Chicago Teach Dytopia

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Rahm Emanuel vs. teachers union?

Chicago ranks towards the bottom in the country in nearly every country. Drop out rate is horrible, grades and scoring are horrible, geography is horrible, literacy rate is horrible, student to teacher ratios are horrible, in every category across the board you can come to only ONE conclusion: The schools, politicians, TEACHERS and CORRUPT UNIONS are FAILING our children in Chicago.

They aren't under paid by any means. First, they make on average $73K (vs the private sector of $53K). Second, they get their entire health insurance paid for. Third, they get one of the largest pensions in the country (without having to contribute to SS). Lastly, they get summers off, where they can teach in summer school or tutoring picking up another $25K-$30K!

Yet these non-underpaid corrupt assholes are DEMANDING 30% increases and reject longer school days (which the longer school days are in line with the rest of the country)!!!

Who they fuck do they think they are? It would be like the captain of the Titanic asking for a huge raise after he hit the ice berge.

Chicago wonders why so many people are not only fleeing the state, but Chicago itself!

Last edited:
Makes me wonder why Obama brought down Arnie Duncan to run the DOE. Duncan was the head of one of the worst school systems in the country and is now Secretary of Education.

Wait. I just answered my own question.

Makes me wonder why Obama brought down Arnie Duncan to run the DOE. Duncan was the head of one of the worst school systems in the country and is now Secretary of Education.

Wait. I just answered my own question.

He also put Van Jones in charge of the EPA! Very scary to have that guy in any place of power.

Then he put a nutjob in charge of the Department of Energy, who stated he wants European style gas prices and wants to crucify the Coal industry!

Comes down to Obama is just radical!

Nearly HALF of CPS students drop out (which is an increase from the 90s, when it was slightly greater than half)! That is enormously high. In the suburbs where I grew up out of 1000s that graduated you could count on one hand how many dropped out.

And I wonder how much those 54% who remain in school learn. I remember hearing on the news years back that over 3/4 of all CPS students count locate Chicago or Illinois on the map and alarming percentage of highschool students were illiterate!

And the teachers want a 30% raise! LOL!

Consortium on Chicago School Research finds graduation rates lower than typically reported

An analysis of individual student records by Elaine Allensworth, Associate Director of the consortium, showed that 54 percent of the students who entered CPS schools as freshmen in 2000 graduated four years later in 2004. The analysis also found large discrepancies in high school completion among racial groups, among schools serving similar kinds of students and between different neighborhoods in the city.

Overall, the study found steady improvement in graduation rates. In 1991, 48 percent of the students who entered high school at age 13 completed high school by age 19.

Despite the improvements, the gap between African-American students and others in 2004 is substantial. Among boys, only 39 percent of African-Americans graduate by age 19, compared with 51 percent of Latinos, 58 percent of whites, and 76 percent of Asians. Graduation rates were highest among girls: 57 percent for African-Americans, 65 percent for Latinas, 71 percent for whites, and 85 percent for Asians

Put it in perspective:

It would probably be easier to teach in Leavenworth prison than in a Chicago classroom.

GHook wouldn't survive the bus ride to school, let alone one day trying to control the thugs in a classroom...

Put it in perspective:

It would probably be easier to teach in Leavenworth prison than in a Chicago classroom.

GHook wouldn't survive the bus ride to school, let alone one day trying to control the thugs in a classroom...

I teach in a school where the graduation rate for Hispanic males is around 50 percent.

A few days ago, one of our USMB Mensa members stated that the Hispanics will soon be in charge of the country.

Now that's some scary shit.

Put it in perspective:

Not even close to the truth! They have problem kids no doubt, but if class sizes were smaller, the kids could be managable! Good teachers also are able to get through to kids. Yet the system is rigged to protect many deadbeat and crappy teachers and try the young, hungry and optimistic teachers like collective number in which no matter how hard you work you, merit won't get you a damn thing!

Put it in perspective:

Not even close to the truth! They have problem kids no doubt, but if class sizes were smaller, the kids could be managable! Good teachers also are able to get through to kids. Yet the system is rigged to protect many deadbeat and crappy teachers and try the young, hungry and optimistic teachers like collective number in which no matter how hard you work you, merit won't get you a damn thing!

Merit pay is a mirage in Indiana.

I have talked with some that are on this system and none have received merit pay.

The reason? The state has no funding for merit pay.

You can't get blood from a turnip...

Forum List

Back