math and have taken it upon themselves to instead teach progressive doctrine centered around feel good bullshit.
THAT'S why the Asians are kicking our asses where it matters. While we teach Billy that it's okay to have 3 dads or whatever our heroes in education consider themselves successful if Billy shows up for his indoctrination sessions each day. Any further measure of success or failure on the part of the educator is "unfair".

It's like hiring a wolf pack to raise your kids and then wondering a decade and a half later what the hell happened...

The difficulty our liberal friends have in standing up for these "teachers" is pretty telling.
Another thread fail as half the people here have no "clever" response. :(

The difficulty our liberal friends have in standing up for these "teachers" is pretty telling.

And with whom will Obama stand? The teachers, kids, his hometown and state or......the UNIONS?? ( all those votes and monies )

Who will give up first? The teachers or the city?? I say the city and hope I am wrong...

the problem is how do you determine how well a teacher performs?

if the teacher delivers the lessons and covers the scope and sequence of the course and all the kids fail then what?

What if you are a teacher in a good school, the school i teach in, and 98% of the students pass the state tests on the first try and still no teachers get a raise?

this may not be your clever response, but it's one coming from experience of being in the system and seeing the other side.

Forum List

Back